Latest news:

Saracens could get stuck in the Champioship
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 23 September, 2020 07:32
Saracens could get stuck in the Champioship
Faithful_City 23 September, 2020 07:32
'[color=#990000][/color].
Quote:
The Guardian

Saracens, who are preparing for a European Champions Cup semi-final against Racing 92 in Paris on Saturday, do not know when their new season will start after the government pressed pause on the return of fans to sports grounds, raising the question of whether they will be able to bounce straight back into the Premiership.

The current Premiership and European champions will soon be relegated to the Championship for breaches of the top flight’s salary cap. That league was due to start in December, but the majority of clubs are heavily reliant on gate income and would struggle to pay currently furloughed players without it.

“The last communication we had from the Championship was that it would start in the middle of December,” said Mark McCall, the Saracens director of rugby. “That may have changed this week which is worrying for the clubs and ourselves. It is a case of suck it and see.

“We have a big match on Saturday followed by our final two Premiership matches. We could be done by next Sunday or have a final to prepare for, but after that we are not sure. We had planned for a December start, but that may have to change. It is a very serious, worrying time at club and international level.”

With the government talking about restrictions lasting up to six months, there would be no time to complete the Championship campaign. The winners get promoted, if they meet the entry criteria, and the only way back for Saracens would be if the Premiership expanded to 13 clubs and became ring-fenced.

No gate income may force Championship clubs to follow Richmond and become amateur. Another potential issue for Saracens is whether their England players who have stayed with the club, including Owen Farrell, the Vunipola brothers and Maro Itoje, would jeopardise their international careers by playing in the second tier which does not have elite professional team status which provides exemption to rules such as distancing.

'

It has to be expanded to 13 clubs, wether we like it or not.

JP

Re: Saracens could get stuck in the Champioship
Faithful_City 23 September, 2020 07:57
.RFU viewpoint on the games future

Quote:

England's Rugby Football Union (RFU) CEO Bill Sweeney painted a bleak picture for the sport as he asked the British government for financial support after its U-turn on allowing fans in limited numbers at stadiums amid the coronavirus pandemic.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told parliament that, as part of new restrictions to tackle a second wave of coronavirus, the government was putting on hold plans for 25% to 33% capacities from Oct. 1.

England are set to play three internationals in the new eight-team Autumn Nations Cup in November and December and they had been hoping to have at least 20,000 fans at Twickenham Stadium.

"With no fans this autumn we will see a £122 million pounds reduction in revenue resulting in a loss of £46m," Sweeney said in a statement on Tuesday.

"With no fans for the Guinness Six Nations we will see a £138m reduction in revenue with a loss of £60m thereby preventing investment in areas such as the women's elite game and community rugby.

"Premiership and Championship clubs will face significant financial hardship... Without crowds and league games, community rugby will lose an estimated £86m in revenue this season."

In July, the RFU had projected a short-term revenue loss of £107m due to the closure of Twickenham as international matches are the main source of income for all unions.

The RFU had also proposed making 139 positions within the organisation redundant after finances took a massive hit over the last six months.

"From the outset we have been clear that an autumn without crowds would leave us with little choice but to approach government for financial help. Unfortunately, we are now in that position," Sweeney added.

At a meeting on Tuesday, officials from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport told sports governing bodies to prepare for no spectators for up to six months.

Premiership Rugby chief executive Darren Childs said the new restrictions threaten to cause "irreparable damage" to English top-flight clubs.

"We look forward to working with government on a rescue package for professional club rugby in England and we will continue to seek innovative ways to overcome these challenges to ensure premiership rugby and its clubs have a future," he added.

Old Col 23 September, 2020 15:34
Saracens stuck--let's hope so and all coaches ,players who connived with them to so undermine the fairness of the Premiership .Short memories abound !

