Latest news:

Exeter v Wuss - The Match Thread
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 30 August, 2020 08:21
Exeter v Wuss - The Match Thread
Faithful_City 30 August, 2020 08:21
It’s going to be as big a difference in capability as it was yesterday between Sale and Bristol. It will be like England playing Holland.

This sort of mismatch would not be allowed in boxing it would be unsafe. Players will try to prove that they can play at this level and could risk very serious injury. The stupidity of money.

Still it’s going to happen, let’s hope and wish them all a safe and injury free contest.

I feel if we can keep the score difference in single figures it will be a miracle of earth shattering revelations, if we can keep the difference below 30 we will have done an outstanding job.

Go for it “boys” and good luck.

JP

Re: Exeter v Wuss - The Match Thread
shrewsburyman 30 August, 2020 09:37
I think that the Exeter tactics will be to build a huge lead early on them empty their bench so that 1st 15 players don’t use up too much of their time allowance. On paper I would suggest that this is a far greater mismatch than the Sale v Bristol that I watched yesterday.

Faithful_City 30 August, 2020 11:37
I think you’re dead right SM

JP

Faithful_City 30 August, 2020 12:00
They’re taking the “P”

Quote:

One man looking to help lead the charge for the Chiefs will be Wales and British Lions winger Cuthbert, who marked his first return to action in the win at Sale Sharks, having been sidelined with a serious shoulder injury sustained in the Heineken Champions Cup win against La Rochelle.
The 30-year-old will line-up in a Chiefs side that shows 15 changes from that which took to the field against Bristol Bears on Tuesday night. He starts in an all British Lions back three, which also comprises Stuart Hogg and Jack Nowell, the latter of whom is making his first appearance since pre-lockdown.

Despite the powerful look to the home starting XV, Cuthbert insists there is a steely focus amongst the home ranks as they prepare to tackle a Warriors side, who come into the game on the back of an impressive 29-14 home win against Harlequins.

“Worcester look hungry and they were 29-0 up at half time in their match against Harlequins,” said Cuthbert. “They looked good in defence off the line and they have got some key players like (Francois) Hougaard and (Duncan) Weir who like to run the game for them.

“It will be a tough game for us, so we need to make sure we do our basics and our set-piece well. We need to get off the line and not give them any time, just like they won’t give us any time. For us, we just need to get our game set in stone.”

They have a “Lions” back 3 against our 3 who don’t have 10 Warriors caps between them!

Full Article HERE

JP

centrethere 30 August, 2020 15:10
Is it on TV now or in a hour's time?

Underdog 30 August, 2020 15:20
It's on now.

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 15:35
No surprise but we are being physically battered. The bad thing is their backs are stronger than our forwards!

shrewsburyman 30 August, 2020 15:49
38 0 at hall time

Brummagem7's 30 August, 2020 15:52
That Nowell try was hard to watch

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 15:56
It was considering he had GJ and someone else hanging off him.

Our conditioning team need to get our boys on the protein shakes and the weights. Young Kitch looks unbelievably physically small and he’s 24 now. Should be far bigger.

Few glaring stuff is that we seem to lack conviction in both forward and backs in our attacking phases. We look tentative.

Exeter though..can’t see anyone beating them for a long long time. They’ll dominate English rugby for years to come. Amazing in everything they do

w4rriorz1980 30 August, 2020 15:59
Chiefs fans will wax lyrical & salivate over this game but there was only going to be one winner.

More effort in the 2nd half lads! Thinking of the game next week where our 1st XV (& bench) will be more than a match for Briz.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Threepear 30 August, 2020 15:59
Yeh Exeter are on another planet, let alone another level! This squad does highlight the dead weight we are carrying around on the pitch. Would like to see the bench get a run out now and see some positive rugby played. Fingers crossed Kitto gets a run

Whispering_Death 30 August, 2020 16:03
It’s been very noticeable in the games where we have played the young lads that we don’t compete for the ball at the breakdown in defence at all. Exeter just get free, unchallenged, quick ball. You cannot beat Exeter like that....appreciate we obviously were not going to win but that tactic seems crazy. There was one occasion where Cutting just stood there and watched an Exeter player on the floor with no support, just letting the Exeter support eventually get there and recycle.

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 16:05
I like Kitto too,but yea our depth needs to improve quite a lot if we want to compete. Young lads are doing ok,but they look scared. I can get that but if they want to push on at least back yourself.

