Warriors v Quins
shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 18:07
7 - 0 to us

Re: Warriors v Quins
shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 18:10
Fabulous offload by Ollie.

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 18:17
12 - 0 Weir misses a fairly easy conversion.

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 18:21
Two driven line outs by CDP and Ollie

w4rriorz1980 26 August, 2020 18:21
We're playing like Chiefs with these scores from driving mauls!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

manrow 26 August, 2020 18:25
Its flattering to be copied!

w4rriorz1980 26 August, 2020 18:26
Bloody hell.Welcome to the game Heward!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 18:35
Annet scores the third driven line out try 19 - 0

Abmatt 26 August, 2020 18:35
Letís not throw this one away

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 18:36
Third try given to Annett

w4rriorz1980 26 August, 2020 18:37
Another Chiefs-esque score!

Has anyone else noticed Nick's sharks in his hair?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2020 18:40 by w4rriorz1980.

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 18:46
Fourth try by FH score 26 - 0. Half time

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 18:46
Maul is looking a real weapon for the forwards. Francois looks on fire too,the best Iíve seen him play since he arrived. Forwards are playing exceptionally well,but very impressed with how we are playing

w4rriorz1980 26 August, 2020 18:52
163 metres made compared to Quins 23.Quite telling that stat.

Still a strong Quins outfit despite some absences but we've beaten Quins numerous times @ home when they've put their best team out.

We need this win as not expecting much from Sunday.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2020 18:55 by w4rriorz1980.

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 18:52
Yes and great line speed in defence. JT would seem to have been working on the line out drive and the defence.

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 19:08
29 - 0 weir penalty

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 19:28
Breakaway try 29 - 9

w4rriorz1980 26 August, 2020 19:29
Kudos to Quins for their persistence but what an awful try to give away!

C'mon boys!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 19:30
That was really poor from us then. Beck not having the best 2-3 minutes there

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 19:33
29 - 7 sorry good defence

Abmatt 26 August, 2020 19:36
Losing some momentum here.

Mighty Warrior 26 August, 2020 19:37
More like Searle should have held onto the ball and not shipped a hospital pass

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 19:43
Pen count creeping up with a few silly ones. Canít fault the effort in defence though

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 19:45
Umm close decision 29 - 14 after 73 mins

w4rriorz1980 26 August, 2020 19:45
Quote:
Mighty Warrior
More like Searle should have held onto the ball and not shipped a hospital pass
Outjumped Ashton though which is no mean feat considering the size difference.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 19:48
Nothing wrong with Searle at all.

shrewsburyman 26 August, 2020 19:53
A win 29 - 14

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 20:01
Very very good from that starting 15. The improvement in the forwards is very obvious! That was my favourite combination with that starting 8. Half backs with Francois and Dunky were very good,but the rest of the backs havenít clicked yet. I think on the evidence Iíve seen my back three would be Fidow,Nanai and David. Hopefully theyíll click soon but Iím very happy with what I saw before the replacements came on.

Solly will need to get hold of the reps because the penalty count was ridiculous during a 15 minute period. I donít want to be that guy but Tome Howe isnít impressing me at all. His defence is way off and general play is lacking intelligence.

Other than that very good! We look an entertaining team. Stand outs for me weíre Hougaard who looks back to his best and all the forwards

Threepear 26 August, 2020 20:11
Agreed, Howe makes metres but should not be starting. Heward looked comfortable enough, but I'd like to see Humphries, David and Nanai starting. Is Fidow injured? Not a bad effort by the team minus the penalty count, forwards we're exceptional and the Defence was solid. I think the highlight is the lack of daft kicking since Omars departure....

lokicrichtonfan 26 August, 2020 20:11
Beat a bunch of kids and not even that convincingly

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 20:13
Very evident isnít it Threepear. We look a pretty exciting side with some of our play. Iím really liking this new style we are playing too. We look more of a unit with the backs helping with the mauls.

Threepear 26 August, 2020 20:13
Cheer up!

