Latest news:

JP Doyle is made redundant.
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 20 August, 2020 09:13
JP Doyle is made redundant.
Faithful_City 20 August, 2020 09:13
Quote:
Wales online

Veteran referee made redundant by RFU

Veteran referee JP Doyle is the latest casualty of the RFU's financial cuts, according to The Times.

The 41-year-old had been officiating in the Premiership since 2006 as well as on the international stage, including the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The report claims the RFU are facing losses of up to £107million and are expected to let 139 employees go this week.

Doyle was one of the 10 full-time referees on the RFU's elite last, all of whom were informed their jobs were at risk while the union attempted to cut costs.

The Irishman reportedly learned his fate last week.

Shame as I liked JP

JP

Re: JP Doyle is made redundant.
TVM Rides Again 20 August, 2020 09:58
Never good news for anyone. Hope he lands on his feet

NW2 20 August, 2020 11:30
Possibly my least favourite referee, but I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Malvern Man 20 August, 2020 12:22
He lost us a game against Leicester with a terrible error, but got us back in the Premiership in 2015 by not being afraid to penalise Bristol and adding on the time they were trying to waste.

Villages12 20 August, 2020 12:52
I was never a fan of JP but on the whole he was very fair and will be loss to the game. There are others that I would have rather seen dismissed.

Incidentally, on Rugby Addict it says that he has "reportedly been made redundant". Does anyone know for sure ?

Villages12 21 August, 2020 14:47
Latest news I've seen suggests that the Pro14 are pushing to get JP as one of their referees.

TVM Rides Again 21 August, 2020 16:19
Good stuff.

lokicrichtonfan 24 August, 2020 02:42
Quote:
NW2

How very sincere of you.

shrewsburyman 24 August, 2020 08:34
I quite liked him as well and all I can say is that either they wanted to get rid of him and are using the cuts as cover or they are really desperate and scraping the barrel.

NW2 24 August, 2020 11:15
Quote:
lokicrichtonfan
Quote:
NW2

How very sincere of you.

Was that sarcasm LCF? Hope not because my post was genuine.

Faithful_City 24 August, 2020 14:04
He is not being made redundant, his job is. Therefore he cannot be replaced.

JP

TVM Rides Again 25 August, 2020 09:15
Quote:
Faithful_City
He is not being made redundant, his job is. Therefore he cannot be replaced.
JP

A sage observation JP. They basically can't recruit another referree for 2 years! Unless he had a very particular job title.

Faithful_City 25 August, 2020 10:02
Correct.

But could they employ part timers?

JP

Whispering_Death 25 August, 2020 12:18
Yes they can if circumstances change, and they can recruit a referee at a different level if in the current structure they have different seniority levels.

Faithful_City 03 September, 2020 12:26
This may help clarity.

Quote:
Xpert HR

Once employment has terminated by reason of redundancy, if the economic situation suddenly changes and the employer needs to employ someone, it may re-employ the redundant employee. There is no obligation on it to wait a certain period of time before offering re-employment to that individual. The employer is under no obligation to offer the redundant employee their job back; it is entitled to recruit someone else instead.

When assessing whether or not there was a genuine redundancy situation for the purposes of the fairness of the dismissal, an employment tribunal will look at the entire period from the start of redundancy consultation until the employee's employment terminates on the ground of redundancy. If the employer engages someone else in a particular role shortly after making an employee redundant from that role, this may cast doubt on the genuineness of the redundancy should the employee challenge it by bringing an unfair dismissal claim. In these circumstances, the employer would need to demonstrate that the redundancy situation was still subsisting at the time the redundant employee was dismissed and it was only after that date that its economic position changed.

If the employer does wish to re-employ the redundant employee but also wants to ensure that their continuity of employment is broken by the intervening redundancy, there should be a clear calendar-week break (starting on a Sunday) between the termination of one period of employment and the commencement of the new period. Any continuity of service that there might otherwise have been will normally be broken, provided that there has been no agreement between the parties to preserve continuity and the new contract makes clear that it is a new period of employment. To err on the side of caution, a minimum two-week break in service would be advisable.

The position is different if the offer of new employment is made before the original employment has ended, ie if the employee is given notice of redundancy but, before the employment ends, the employer offers them a new job. In these circumstances, continuity will be preserved if the new job starts no more than four weeks after the redundancy date.

For statutory redundancy payment purposes, continuity of employment is broken where a redundancy payment has been paid to the employee and the employee is then re-engaged under a new contract of employment. This prevents the employee's service counting twice for statutory redundancy payment purposes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net