David is doing ok and so is Butler. Hearle hasn’t had enough ball to judge just yet. Van Breda does nothing for me at full back. Pretty poor first up tackling too

Brummagem7's 30 August, 2020 16:12
Looking for a couple of tries just so the lads can show us something

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 16:20
Nick David has really impressed me. His defence is excellent and fronts up really well. Really impressed with the reading of his game

Bevere Warrior 30 August, 2020 16:25
Quote:
AJWarriors1
I like Kitto too,but yea our depth needs to improve quite a lot if we want to compete. Young lads are doing ok,but they look scared. I can get that but if they want to push on at least back yourself.
David is doing ok and so is Butler. Hearle hasn’t had enough ball to judge just yet. Van Breda does nothing for me at full back. Pretty poor first up tackling too

Cutting doesn’t look out of place and as you say David and Butler going well.
I don’t like speaking Ill but I just don’t get the point of Van Velz.
As hard as he try's he makes no ground going forward, doesn’t make turnovers and is largely passive in defence.
I also don’t understand how Solly was banging on last year about Kitch Jnr being a sure fire future England player? He is far too small and he should not be considered a youngster any more. If he was able to put the size on he would have by now.

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 16:31
At 24 he’s definitely not a youngster now. To be honest I think the experienced players apart from Lewis who has been excellent have let the younger lads down a bit. The young lads have put the effort in whereas the older ones have looked poor and not shown any inspiration. Kitto has made a huge difference compared to Heaney too

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 16:33
Why is it when I think Van Breda has been poor he goes and scores? Lol

w4rriorz1980 30 August, 2020 16:40
....or doesn't score!

Agree about Kitch.Got the height but absolutely no bulk.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Brummagem7's 30 August, 2020 16:46
Some of these lads are still pretty raw, just because we're being licked doesn't mean they won't make the grade. This could've easily have happened to a stronger XV.

Agree that David has done well, he's a real talent and to be fair Hearle doesn't look too bad either when he's on the front foot. Personally think Searle and Cutting have done okay, I liked Searle's aggression in getting us up the pitch in the early stages and as for Cutting, he always showed for a carry and looked industrious even if he was isolated at times going into contact.

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 16:53
Searle’s defence is good despite his size. Kitto has made an instant impression as has Coxy and Matti Williams. Montgomery has played well too. David is my man of the match by some distance though. The big difference for me is the forwards though. Our first team has the ball playing ability where the others don’t as of yet. They’re carrying into brick walls at the moment instead of playing which is difficult against this Exeter team

Bevere Warrior 30 August, 2020 16:54
Speaking of bulk, Matti Williams hasn’t half put some on.

shrewsburyman 30 August, 2020 17:01
Agree with the other comments and that Searle looks very promising.

Brummagem7's 30 August, 2020 17:02
Hopefully David gets back into a stronger XV, him Nanai and Fidow would be brilliant to see.

Threepear 30 August, 2020 17:07
Bit of a drubbing but Kitto performed really well, as did David. Cox and Williams also gave us a bit of go forward - on that note, what has Matti been eating? He's massive! - good energy and width in the last 20 with the young guns mostly putting the older guys (notably Black and Van Vleze) to shame. More or less as expected so I'm not to dispirited by the loss.

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 17:10
Yep David is the one for me. He looks such a good player both in defence and attack. He’s very intelligent with his rugby brain too. After that game I’m very excited about him.

Matti Williams looks a tank!! Biggest I’ve seen him. I think as the game went on our attack was very telegraphed and predictable. I thought Clegg made a difference in the line out..James Scott seems way off at the moment. Kitto bosses the forwards around and sped the game up which made a huge difference. Not much to take from that game but as I say Nick David is class

WorcesterSauce 30 August, 2020 17:24
Just a pointless exercise of men vs boys. Starting to wonder as to what the point in restarting the season was? Saracens are down, Exeter are clear champions and the mid week games are making games farcical.

Should’ve just ended it with the aim of restarting in September with the new season.

Sir Mills 30 August, 2020 17:38
Worcester sauce i completely agree. Premiership rugby have somehow managed to weaken the league by restarting it. The one-sided nature to most of the games this weekend is awful for the sport. They seem to have tried to follow the football in terms of a schedule without any thought about the quality of the games.

Its an awful spectacle and being thrashed 50 odd nil won't help "develop" younger players.

There should at least be an agreement between the clubs to rest players in the same game week.

Brummagem7's 30 August, 2020 17:46
To be fair a strong XV could have put in a similar performance as the one today.

