Latest news:

Sale
Discussion started by AJWarriors1 , 02 October, 2020 12:37
Sale
AJWarriors1 02 October, 2020 12:37
Just saw that Sale have a significant amount of positive COVID tests and the final stages could be forfeited, obviously including our match

Re: Sale
Faithful_City 02 October, 2020 12:41
We shall still have our end of season party anyway and watch another game if that's the case.

JP

AJWarriors1 02 October, 2020 12:49
Yea true JP. Best case scenario is us possibly getting 4 or 5 points and Glaws losing to Saints and us getting 8th spot and a place in Europe. No risk of injuries and an extra week off for the players to train and freshen up.

Having said that though I hope all the people involved at Sale stay safe and make a full recovery.

lawnsman 02 October, 2020 13:25
Premiership rugby stars warned that breaking Covid-19 rules will gift their opponents a 20-0 win ahead of the season resuming this weekend
Players warned about need to follow Covid-19 rules ahead of season resuming
If any club or individual breaches rules, they will gift opponents a 20-0 win
Matches will be declared draws if cancelled by government or local authorities
By CHRIS FOY FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:30, 11 August 2020 | UPDATED: 00:03, 12 August 2020

PRL and Sale will be having an interesting discussion.
For the sake of a healthy Worcester squad the game should not be played if Sale do indeed have double figures of positive cases.

kiddykid 02 October, 2020 13:54
Yes, I too have heard the possibility of a cancellation and a 20-0 victory being awarded ..........and it came from a Kingsholm man. Strange times in which we live!

westglos 02 October, 2020 15:07
The question is whether that constitutes 4 points, or 5?

Garym 02 October, 2020 16:04
Quote:
westglos
The question is whether that constitutes 4 points, or 5?

Typical of the PRL/RFU not make it clear from the outset. Could get to 20 points in a number of ways (e.g. four uncoverted tries or one converted try and five penalties).

Warrior7 02 October, 2020 16:07
Pretty sure they did make it clear it was 5 points, but can't remember where I read it. Could be wrong!

Whispering_Death 02 October, 2020 16:36
Yep I’m pretty sure I saw it was full 5 points which makes sense if you forfeit the game to me.

Malvern Man 02 October, 2020 16:48
There's got to be some natural justice here. Sale could miss the play-offs and we could make the European Champions Cup because of a few laboratory tests on asymptomatic rugby players? If that's the case the world is madder than I thought. Second thoughts, it probably is.

Brockhill Warrior 02 October, 2020 18:09
From the BBC, so Gloucester could also be given a 20-0 victory.

“There could also be a knock-on effect for Northampton, who played Sale in their previous match, losing 34-14.

Saints could also have players forced to self-isolate under contract tracing protocols which could also put their final match with Gloucester in doubt.”

Faithful_City 02 October, 2020 18:44
These few asymptomatic rugby players could pass it on to several 100 other players and ruin their clubs chances.

They could also infect several older people who may then go on to die.

If you are infected - you damn well keep others safe and isolate.

JP

kiddykid 02 October, 2020 20:54
Apparently, there is to be an announcement at 12.00 noon Saturday. Watch this space!

Brummagem7's 02 October, 2020 21:01
Seen a few stuff saying it's going ahead? Sale are determined anyway.

Buzzboy 02 October, 2020 21:19
Interested party as a Wasps fan! Maybe they will play with players other than those who have tested positive. Good luck with whatever happens! Crazy world indeed. But people’s health and safety must come first.

lawnsman 02 October, 2020 21:24
If the BBC report is correct and 16 Sale players have tested positive in the last week and they are in the senior squad it is hard to understand how they can possibly consider putting a team on the pitch without breaking the current COVID regulations and jeopardising the health of everyone on the pitch. The Warriors must protect their players and staff and refuse to play.

Drahm for England 02 October, 2020 21:39
Club statement seems pretty firm. They aren't happy about this going ahead, understandably.

