Latest news:

Irish v Wuss Match Thread
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 13 September, 2020 08:45
Irish v Wuss Match Thread
Faithful_City 13 September, 2020 08:45
Well, the time draws near for our last game for 17 days.

Should be able to go flat out with our strongest available team selection, notwithstanding injuries should be able to put out an equally strong team for our last game of the season.

We are in with a chance today 50-50, but we have to be at our very best.

JP

Re: Irish v Wuss Match Thread
Warwick Eastie 13 September, 2020 13:29
Live on BT Sport Extra 2

Come on guys. Time for everything to click into place....

cartridgekid 13 September, 2020 15:10
Trying to get on to watch the game but my virgin box is telling me no sporting events on this red button -

Only the Bath v sale game available !

fozzie66 13 September, 2020 15:11
Quote:
cartridgekid
Trying to get on to watch the game but my virgin box is telling me no sporting events on this red button -
Only the Bath v sale game available !
Same here........

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 15:18
I canít get my head how many opportunities we mess up in the red zone

Warwick Eastie 13 September, 2020 15:20
I'm on Virgin media and can't get Sport Extra 2 to show anything. Yet it is advertised as available.
Technical glitch?
Anyone works it out - let me know!

Warrior7 13 September, 2020 15:22
Quote:
AJWarriors1

Think I've counted 5-6 opportunities messed up so far! So many handling errors

drifter 13 September, 2020 15:24
cannot see it either

Simba 13 September, 2020 15:24
Good Irish defence or poor Warriors attack?
Both I think.

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 15:28
Quote:
Warrior7
Quote:
AJWarriors1

Think I've counted 5-6 opportunities messed up so far! So many handling errors

Should have at least 3 certain tries. God knows how Beef knocked on with his opportunity.

cartridgekid 13 September, 2020 15:32
Just message a mate who has the game on via a standard tv box and by sport -
Virgin is still not working for me !

drifter 13 September, 2020 15:38
try this

[cricfree.top]

Simba 13 September, 2020 15:39
ffs Nanai

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 15:43
Absolutely shocking from Dunky. Had two men inside with Howe and Heward and he over throws a pass, then drops a pass again when we were in the red zone. We just donít seem to have any composure

Underdog 13 September, 2020 15:47
We look as though relegation is on the line in terms of our jitters in attack.

Warrior7 13 September, 2020 15:50
Don't think catching was part of training this week!

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 15:51
This has to be the worst attacking play Iíve seen from us. This is appalling

Simba 13 September, 2020 15:52
It does make a change for us to be the attacking team instead of continual defending.
Even without the scores.

fozzie66 13 September, 2020 16:18
Actually playing quite well now 8-14.

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 16:23
About effing time! Must have had a right b*llocking at HT

fozzie66 13 September, 2020 16:24
Impressive wheels Nanai. 3 Tries. 8-21 50 minutes

lokicrichtonfan 13 September, 2020 16:40
Hougaard really is class, we are lucky to have him. To think some on here wanted Kitto or Heaney to start ahead of him at one point.

shrewsburyman 13 September, 2020 16:47
Except Nanai has now knocked on three times. I asked some time ago how good he was under the high ball. Hopefully just a blip!

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 16:51
What a difference Lawrence has made!

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 17:01
Itís clear as day our depth is awful. We need much better quality off the bench but look we won

wolverhampton warrior 13 September, 2020 17:01
Nice to win but so many handling errors.

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 17:09
First half was horrific. Second half we were brilliant

Abmatt 13 September, 2020 17:11
A wins a win. Shouldnít have conceded so many points though. Glad we got the try ant the end to deny the lbp

Brummagem7's 13 September, 2020 17:20
I'm a Melani Nanai guy, seen enough of him at full back to think he could be special if he adds a bit of consistency. Scrum halves like Hougaard are thin on the ground, especially with his skill over the ball, Simpson couldn't have a better mentor.