HeemMachine 30 August, 2020 18:05
Is Lewis injured? He was subbed for cutting coming back on. Hope all ok and the other lads injury free as well

AJWarriors1 30 August, 2020 18:26
I thought he went off with concussion but it was for a blood injury so hopefully will be fine

w4rriorz1980 30 August, 2020 18:27
I respect Martin Bayfield enormously.

But in the summary of the scores after the Glaws v Tiggers match he mentions Warriors were lacklustre against Chiefs.We put a helluva lot more effort in than the scoreline suggests especially since the introduction of Williams & Kitto.

Then to say Briz were slightly understrength v Sale hence why they got their big win.

Bleedin hell Martin,if Briz were understrength,what were we?

We were more understrength than Briz imho but we get a totally,if a little disrespectful summary.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

WorcesterSauce 30 August, 2020 18:32
Unfortunately our reputation precedes us but I would agree, despite the lack of first teamers we were still lacklustre. We didn’t lay a glove on Exeter.

HeemMachine 30 August, 2020 18:37
Phew. Good news.

w4rriorz1980 30 August, 2020 18:40
Quote:
HeemMachine
Phew. Good news.
About Lewis?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Fiver 30 August, 2020 20:09
I still remember BT Sport doing a 5 minute piece on the relegation battle a couple of years ago discussing Bristol in 12th and Sale in 10th. Didn't mention Worcester at all given we were 11th, and all of that with an audience member mid shot the whole time wearing a Warriors shirt. Then, to rub salt into the wounds, they have Pat Sanderson as a pundit at a game where every time his name came up it mentioned how many caps he had for Sale and Quins, no mention of Warriors again.

Rant over, back to the game.

I thought far too many of our players did themselves no good, as mentioned already there was no contest at the breakdown, instead gifting Exeter the chance to be amazing, which they duly obliged. The backs were fairly static in attack and far too easy to pick off, although better when Kitto came on, but then more often than not the replacement scrum half does that.

My biggest bugbear, and one I've never had an answer to, is why we try to hold up attacking players in our 22. We must have a hit rate of 1 in 100 at getting a positive outcome, otherwise we cough up at least 5 yards each time. I rate Jack Nowell as highly as anyone, but David slipped off the tackle, GJ then held him up whilst Heaney gave him a cuddle. Outcome; try.

I made the point a few days ago and I stick by it, I agreed with Mark McCall when he said he wasn't worried about new/young players making mistake, it was the effort he was looking for. Standing off the breakdown and missing so many tackles just didn't do it for me.

That said, I think Cutting has a great future, and our two wings looked decent. Sam Lewis did his best, but everyone else was pretty average today. Some chances missed today for too many of the younger players.

Brummagem7's 30 August, 2020 21:29
Would've liked to have seen Monks given a game at no 8 after doing well at Moseley, unavailable though. I'd rather give the young lads an opportunity a bit earlier than we are now, it can be a bit detrimental later on in the career granted but I think it's better than having lads at 23 who've barely got any appearances.

WorcesterSauce 30 August, 2020 21:39
Worth noting that the decision to not compete at breakdowns was something we also did once Nanai got sent off vs Gloucester.

It essentially seems to be a tactic we chose if we are well and truly against it and it will not be the players fault but the coaches.

Old Col 30 August, 2020 22:49
Why rub salt in it-? -anybody can do that. What was expected ?Some players first outing for now,new combinations of young and inexperienced players who have not been playing regularly together as a team against Exeter's regular fisrt team -why on earth look at negatives ? I thought we showed enormous courage and many flashes of promise . That Exeter team is a class apart from every other in the league at present and miles ahead of any of the other teams playing so far this weekend. The worst thing that can be said about us is that we were inexperinced not that our players are lacking in talent or endeavour.

Underdog 30 August, 2020 23:28
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Worth noting that the decision to not compete at breakdowns was something we also did once Nanai got sent off vs Gloucester.
It essentially seems to be a tactic we chose if we are well and truly against it and it will not be the players fault but the coaches.

When Steve Diamond was interviewed during the Sale game yesterday, he said that only the Currys and Akker Van Der Merwe were allowed to contest possession at the ruck as everyone else was falling foul of the new focus on this area from the referees. It may have been a tongue in cheek comment but it certainly seemed borne out on the pitch. Perhaps our coaches said the same about everyone except Lewis as I did notice him going into a few at times.

Either way, it's noteworthy in that it was the first time I've ever heard anything interesting from one of those mid-game chats they force the coaches into.

Offa 31 August, 2020 07:46
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Just a pointless exercise of men vs boys. Starting to wonder as to what the point in restarting the season was? Saracens are down, Exeter are clear champions and the mid week games are making games farcical.
Should’ve just ended it with the aim of restarting in September with the new season.