Grasshopper 02 October, 2020 21:48
Why should our players and staff put themselves (and others) at risk, locally? 16 infections is a significant percentage, and how many more may be in the early stages?

centrethere 02 October, 2020 22:50
D4E,

I read it that subject to confirmation of further 'no infections' from the daily / 5 day tests, that Worcester are happy to play. Flippantly, it is also the end of the season, an we can all rest afterwards. And there a European cup place still riding on it? (others can advise on that)

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 07:02
I for one will be incredibly disappointed if we take 40 people up into a highly infective area play rugby against players who have trained hard with 16 infected players there are bound to be others who have been infected since that last test and others who passed the last test because they were in the early stages.

It would be incredibly foolhardy.

Then our 40 people return, they must then self isolate because they played against and physically wrestled and fought with possibly infected players. There families would also need to isolate.

They could also bring that infection back to worcester, it only takes 1 or 2 and start a new hotspot in Worcester and Cheltenham.

Premier Rugby have to make a sensible decision and so do both clubs.

Since March 10,000’s of Worcester residents have kept to the guidelines with immense sacrifice some losing their livelihood and 2 rugby clubs say playing this one game is more important than your sacrifices is utterly distasteful.

JP

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 07:47
Quote:

he Premiership’s decisive final round of fixtures has been thrown into chaos after 16 Sale Sharks players tested positive for coronavirus.

Sale have insisted their crucial clash with Worcester will go ahead despite the spread of Covid-19 throughout the Manchester club, with a small number of backroom staff also returning positive tests, the PA news agency understands.

But after Sale had issued a statement saying Sunday’s game would go ahead, Worcester responded by claiming the fixture is still being discussed by public health officials and Premiership Rugby.

Worcester’s statement read: “Warriors’ final Gallagher Premiership match of the season against Sale Sharks at the AJ Bell on Sunday is still the subject of discussions between Premiership Rugby and public health officials.

“A significant number of Sale players and staff tested positive for Covid-19 on Thursday and have been retested as part of a rigorous process that applies to all clubs and which has been in place since before the 2019-20 season resumed in August.

“The sole criterion for deciding whether a match can take place in the current unprecedented and worrying circumstances is the safety of officials and players and staff of both clubs and (minimising) the risk of anyone contracting and spreading this killer disease.

“Warriors would always prefer the outcome of a match to be decided on the pitch and will do so provided we are satisfied that all the Covid-19 protocols and procedures have been followed and no health risk is posed to our players and staff.

“At the moment we are still awaiting confirmation that those protocols and procedures can be met to allow Sunday’s match to proceed as scheduled.”

Premiership Rugby (PRL) has been contacted for comment by the PA news agency.

Sale said they will name their starting XV at lunchtime on Saturday, while the fallout could affect Northampton’s trip to Gloucester, with Saints having played Sale at Franklin’s Gardens on Tuesday evening and already contending with an injury crisis at loosehead prop.

The unavailability of 16 Sale players decimates the Premiership’s smallest squad of just 32 senior professionals and hinders their ability to field a matchday 23 without summoning reinforcements from their academy or making emergency signings.

In addition, Manu Tuilagi, Cobus Wiese and Lood de Jager have been struck down by long-term injuries and are unavailable for a game Sale must win if they are to secure a semi-final place.

Sale’s statement said: “Although Sale Sharks have been subject to a number of positive Covid-19 tests this week, after a thorough consultation, the club, its healthcare professionals and rugby management are confident the fixture can be fulfilled safely in accordance with all Covid-19 guidelines.

“As directed by Premiership Rugby earlier today, the Sharks matchday 23 to face Worcester Warriors will be announced at 12pm on Saturday, October 3.

“Sale Sharks will make no further comment at this time.”

If a club is unable to field a competitive team because of coronavirus, they automatically forfeit the game and a 20-0 defeat is awarded against them.

In that scenario, Sale would almost certainly endure an agonising end to an otherwise fine season by being replaced in the top four by Bristol, who are expected to sweep aside London Irish.

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 07:48 by Faithful_City.

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 08:40
I just wonder if Diamond is playing a clever/devious game.

Sale state they can fulfill the fixture complying with all COVID directives.

Worcester disagree saying unsafe for the team to travel and play and state they will not play.

Result, Sale get 5 points 20 more plus points and make the play-offs.

JP

andysaint 03 October, 2020 09:16
Quote:
Faithful_City
I just wonder if Diamond is playing a clever/devious game.
Sale state they can fulfill the fixture complying with all COVID directives.

Worcester disagree saying unsafe for the team to travel and play and state they will not play.

