Latest news:

Saints and Bedford
Discussion started by shrewsburyman , 26 June, 2020 09:33
Saints and Bedford
shrewsburyman 26 June, 2020 09:33
I notice that Northampton and Bedford have entered into a strategic partnership that involves them sharing players and coaches. Bedford have referred to it as lifesaving. I wonder if there will be a number of these in the future. I would imagine that our coaches would have enough on their hands for this to be an option for us.

Re: Saints and Bedford
Malvern Man 26 June, 2020 09:47
Which Championship club fits best with Worcester?

Garym 26 June, 2020 12:28
We haven't got any local championship clubs anymore as they have all been relegated. I though we used to do something similar with Moseley. The Saints/Bedford deal could any Sarries as well (shame) as they used to do a lot together

w4rriorz1980 26 June, 2020 21:36
Quote:
Malvern Man
Which Championship club fits best with Worcester?
Coventry if Wasps aren't interested.Hartpury obviously tied up with Glaws.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2020 10:18 by w4rriorz1980.

Faithful_City 27 June, 2020 06:35
Nottingham?

shrewsburyman 27 June, 2020 08:57
Somehow I canít see Coventry linking to Wasps.

Old Col 27 June, 2020 09:30
Concentrate on the local schools .

w4rriorz1980 27 June, 2020 10:16
Quote:
Old Col
Concentrate on the local schools .
Which I thought Warriors do extensively anyway but i guess there's untapped undiscovered talent waiting to be given a chance!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

w4rriorz1980 27 June, 2020 10:17
Quote:
Faithful_City
Nottingham?
Ties with Tigers?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Kimbo 27 June, 2020 12:59
Quote:
shrewsburyman
Somehow I canít see Coventry linking to Wasps.
Someone with sense.
(Hoping Cov don't don't go down any 'link-up' path TBH)

Old Col 27 June, 2020 13:15
Re. Schools--yes they do already ,,very successfully but could we use that as a basis to expaned E.G. how about endowing a scholarship or two ? Taster Stadium management courses ? a summer sports centre ( multi sports ) ? I bet there are many better ideas than mine to think of ways forward .

Offa 27 June, 2020 14:20
Bedford have never expressed an ambition for the top flight, so for them a link up makes sense. I don't think that they are the be-all and end-all, and would certainly be a death-nell for the lower club as far as ambition is concerned. I was very glad that we resisted being the SRU nursery which would have been in The Championship. We seem to have had no problem finding teams to send our young talent to, including in New Zealand.
Solly has clearly stated that he wants to align the playing styles of the first team and The Cavs. I would be in no hurry to find a Championship team to take over or prop up.

WorcesterSauce 27 June, 2020 18:56
We tap into the local private schools but barely touch the other 95% of kids.

Old Col 27 June, 2020 20:56
Exactly W.S. find a way to get some of them to make a rugby playing connection -enlarge the sense of community .

Offa 28 June, 2020 08:36
Jed appointment Bee Bannister to forge links with 1400 state schools throughout Worcs, Herefordshire, Birmingham and Shropshire. Did he go when Jed went or is he still in place?

Underdog 29 June, 2020 08:53
I think so Offa. I think he's good pals with Jed.

I've always thought the RFU should request the clubs each pair up with a championship club. It doesn't need to be financial support, but having players and coaches swap around a little bit would help raise standards in training for championship clubs and provide more experience to younger players and coaches for prem ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2020 08:57 by Underdog.

PMB 30 June, 2020 12:27
This sort of connection would also give something back to the Championship in return for all the players that Prem sides have benefited from over the years and need not stifle ambition. Both the Prem and Championship sides would benefit so it obviously will never happen.

WarwickEastie 01 July, 2020 15:09
We used to have an arrangement with Cov in the Dean Ryan days -but it all finished and there were some bitter words from a person I know on the board at Cov who was not happy with the way they were treated.

Didn't we also do things with Stourbridge?

Makes a lot of sense to make the relationship more formal and provide more support to your developing players - while helping the Div 1 side to have better players and coaching than they could otherwise afford....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net