Good win, confident we can do Sarries at home - encouraging 80 today rather than 2/3 quarters.

Drahm for England 13 September, 2020 17:21
A win is a win. We haven't had many of those lately so let's look for the positives. Once the new coaching regime has bedded in properly, we will see exactly how things stand. For now, bask in the relative heights of 9th place!

WorcesterSauce 13 September, 2020 17:23
The problem with Nanai is that, to be a Premiership full back you HAVE to be good under the high ball. He dropped 4 today with relatively no pressure on him. Even if he turns out to be the best attacking full back weíve ever had, i wouldnít put him near the starting 15 if he can only catch like he did today. The teams who like to Box kick would have a field day with him.

Brummagem7's 13 September, 2020 17:32
Fair point on the high ball. I still feel that if he gets into his stride and replicates the form he had with the blues then he'd tear up this league, whether he's poor at receiving or not. Good to be dependable but he looks like he's got game that a lot of other fullbacks lack.

centrethere 13 September, 2020 17:42
The 3 Nanai dropped he was front on. The 2 he caught he was side on. Solomons noted this

Underdog 13 September, 2020 18:10
It looks like a coaching issue to me. Nanai is a very skillful player and hasn't got this far without the ability to take a high ball. He seems to amble effortlessly from A to B until he needs to get a wriggle on, and I seem to recall him being pretty passive in defence on his debut (or at least early appearance) until, gee'd up by the crowd, he began walloping players.

Somewhere between the chilled out guy and the assassin, we have got a good player.

WorcesterSauce 13 September, 2020 18:31
Completely agree there is a gem of a player in there - just not sure FB is the best place to utilise him. In many ways it is as he could be deadly with kicks down his throat, but for him to put that skill into action he needs to actually catch the ball!

ROLLO 13 September, 2020 18:47
Beck moving to inside centre made a big difference.

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 18:58
Agree on Beck. His distribution was very good! Noticed they used him as a first receiver in the second half too. The lines Lawrence was running was outstanding too..Irish didnít know who the ball was going to? Lawrence or Dunky. Could be a real weapon looking ahead

w4rriorz1980 13 September, 2020 19:01
Quote:
Drahm for England
A win is a win. We haven't had many of those lately so let's look for the positives. Once the new coaching regime has bedded in properly, we will see exactly how things stand. For now, bask in the relative heights of 9th place!
Technically 10th.....

WorcesterSauce 13 September, 2020 19:03
Lawrence ran some ridiculous lines but the line is only as good as the pass. Beck was putting it on a plate for him and they linked up brilliantly. For us to fully utilise Lawrence we need him at 13 and a more skilful player in at 12. Beck seems to fit that bill nicely.

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 19:24
I didnít know he had that in his game. I think we miss Millsy a little bit. Would have loved to have seen him and Lawrence play together but after seeing Beck play as a ball playing 12 I was very impressed

centrethere 13 September, 2020 19:27
Noah Heward looked a step better than Howe also. Nanai looked like a wing on todayís performance- the drops were without pressure. Why is van Breda not given FB chances? Esp. With his boot. Need to play based on form, as has been said before

Whispering_Death 13 September, 2020 19:39
Come on itís one game. If he actually canít catch, which Iíd be very surprised if that was the case, then yes thatís a problem with him at FB. Since playing FB heís been a different player and letís be honest a class apart. Difficult one for the opposition because if he does catch it I wouldnít want to be feeding him too much ball. I didnít understand the tactics in the first half. Our pack is nowhere near big enough to just pick and drive (slowly). Handling obviously didnít help either but I think we got that all wrong.

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 19:50
I canít believe we are questioning Nanaiís ability here. Everyone has an off day and itís not as if heís consistently dropping high balls..heís one of our best players without question!

TrueWarrior 13 September, 2020 19:53
He is not a winger. He is absolutely a full back. His tackling is not the best but his outside arc breaks and vision are easily the best of any back 3 player. There is no one else I would want in the club with ball in hand, 2 vs 2 20m out from the oppo try line. He is our best player in space as he can create for himself or others. He has to play at full back or we might as well release him and get another winger in for the same money.