Threepear 26 August, 2020 20:18
I'd also add the Venter / Lawrence combo looked sharp - will be interesting to see where Butler comes in to it all. Overall great defence, more heads up rugby and we even scored in the second half (although a 7 would have been more welcome than 3). Looking forward to that back 3 clicking, if we can start completing those wide moves we will be looking at a bumper crop of tries in the coming weeks!

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 20:18
Lol and I thought we won?

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 20:22
Quote:
Threepear
I'd also add the Venter / Lawrence combo looked sharp - will be interesting to see where Butler comes in to it all. Overall great defence, more heads up rugby and we even scored in the second half (although a 7 would have been more welcome than 3). Looking forward to that back 3 clicking, if we can start completing those wide moves we will be looking at a bumper crop of tries in the coming weeks!

It did but I think we lacked a bit of width with Venter being a direct runner at 12. To be fair he created gaps but I prefer a ball playing 12 and Butler is that guy. Iíd like to see him and Lawrence in midfield to see what they do. They know each otherís game from the academy too so they should instantly click. Hopefully itís all coming together,but the replacements need to keep their composure a little more because if that was a tighter game then we probably would have lost that in the last 15 against sterner opposition.

Simba 26 August, 2020 20:22
Need to keep the energy and intensity up for more than 50 mins. If they can do that then we will be fine.

Brummagem7's 26 August, 2020 20:30
Good bonus point win, great to see the lineout so strong, could turn into a real weapon. Thought both of the wingers were pretty poor if I had to be critical. Searle showed that he could hold up under pressure although I have to say that if we're looking to progress and crack the top 6 we need more than three quarter performances, it's still a good bonus point nonetheless.

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 20:31
I thought we looked comfortable up until the 60 minute mark and the momentum swung once our replacements came on. They seemed to lack composure and the daft penalty count started rising.

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 20:34
Quote:
Brummagem7's
Good bonus point win, great to see the lineout so strong, could turn into a real weapon. Thought both of the wingers were pretty poor if I had to be critical. Searle showed that he could hold up under pressure although I have to say that if we're looking to progress and crack the top 6 we need more than three quarter performances, it's still a good bonus point nonetheless.

I agree on the wingers..to be fair Pens didnít look too great either. Heward needs a bit of time though and needs to back himself. Howe is at an age where he should be commanding a starting spot but his game isnít great in my opinion. Iím not being an @#$%& but his defence and tackling is very poor and his rugby intelligence isnít too great either

Warrior7 26 August, 2020 20:40
I thought Howe's defence looked improved today, great hit on Will Evans to stop an overlap. His reaction to that dropped ball that led to the Ashton try wasn't great, though.

The starting forwards were great, hard to single any of them out really. For a man they were all better than their opposites. Lewis was the only forward to make an impact off the bench though. Hougaard was the pick of the backs, but Venter gave us some decent go forward. Back 3 didn't look very dangerous.

Andrew Kitchener puts in a lot of effort but really needs to sort out his discipline. Every game I have seen him come of the bench, he has given away atleast 2 stupid penalties. It was 4 today.

Really happy with the first half, disappointed with the 2nd, but it was great to get a win!

ROLLO 26 August, 2020 20:44
A win we needed, and a win we got so well done to all. Not a perfect peformance, but dominant scrum and maul, lineout pretty good but an alarmimng number of penalties from both sides.
Hougaart MotM, but special menton of DuPreez. CP good under the high ball, but agree that we need to sort out the wingers.
It has to be said though a somewhat callow Quins side and althogh close I didnt think that their second try should have stood althihgyou could argue that with one of ours.
Happy night though and on to Exeter.

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 20:47
Me either. No idea how that TMO gave that as a try

Brummagem7's 26 August, 2020 20:55
AJWarriors1, I wouldn't be against Fidow, Nanai and David as a back three, has the potential to be electric. I think if either of the wingers got on the scoresheet today we don't complain, it can be a bit of a numbers game for the wide men so I try not to be too harsh. The game did pass them by though.