Result, Sale get 5 points 20 more plus points and make the play-offs.

JP

Agree, really not impressed with how this is playing out. 1 or 2 positive tests can be managed, not 16. The game should be scrapped as should ours out of an abundance of caution. I can’t believe that any parties would be willing to take any risks

graham t 03 October, 2020 09:33
As a Bris fan I hope that nothing untoward comes from this if the game does go ahead. In my view there is no way that it should. Worcs in an impossible position - if they call it off Sale can blame them and presumably avoid sanction. It should not be left to the individual clubs. Very weak from the Prem Rugby, who seem to have opted out of their responsibility.

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 09:56
Absolutely agree graham t, Premier Rugby need to grow a backbone and show some leadership.

Sometimes decisions are difficult to make, but that is what good leadership is about.

JP

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 10:09
There is what I call a pretty sensible solution to all this on the Bristol board, as it affects quite a few clubs

Cancel this weekends fixtures, cancel the play-offs, award Exeter the title and give the players a longer rest to recuperate and prepare for next season.

???

JP

Offa 03 October, 2020 10:13
I echo the sentiments of this board.
If the reports are true about how many Sale staff (playing or otherwise) are positive, then this game cannot go ahead.
All conjecture at present, let's await developments.

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 10:22
We will now at 12:00 when the team selections are announced

JP

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 10:53
Just like other social business, pubs restaurants it should be shut down and deep cleaned not just for our players and staff's sake but for everyone that works there.

Sale are showing a complete disregard for the guidelines and legal requirements, maybe that is an indication why the Northwest is in such a massive infected area

JP

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 11:00
I wonder what Gallagher feel about being sponsor to this debacle, will they want the bad press that may come out of it? Will they want to continue their sponsorship its a good excuse to get out of it.

JP

Villages12 03 October, 2020 11:09
Statement on Warriors site from Prem. Rugby. No decision made yet.

Not really surprising !

Old Col 03 October, 2020 11:12
Of course Diamond wants to blame Worcester----there was once an incident where blood was spilt when someone was deliberately cut on a rugby field to try and win a match. What price sporting "values " over real life risks ?

Old Col 03 October, 2020 11:14
We should cancel if Sale want to play such tricks-their loss not ours.

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 11:24
For safety of the players I am surprised that the PRA has not been involved.

JP

AJWarriors1 03 October, 2020 11:50
Quote:
Old Col
Of course Diamond wants to blame Worcester----there was once an incident where blood was spilt when someone was deliberately cut on a rugby field to try and win a match. What price sporting "values " over real life risks ?

Funny thing is wasn’t it Dimes who mentioned about clubs facing a forfeit if players tested positive. Pretty ironic

kiddykid 03 October, 2020 13:57
The real loser in all of this is/will be ..........rugby.
I cannot lose the thought that Sale and Dimes are putting four points above the health of their club employees and everyone at Worcester. I’m sure that Mrs Pennell does not want Chris coming home tomorrow night with Covid - and no one else will either.
Wuss should put out a statement saying that health is more important and that if Sale want the points so badly then let them have them. I’m unsure if we will be ready for the European Cup next season anyway but we will win an awful lot of friends if we forfeit the game - and Sale will have to justify their approach to the rest of the rugby world. Good luck to them.

shrewsburyman 03 October, 2020 14:03
I’m with Bristol on this even though it benefits Sale. If Sale plan to play the match under these circumstances then it is quite outrageous. There is no way that Worcester can agree to play and Diamond knows that.

4934 03 October, 2020 14:09
Postponed.

[www.salesharks.com]

Brockhill Warrior 03 October, 2020 14:10
The Premiership App now shows that the Sale v Worcester match will be played on Wednesday October 7th.

shrewsburyman 03 October, 2020 14:14
What a farce!

Sheldon 03 October, 2020 14:17
I wonder how many postponements will be allowed if there are more positive tests before the game?

Eastrrr Bunny 03 October, 2020 14:38
Probably threats of legal action

Brummagem7's 03 October, 2020 14:47
Hopefully the club refuses to play, if the number of players with covid is true then it just can't go ahead.

Do the right thing.

Faithful_City 03 October, 2020 14:54
Been postponed until Wednesday

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net