He will have to improve his tackling and taking of the high ball - those things can be coached - vision, timing of passes, speed and agility are very hard to. There is a international quality player in Nanai. If we can generate quick ball like we did for his try today, he will be lethal.

Brummagem7's 13 September, 2020 20:30
To be honest I'd build the team around him, back to front and play to his strengths. Look at what Hogg has done for the chiefs. He could be that good. Although to be fair I'm gagging for a no 8 to rival the likes of Simmonds, Dombrandt, Harrison etc. Don't get me wrong Du Preez is a bit of a beast but he just doesn't get the numbers that others do.

Malvern Man 13 September, 2020 20:53
Nobody has mentioned the sun shining into our faces in the first half.

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 21:17
Quote:
TrueWarrior
He is not a winger. He is absolutely a full back. His tackling is not the best but his outside arc breaks and vision are easily the best of any back 3 player. There is no one else I would want in the club with ball in hand, 2 vs 2 20m out from the oppo try line. He is our best player in space as he can create for himself or others. He has to play at full back or we might as well release him and get another winger in for the same money.
He will have to improve his tackling and taking of the high ball - those things can be coached - vision, timing of passes, speed and agility are very hard to. There is a international quality player in Nanai. If we can generate quick ball like we did for his try today, he will be lethal.

Perfect post

WorcesterSauce 13 September, 2020 21:23
His attacking his undoubtably unbelievably good but his defence is questionable, there is no doubt about it and that is not just based on today either but since we came back from lockdown. Today we then see him drop a lot of high balls under no pressure - will be interesting to see whether this is a one off or not.

I wouldn't have the same faith in him as i do in CP despite the fact that he can undoubtably change the game in an instant, which CP probably isnít going to do.

Essentially I feel CP gives a solid 7/10 every single game but Nanai is more erratic. Does some simply brilliant stuff but then combined with some really poor things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2020 21:24 by WorcesterSauce.

LiveInHope 13 September, 2020 21:24
Would be amazed if Nania canít catch high balls, he was a classic act for blues, they kick just as much as us & no one worked out he canít catch high balls. Doubt he will be as good as Pennell at high balls, as think thatís one of his key strengths. But give him space & he will get points.
Thought Heward looked very good, confident & smart. Think he could be a big star.
Still unsure about Howe, he is at best a bench player. Is very fast but thatís not enough.

After today, can we please cut the owners, coaches & players just a wee bit of slack?
We had never heard of Heward before this 2nd half season. The game time of all these youth will advance them for next year. Lawrence, Butler, David, Heward, Owens, Dodd, Clegg, & the others have all played, made mistakes & no doubt learnt a lot. Would rather watch them make mistakes than bring in an ageing journey man. Would rather have Cutting than Creevy, as Cutting will get better.

TrueWarrior 13 September, 2020 21:40
Our attack is simply not powerful enough to not have some sort of creativity at 15. I do agree that in a 9-6 game, I would want Pennell as he does the basics very well but we shouldn't be aspiring to win games 9-6 IMO.

Mills leaving has left a vacancy as a second distributor. I don't think we have that in Beck and Venter so we need something from 15, which Pennell doesn't offer. It is all down to quick ball. If we can get that and front foot ball, we have a very good set of backs who will score bags of tries. Just need to find some more strength in the carry - probably in the tight 5.

w4rriorz1980 13 September, 2020 21:48
I hear Luther Burrell is available now.He would complement our current centres would he not?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

AJWarriors1 13 September, 2020 21:53
I think Burrell is too similar to Beck and Venter with them both being direct runners into contact. I feel we need another distributor at 12. Butler is a distributor but his injury record speaks for itself.

WorcesterSauce 13 September, 2020 22:50
Burrell is exactly the sort of player we DONT want to be signing. An old, past his prime, expensive player. Butler will never make it for us but Burrell isnít the answer.