NW2 24 September, 2020 18:52
Couldn’t agree more Old Col, with all the televised matches of late, I couldn’t help but notice the way Sarries are still lauded by pretty much all of the commentators and pundits. No! They cheated consistently and won silverware whilst doing so! I still think that if they only do one season in the championship, they will have got off lightly.

Eastrrr Bunny 24 September, 2020 20:51
And they are likely still cheating now!

PMB 01 October, 2020 07:21
Sadly if the RFU & Prem Rugby had stamped on Sarries back in 2015 we would not be in this position. I am sure that I heard somewhere that the promoted club from the Championship has to demonstrate adherence to the prem wages cap prior to coming up-that could be bit of a challenge seeing as Sarries accepted relegation so quickly.

The other challenge, given the RFUs' complete lack of interest in rugby below the prem is when (if) Sarries get a game.

I do struggle with going to the pub, shopping etc but not being able to stand round Westons Fields with 100 or so like minded individuals watching a local derby-obviously restricted to members only.

TVM Rides Again 01 October, 2020 09:02
What do we reckon that Sarries have done some sort of plea bargain that we don't know about?

Faithful_City 01 October, 2020 11:10
Whatever games are played Sarries will win everyone with TBP's so 3 games or 22 Sarries will be top of the championship come June next season.

But will the bottom club in the Prem have a league to be relegated to??

JP

PMB 02 October, 2020 09:29
Good excuse to ring fence now, 13 club prem and Sarries get away with it-place your bets now

Faithful_City 02 October, 2020 09:48
PMB, I feel Sarries will be relegated just to complete the punishment but the following season when they are promoted we will see a 5 year ring fence agreement.

JP

NW2 02 October, 2020 15:45
Or.......... some current premiership clubs don’t survive and we see a tier 1 league made up of UK and Irish teams?

centrethere 02 October, 2020 22:33
It won't happen as Saracen's are the league's biggest asset.

PMB 04 October, 2020 11:29
I like the phrase "5 year ring fence agreement", the only people agreeing will be the RFU, PRL and 13 businesses (assuming that those clubs promoted in recent years demonstrate a certain hypocrisy) I cannot see any of those clubs outside the prem agreeing.

Aberavon Wizard 06 October, 2020 08:19
They should serve their time and play a full season in the Championship however and whenver that takes place - that ought to teach them some humility.....but then again this is Saracens we are talking about !

Faithful_City 06 October, 2020 08:41
Unfortunately you are right.

Keep to the rules or suffer the consequences, tough.

JP

Marlow Nick 06 October, 2020 12:59
Quote:
centrethere
It won't happen as Saracen's are the league's biggest asset.

I agree that some casual observers may see Saracens as the biggest brand and therefore a premiership without them may be considered devalued however I'd argue that in the longer term the biggest asset of any sport is exciting and unpredictable competition. Much of the anger with Saracens is because they were destroying that sense of uncertainty by loading the dice.

Whispering_Death 06 October, 2020 15:50
Yes and the reason they are the biggest brand is because they cheated over a number of years. Yet you listen to the pundits wax lyrical over them still, like nothing has happened. Exeter should be the biggest brand in the prem. everything about them is superb.

Faithful_City 06 October, 2020 15:51
Absolutely agree WD

JP

Malvern Man 06 October, 2020 19:17
Agree absolutely with WD and FC.

ROLLO 06 October, 2020 19:22
The worst thing is that the perception I get is that no one at Sarries seem to think they have done anything wrong. Perception is of course reality.

WorcesterSauce 06 October, 2020 23:02
Everything about the Exeter brand is superb?

What about the casual racism, which the entire “Chiefs” brand is based upon?

You’re having a laugh.

Offa 07 October, 2020 05:53
I think it was an odd choice of branding, but I would leave it at that.

NW2 07 October, 2020 06:25
Quote:
ROLLO
The worst thing is that the perception I get is that no one at Sarries seem to think they have done anything wrong. Perception is of course reality.

You’re spot on Rollo, the arrogance and refusal to accept that they continually broke the rules is beyond belief.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net