AJWarriors1 26 August, 2020 21:12
I think with Fidow,Nanai and David thereís a lot of pace and flair. All three have a very good step on them and are elusive runners especially David and Nanai. Fidow adds that physical edge that Bryce used to offer and all 3 are very quick.

I donít think Noah or Tom backed themselves today when they had the ball. They both looked short of ideas. Noah will improve with experience though

Brummagem7's 26 August, 2020 21:20
Beck Cutting likes the hustle and bustle. Head dropped a little bit against Wasps but had a solid cameo today, hopefully he gets a crack at a strong chiefs XV next round.

TrueWarrior 26 August, 2020 22:22
Thought Schonert, Waller and Annett as a trio were the best I've seen them in the loose today. I have been critical in the past that maybe our tight 5 dont give us enough go forward but certainly not on tonight's evidence.

Watching from home, everything just looks better, particularly our attacking style and general game plan. The fluency and speed of our attack is getting much better and is much better than what the players were instructed to do when Omar had a heavy influence. We seem to be playing in a similar style to how Bris do now but a bit tighter and a bit more lateral when attacking - something to work on.

We are missing 2/3rds of a team through injury/suspension so I hope we can find a way to keep these players fresh, particularly in the second row.

I would like to see a back 3 combo of Humphreys, Nanai and Fidow eventually when all are fit/ not suspended.

5 points against a weakened side but 5 points is 5 points when you haven't won in a while!

Faithful_City 26 August, 2020 22:48
Back three for me

Fidow, Humphries and Nanai

Jp

Faithful_City 27 August, 2020 08:39
What a fantastic win last night, the first hal was awesome!

We seemed to go off the boil as soon as the bench came on and we lost the key leaders in Du Preez, Weir and Hougaard. Big Ted has a lot to learn about leadership yet.

Greatly game and huge commitment from everyone

JP

shrewsburyman 27 August, 2020 09:35
I note that before the match Paul Gustard said ĎWe have picked a strong team who deserve their opportunity to playí. Well it may not have been their strongest team but hardly callow as some have suggested. Hougaard man of the match for me and back to his very best. It would seem that the rest has done him the world of good. All the forwards were terrific with the scrum and line-out near perfect. The intensity and speed of the defence was such a marked improvement from what we saw earlier this season. From what I saw last night JT is having a real impact.

AJWarriors1 27 August, 2020 09:37
Iím going to watch it again later,but the thing I noticed the most is the vast improvement in the forwards. Obviously the set piece has improved immensely but having said that we have been decent at scrum time for a while, but I canít remember the last time we have been so effective at the maul? I mean we scored 4 tries from 4 mauls..when was the last time that happened?

On an individual analysis the forwards attacking game is what sticks out the most for me. All three of the front row beat men,offloaded in the tackle and made huge yards going forward, which enabled us to keep the speed of the attack going. To a man there has been an improvement in their skill set in the pack where theyíll look for a pass rather than carry into contact. The back row were extremely physical punching holes and tackling everything in site. Kitch really bosses the line out really well too.

The backs are almost there. You can see the partnership familiarity with Francois and Dunky. Iíve noticed Dunky sits a lot deeper whereas before he used to take it to the line. It gives him more options and the dummy runners are more effective. I think the partnership in midfield isnít set yet although I did like Venter at 12 and Lawrence at 13. Iíd like to see what Butler and Lawrence are like before next season starts as I think a ball playing 12 would be ideal with our attacking options. Back 3 is still an open debate..Nanai is a cert at 15 but the other positions are open as of now.

I feel itís all coming together and you can see the team is one as a unit and they play for each other. The coaches so far have done an amazing job in the short period of time they have had. We just need a defence coach now so JT can go back to coaching the forwards

Malvern Man 27 August, 2020 09:50
Paul Gustard's comments are astonishing. He is blaming his players when the fault is entirely his for underestimating Worcester and not selecting a stronger side. Bizarrely enough, he made the same mistake last November when we won at the Stoop.

Abmatt 27 August, 2020 10:24
Very much a tale of 2 halves.

1st- we dominated them, but they were poor. Still a few too many penalties. Very much dominated by the forwards.