Fiver 14 September, 2020 08:17
I'm not sure about some of the opinions already mentioned, but then they are opinions and probably as valid as mine.

I thought the first half showed our pack in complete dominance, hence we spent almost the whole game in their half. Let's not be hard on any of those guys, they were easily the better pack, probably to a man. The sun in the eyes didn't help the backs, especially anyone taking a high ball. Irish suffered the same fate in the second half. We also seemed to be trying too hard.

The second half was so much better, definitely down to the sun, and probably some words at half time. Nanai dropped one ball in the second half, I'd agree on technique, but possibly confidence. His running was the best on the park by a country mile. As mentioned above, NZ teams kick an awful lot, which means he can catch so I think we can all calm down on that front.

I'd also agree on the comments about Beck being a 12 and not a 13. I think he is real class at 12 and distributes really well. Venter is a more direct running 12, and could easily play 13, but that's just my thoughts. Lawrence showed us he is a class above most other players we have, and at such a young age. I get the feeling he pushes his team mates to perform better. Dunky also looked a better player with Lawrence on the pitch. I'd also agree that Heward is looking more like a premiership winger each time he plays.

I get the impression that the club are investing totally in youth for the forwards, hence our bench looks lightweight at the moment. As a club we would really benefit from ringfencing in that regard, whether or not people agree with the principle.

The key thing was that yesterday we were so dominant, and away from home. We could easily have scored another 30 points, although letting Irish score 4 tries was poor, most of it through daft indiscipline by forwards who should know better. Let's take the positives though, we went away from home and thrashed a premiership team. What more could you want.

ROLLO 14 September, 2020 09:24
Some context. We were at almost full strength, LI had half their first team out. We played 20 minutes of the game aganst 14 men , and LI were also disrupted by injuries during the game, The skill level in the first hafl was almost laughable. Catching and passing are standard parts of the game.
Second half was much better but as Fiver said we still conceded in four tries. If we are going to win more games than we lose we won't score five tries + a game.
Pleased with the win and points, that perfromanec against anyone esle and we would have been punished.

NW2 14 September, 2020 14:24
Agree Rollo that some context is needed. In the past we have been down to 14 players for 20 minutes and have used that as the reason we have lost a game. On that basis, when the boot is on the other foot, a win should be EXPECTED surely?

TVM Rides Again 14 September, 2020 15:15
To be honest I have learned to take pleasure from the small things in life, so I am perfectly happy with the result. No complaints from me.

WarwickEastie 14 September, 2020 15:45
I wasn't able to watch the game via Virgin Media - so will reserve judgment on the performance.

But realistically, to go away from home and get a good result like that - we have to be happy.

I'm sure there will still be plenty we could have done better - but I'd much rather be in our shoes than London Irish's today.

Old Col 14 September, 2020 15:52
It was bound to be an edgy nervous start for both sides with Irish the most to lose. No wonder they defended like demons in the first half .Why is it neccessary to deflate the post match good feeling for the fans or even some of the players ? . On occasions we have had our youngest players set against the full strength of top teams and some people are critical of them when they are learning just what it means to be a premiership player ? Helpful ?We would have won that game no matter how many players Irish had on the field--why am I so sure? Irish 113 (I Think ) tackles against Worcester's 23 in the first half .Very difficult to come back against that level of attrition .Then so many great things to see . Nanai in full flight ,Duncan looking better and better and Noah Heward getting on the front foot,etc

centrethere 14 September, 2020 16:09
Yes Nanai, without the sun in his eyes, dropped far less in the 2nd half, but he obviously needs some practice in this area. When you can see the ball well in dry conditions, you can probably pluck it out, but in wet / windy / sunny / pressure on conditions you probably need a go-to technique - body and arm positioning and how to jump (which Chris Pennell, surely can teach him better than anyone else, but probably doesn't really want to?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net