Totally agree, and as a result there are many of these games that I am not bothering with. However, I believe that the clubs had to agree to finish the season or else hand back lots of cash to BT.

ROLLO 31 August, 2020 11:18
The comments on the Exeter site are a lot kinder to us , maybe it is easier to see the wood from the trees when you have had such a victory?
Size does matter, a good big 'un will always beat a good small 'un is a term used in boxing circles. Just look at the size of Cheifs locks to ours, or Nowell v David etc etc. and the best coached side in the premiership and what do we really expect ? Effort- we gave that, not giving up - we did that, tactical awareness and basic skills - some improvement needed.
This was not a particularly plesasent day to be a Warriors supporter , player or coach. It was a product of the situation that clubs have been put in. The fixture scheduling has not been especialy kind to us but it is what it is. The danger is that such a mis-match can lead to injuries , fortunatly there was only GV-V.
The scrum was not complety mullard as could have happened looking at the mis- match in size and expereince. I think we should thank every players for being put through such an embarresing profesional position to satisfy commercial TV's not unreasonable demands.

Faithful_City 31 August, 2020 11:42
The lads never gave up, which was fantastic. All credit to them for keeping going under such bombardment.

The one that matters to me is Friday when both teams should be at full strength.

JP

drifter 31 August, 2020 18:22
It outlined to me that our strength in depth is not good enough. although most of the players could go into a first team side but possibly only one at a time. 10 young guns does not work at all. but saying that they all put in a shift.

Abmatt 01 September, 2020 11:02
I’m not sure I agree drifter.

Don’t forget the team is seeing changes in pretty much every position every week. In a regular season we wouldn’t see this, rather a change in a few with experience being bolstered by youth.

What we can see is more teams are targeting matches with those aiming for top 4 working their rotation so they have their strongest XV available for the playoffs.

Warrior7 01 September, 2020 13:49
It's interesting looking at the stats for the weekend - suggests a few performances were better than we thought, but as a collective it went poorly. I think we really lacked by not trying to turnover more of Exeter's ball, which you would have thought would be a primary objective for a smaller pack.

I would like to see Justin Clegg start the next game he's involved in, as for me he is the best of our young locks but does not get many games.

On the stats front, not bad from Montgomery: 10 runs, 32 metres made, 2 clean breaks, 4 defenders beaten, 2 offloads and 13 tackles. Some of this might be down to Lewis as we seem to be using him as another distributor to get the other forwards on the front foot.

Hopefully some of our injured come back soon, as there would surely be some differing scorelines if we were bringing on:
16. Moulds
17. Owen
18. Carey
19. Batley
20. Mama/Cox

Faithful_City 01 September, 2020 14:41
Montgomery was definitely not overawed by the Exeter International Stars.

They are all now aware of what it takes to be a top premiership player

AJWarriors1 01 September, 2020 14:55
Montgomery was excellent. Tackled hard and carried even harder. Made some great breaks. He’s definitely playing himself into the team albeit being on the bench. He can definitely cut it at the top level. We need to keep him on to be honest

Faithful_City 01 September, 2020 15:43
Agreed AJ, I like him a lot.

AJWarriors1 01 September, 2020 15:47
Should get some more game time now. GJ is out for 3 months with a dislocated shoulder

Faithful_City 01 September, 2020 15:56
We have back rows of
Hill
Du Preez
Kvesic
Lewis
Montgomery
Cox
Dodd
Monks

Quite number a decent ball carriers as well.

JP

Warrior7 01 September, 2020 16:08
Shame Dodd went off against Wasps as he was looking very physical. Definitely have a great stock of back rowers. Matti Williams had one of his better games coming off the bench on Sunday too. Interesting to see which of our back-rowers the new breakdown officiating will suit.

shrewsburyman 02 September, 2020 16:44
Yes I liked Montgomery from the outset and was worried that we might lose him. Interesting point warrior7 and the answer to that will determine who starts in the back row. I’ll leave the answer to that question to those who know more about back row play than me.

Abmatt 02 September, 2020 18:24
MK, TH and CdP will start.

Think mama will be on the bench.

shrewsburyman 02 September, 2020 18:30
Yes with Lewis out it picks itself.

Abmatt 02 September, 2020 19:48
In terms of the new laws I think most of the back row, and some of the front have got them.

I can’t remember if it was on here or elsewhere where someone hinted at selection of players based on their grasp and application of the new laws.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net