Latest news:

Melani Nanai
Discussion started by kiddykid , 30 June, 2020 09:09
Melani Nanai
kiddykid 30 June, 2020 09:09
With another contract extension of a player whom we have hardly seen this is really good news.
If fit, he has to play although I fear it may be the beginning of the end of CP, but full back is where he has to be.
The squad looks healthier each day and with July 1st upon us the new coaching team can get to work. Canít wait,

Re: Melani Nanai
lokicrichtonfan 30 June, 2020 16:30
Can he play centre like Loki Crichton?

First40 01 July, 2020 06:05
Who can forget that kick!

Garym 01 July, 2020 07:27
Quote:
First40
Who can forget that kick!

Should have named the stand after him ....

centrethere 01 July, 2020 14:10
Is this the kick that as an opposition player he missed to keep us up, before he then moved to join us, having already signed for us?

centrethere 01 July, 2020 14:17
There are two others in this club, I believe. Names Ward and Drahm come to mind?

Garym 01 July, 2020 16:35
Quote:
centrethere
Is this the kick that as an opposition player he missed to keep us up, before he then moved to join us, having already signed for us?

Thats the one, right in front of the posts in the middle (the one even I could have kicked!)

shrewsburyman 01 July, 2020 17:37
Nanai is great running in open play but Iím just trying to remember what his kicking from hand is like?

w4rriorz1980 01 July, 2020 19:00
Quote:
shrewsburyman
Nanai is great running in open play but Iím just trying to remember what his kicking from hand is like?
Are you saying you're trying to remember as he never kicks out of hand or you genuinely can't remember?
I can't either! But as a natural 15 I'm sure he has!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

shrewsburyman 01 July, 2020 19:38
I canít remember seeing him kick from hand and just wondered how effective he was thatís all! As you say clearly he must be reasonably good having played at 15!

TVM Rides Again 02 July, 2020 09:16
Quote:
centrethere
There are two others in this club, I believe. Names Ward and Drahm come to mind?

I seem to remember that Shane Drahm stepped up and nailed the lot

centrethere 02 July, 2020 10:29
It would have been - Worcester Warriors vs Northampton Saints
Saturday, April 30 2005 - won 21 -19. - Drahm's last game before joining us. We needed points and so did Saints, for Harlequins to go down. Can't find a match report though.

Malvern Man 02 July, 2020 12:53
I'm pretty sure that Drahm got most if not all of his kicks, and Northampton very sportingly took him off early in the second half to avoid the conflict of interest. Wonderful day that - very hot, good game, good win, and both teams survived. The crowd shouted for Cecil who ran on to the pitch at the end to general ecstasy.

shrewsburyman 02 July, 2020 14:03
I remember waiting for the Quins result and how the Saints fans went from agony to ecstasy when the result was announced!

Fiver 03 July, 2020 15:33
I'm not sure Nanai needs to be a good kicker with his skills, although I'm sure he's pretty decent. Does anyone remember Heem ever kicking it? I can't, but then he was a force of nature and could always make the yards with ball in hand.

WorcesterSauce 03 July, 2020 19:46
Nanai definitely needs to have a good boot on him for the Prem - I donít know if he has or not as i donít think iíve seen him kick all that often, which is fine for a winger (which is why Heem basically never did) but heíll need to use it at FB.

AJWarriors 16 July, 2020 13:18
Just watching the Barbarians game vs South Africa from a few years ago. It has 3 Warriors playing. Nanai and Fats for the Baa Baas and Venter at 13 for SA.

Nanai is playing at 15 and he is unbelievable! He HAS to start at full back for us. We didnít see much of him last season because of our game plan of constantly kicking for territory, but if you watch his positioning playing at 15 on the field heís always involved. I think we badly wasted him out on the wing. He seems to either hover behind the fly half or out wide to either beat his man or set away the winger.

Hopefully Sherratt will recognise this and play him at full back, because on this viewing heís unreal. Iím actually wondering if heís eligible for England? His wife is English and he hasnít been capped at any level by the All Blacks or Samoa.

If he replicated what Iím currently watching for us which I think he will then Eddie wouldnít ignore a clear talent like that.

Will Greenwood is the Barbarians water boy and heís overheard on saying to Nanai ďepic for a skinny kid! You can play..love itĒ and then adds ďheís a heck of a playerĒ

Have a watch [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2020 14:12 by AJWarriors.

Bevere Warrior 16 July, 2020 16:30
I think the coaches appeared to be worried about Nanai being caught out under the high ball and having a limited kicking game.
Thereís clearly a sense of loyalty to Pennall after sticking by us over the years.
However Nanai must be given a run at 15 and there is no time better than when the season recommences with nothing at stake.

WorcesterSauce 16 July, 2020 17:22
It would go at complete odds with or overall vision which is playing as many home grown players as possible. Pennell may not be the youngest but he is a very solid full back who doesnít deserve to be dropped.