2nd- other than the early penalty we went off the boil. Quins changes helped them and they got on the front foot. Then the penalty count started to rise and we only came alive when we went down to 14. Deserved winners but if the game had been 10 mins longer I think the result would have been much closer, as we didnít look like scoring.

Kitch Jr gives away too many penalties in crucial positions.

Starting back row functioned well but Iíd prefer to see MK, CdP and Lewis.

We still need to replace Heem and Josh.

Finally dare I say this, Ted May be club captain, but a match captain he is not. Not vocal enough and doesnít seem to talk to Sir. He has a lot to learn.

kiddykid 27 August, 2020 10:41
Much has been said about our performance.........the first half was great to watch and we definitely did NOTplay like a team two places off the bottom .
However, as at Wasps we began to lose our edge in the second half. The opposition bring on their subs and up their game, we bring on our subs but somehow we donít get the same effect. As an earlier contributor said, another ten minutes and we may have been really struggling. So, are we fit enough?
Physically, we are probably the smallest/lightest team in the Premiership so do we find it too overpowering having large lump after large lump to tackle? Our back row have some great players and now we are beginning to have real choice as we go on so that is great. Is Joe Batley to be the answer? Do we need more big lumps ourselves?
I thought that Hougaard was brilliant, Ollie continues to grow in stature, Big Kitch was a real leader but as someone else said, Ted needs to make his presence felt with his own teammates - unless I Missed something.
But overall, what a great feeling to see the team playing with real intent - I just wish I could have been sitting in my seat at Sixways to see it all live.

AJWarriors1 27 August, 2020 12:30
For me when the replacements come on there seems to be an over eagerness to impress. For example the Wasps game we were getting done for persistent off sides even though we were constantly being warned..pretty much the same yesterday too. Physicality wise I donít see a problem at all,as we seem to be driving the opposition backwards in contact even when the replacements come on..I think itís a bit of naivety and inexperience at the highest level for some of the younger lads coming on at the moment as our penalty count raised dramatically as soon as they came on

Faithful_City 27 August, 2020 12:59
I have just inserted last nights highlights a few of points.

Their 1st try was purely a mistake we made in attack and they hacked on our dropped ball

Their 2nd try was short.

Did you notice they had a player stood up on our side of the maul making no attempt to get onside and in one case pulling Ted Hill by the shirt and Makepiece did not once penalise them. This interfered with our construction around the maul.

We were the better side, played the better rugby and fully deserved a TBP win.

JP

Offa 27 August, 2020 13:34
Good to win. Looking at the teams we should have done, but in years gone past we would not have done so, or else made very heavy weather of it. Well done to team and coaches.

In this very odd mini-season I am just looking for progress and a sense that a new and improved coaching system is in play. I do believe that we are starting to see this.

The Chiefs game is likely to be a bit of a cricket score, and I think that we just need to accept whatever we get this weekend.

Villages12 27 August, 2020 15:13
The TV Commentary was worth noting.

The guy mentioned our non winning since December in the Prem at least 18 times.

He also said that we had lost a world class defensive coach in the last few weeks and it showed ! What match was he watching ? Overall we defended well but we actually attacked at the same time and didnít just kick the ball away !

We are missing our strong wingers and Iím looking forward to seeing them back. If everyone is back from injury our benchwould be much stronger.

I also noticed that the commentator said that ďwe saw Shilcock wandering around before the kick off in ďone of those bootie things ď. Anyone know whatís happened there. He seems to be constantly injured with foot problems ?

Overall a great result though a bit tense over the last 15 minutes !

Come on You Warriors ! Now for Exeter.....

AJWarriors1 27 August, 2020 16:46
We had him commentate for the game against Glaws and he was exactly the same. Nothing but negative comments about the team although he did say in both games that we donít play anything like a team thatís down the bottom so I can let him off on that bit

shrewsburyman 28 August, 2020 15:41
I would imagine that Exeter will run up a huge score then give their young guys on bench a go for experience. A nice place to be if youíre Exeter!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net