Bevere Warrior 16 July, 2020 19:57
Our overall vision is a team based on homegrown talent supplemented by players of significant quality. I would say playing Nanai fits that vision.

AJWarriors 16 July, 2020 21:03
100%

Malvern Man 16 July, 2020 21:39
Good to have two top class full backs!

WorcesterSauce 16 July, 2020 23:23
Quote:
Bevere Warrior
Our overall vision is a team based on homegrown talent supplemented by players of significant quality. I would say playing Nanai fits that vision.

Agree but dropping Pennell is clearly at complete odds with it.

If we are looking to make player/club loyalty a two way thing and are also looking at encouraging academy products to stay because they can have a very good career where they will be favoured over overseas players, then dropping our most loyal, consistent and most valuable ever academy product for an overseas player, even if they are very good, is sending out completely the wrong message. Especially when the home grown player in question has done nothing that is worthy of being dropped in their entire career with us. Pennell starts until he fails to perform, because his career is the very exact career path the owners want our academy lads to follow. What sort of message is if sending out to the young lads if you drop him now, to a highly paid foreigner, despite the fact that he is playing some of his best ever rugby?

Remember home grown is now absolute king. Will Butlerís has got a captaincy role solely on this basis, which speaks volumes.

AJWarriors 16 July, 2020 23:49
It has been a two way thing Sauce. We looked after Chris and stood by him when he went through a bad period of injuries and form a few years back and he repaid the club by staying with us through our difficult times. The guy is a legend, but Chris has been in and out of the team this year already based on that fact he hasnít been performing 100% in games hence why Shilly had been playing fullback in his place.

There comes a time when you have to start looking ahead like we currently are by playing our academy boys and giving them first team contracts. Theyíre not there just to make up the numbers. Chris is already planning for what heís doing next after rugby and l like Chris a lot as everyone does and I get on with him well, but you canít just accommodate someone just because theyíre a stalwart. If someone is rightfully in better form or performing at a better level than him then of course they should start for the benefit of the team and not the individual. What message does it send out if you know youíre performing better than someone, but that guy is being kept in the team just based on reputation...and trust me that has happened in the past at the club.

Same with GJ. He was up until recently club captain but wasnít on the same level as any of the back towers hence why he hasnít been playing.

In terms of home grown being king, youíre 100% right but thatís where Nick David, Perry Humphreys, Alex Hearle and Noah Heward come into it. These boys are the future and need experience and game time at a higher level. Iím not saying theyíre better than Chris by any means but these lads are frighteningly talented and Chris being at 33 doesnít have too much longer in the game. By all means keep him around..for someone like Nick David and Noah Heward heís the perfect guy to learn from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2020 23:51 by AJWarriors.

WorcesterSauce 17 July, 2020 00:33
I agree up to now it has been a two way thing but there is no reason that should stop now. There is a balance to be met for sure but if we are saying you should only get into positions on merit then why the hell is Butler anywhere near a captaincy position? Because heís captained a few england age groups and the cavs? Iíd rather have kept GJ in a vice captaincy role but it shows the route the club are taking and I think itís a good one so iím happy to go with it.

This season was a bit odd in that Saracens were relegated so we could rotate and why not. Before they were confirmed as down CP played all but 1 game he was fit, and that 1 game he missed was the game we basically threw, away at Saracens. In all the games he played he was brilliant. JS needs to up his game sharpish otherwise he will be overtaken quickly by the younger lot coming through.

And I agree on all the youngsters you name being very good up and coming players but that wasnít my point - my point was that, according to this new and obvious club policy, CP should be starting over Nanai. If we are discussing whether he should be replaced with home grown talent then that is an entirely different argument.

Iíve long maintained that Nanai is a complete waste of money. He plays in a position that is rarely game changing and in a position where we have an exceptional first choice and an embarrassment of younger players coming through. If Nanai is your number 15 then what happens to those young players you name? They are all essentially blocked by a highly paid foreign export. I very much doubt this is the way the owners envisaged our foreign imports being used.

His money shouldíve been spent on a prop or second row.

AJWarriors 17 July, 2020 07:03
The players I named all play on the wing apart from Noah so itís up to them to make that position their own.

TrueWarrior 17 July, 2020 07:18
I agree that the way he has been used makes him a bit of a waste thus far. However, if he is played in the position that caused everyone to sit up and take note in Super 15, he will fly.

By your logic Worcestersauce, we should never have any foreign players as they will always be taking academy/domestic player's spots? I love the policy of the club but you have to supplement academy players with experience, I highly doubt that any team whereby all players are 25 or under would be a successful side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2020 07:32 by TrueWarrior.

Whispering_Death 17 July, 2020 08:02
No player should ever be guaranteed a spot, even homegrown players. Nanai clearly should be playing full back and should at the very least get a shot at competing for the shirt. Whether heís a waste of money or not is irrelevant because heís here so we have to make best use of him. Chris is a legend of the club but he isnít the player he was and yet at the moment there is pretty much zero real competition for his position which isnít right.

WorcesterSauce 17 July, 2020 08:52
AJ I did think that too, but if they are wingers I'm not sure what their relevance therefore is to the FB position and whether or not they are better than CP?

TW that isnít my logic at all - as I said we have a lot of home grown players who can play fullback and itís a position i donít think we struggle in. Prop in particular, however, is a position where we donít have much depth and only have Kai Owen just about to emerge. Money spent here wouldíve been better. As before i canít imagine that our foreign import policy was supposed to be used in positions where we already have very good homegrown talent.

lokicrichtonfan 17 July, 2020 09:08
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
It would go at complete odds with or overall vision which is playing as many home grown players as possible. Pennell may not be the youngest but he is a very solid full back who doesnít deserve to be dropped.

Absolutely.

Abmatt 17 July, 2020 10:54
Home grown or not, what gets you your starting spot is form.

The reality is that CP has a season or 2 at best left in him. MN is a quality fb when in that position. Now that solly has seen what the youngsters can do perhaps we will see him played there more, in a rotation with Chris.

Malvern Man 17 July, 2020 11:17
There will be plenty of scope for rotation with the compressed fixture schedule coming up.

AJWarriors 17 July, 2020 11:29
Definitely. Itís vital we have 2 quality players in each position so Chris will get game time for sure

WorcesterSauce 17 July, 2020 12:00
I completely agree with that, especially in the last few games of this season it would be stupid not to rotate players in every position. I actually think the break may benefit CP (and other older players) and allow them to perhaps go one more season than was previously possible. Age is just a number, as DOC showed us.

Thinking about MN and rotation - we have got very lucky with Nanai as the break has meant he has missed 9 fewer games than he shouldíve with his injury. Iím assuming he is going to be fit for the season restart.

Fiver 17 July, 2020 13:52
For me Nanai has to play, as long as he is the best in his position. If we continue to play Chris, mainly due to his Worcester origins, that also means putting players like Beck, Venter, Weir and Hougaard on the bench. You pick your best XV depending on each game. Certain games will allow for the younger players, but only in certain positions against certain clubs.

Regarding foreign players taking positions where home grown talent could play, that's where you build your squad correctly. Under Dean Ryan our youngsters would never have had the chance as he only went for experience, but how do you get that if you're never allowed to play. Players like Josh Adams would still have been in the Bin Juice XV under a DOR like Dean without the injuries we suffered.

Luckily the current set up will play our exciting young crop, but you need to be pragmatic. For example, I love to watch Ollie Lawrence play, but I'd team him up with someone experienced. That's where a player like Beck or Venter will help, shoring up the defence and doing a bit of on field coaching.

If our wingers were David and Heward, I'd currently play Chris at full back as he has tons of experience in the English game. However, if I had my more experienced wings playing, I'd 100% put Nanai in. Full backs can be devastating, just look at what Alex Goode used to do to us (admittedly with Charlie Hodgson's genius chess game), not to mention Telusa Vianu.

centrethere 19 July, 2020 01:05
Has Nanai played fullback for us yet? Good chance now to do so. Agree on a balance though. Forgotten what's happened to Ed Fidow?

AJWarriors 19 July, 2020 01:19
Not yet no. I think everyone is craving for Melani to start there. Ed wasnít 100% since he arrived from what Iíve been told, but before the lockdown he was starting to show what heís about. Iíve heard heís in great shape now and the coaches are excited about him

Brummagem7's 19 July, 2020 22:15
I rate Melani from what i've seen of him to be fair, he always seems to just get past that initial contact and comes across as quite long. It would be brilliant to see him at full back with the wingers we've got at the minute, could potentially have an exciting back three going forward.

w4rriorz1980 20 July, 2020 10:13
Did any of us put the question forward to ' ask the coaches ' about playing Melani @ FB? I've yet to watch it.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

TrueWarrior 20 July, 2020 12:09
I did but it was not answered

Blue&GoldWarrior 28 July, 2020 15:14
With the centres looking lighter on numbers I wonder if Pens could play at 13 on occasions. Im sure he played there a bit in his younger days. Certainly has the attributes for it.

Offa 28 July, 2020 16:41
I think that he has occasionally, but from my recollection, without any great success. Certainly worth considering but I think Van Breda may be better equipped to step in if needed.

AJWarriors 28 July, 2020 18:03
Van Breda has looked really good at 12/13

kiddykid 28 July, 2020 18:53
It HAS to be van Breda if our regular centres are unavailable.

ROLLO 28 July, 2020 20:54
Blue&goldwarrior it is inside centre as JP has pointed put where we are a bit light not outside. I think that VanBreda could play at inside and possibly Venter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net