Latest news:

Cardiff Blues v Leicester
Discussion started by Craig Muncey , 23 November, 2019 23:00
Cardiff Blues v Leicester
Craig Muncey 23 November, 2019 23:00
Well another defeat. This time against a second string Leicester side. How many of their side tonight would be regulars if all available? Genge, Thompson, Lavanni any others? Yes, we have a number of players not available but we had far more first teamers than them. Is it just a simple fact they are far better than us? We have too many players either out of form or are simply not being pushed or giving the game plan to be at their best. With exception of Domachowski, Boyde and Morgan I donít see any of the players currently playing anywhere close to the best of their ability this season to date on a regular basis.

Game management is shocking right now we throw mispasses in static back play which just shuffles the defence across, making it far easier, we donít have enough players running hard and straight and the line out is a farce at the moment. Itís hard to watch and simply not good enough.

Rant over.

Re: Cardiff Blues v Leicester
tigerburnie 24 November, 2019 11:49
I think the Tigers are bringing on these youngsters as I expect most of them to be in the first team next season, some of the Tigers England players are getting towards the end of their careers, Dan Cole in particular, so it makes sense to give the 20 year olds a shot. They showed good skill, a lot of passion and worked well under pressure not taking a backward step, these cubs were hungry to show what they can do and defended very well.

Craig Muncey 24 November, 2019 19:11
My comments were not meant as a slight on Leicester at all. Fully deserving the victory. The sentence where you state the players were hungry and keen to impress was very true whilst Cardiff seemed to lack ideas and is the environment in place for them to be keen to show their ability and impress is there? Does not seem like it to me.

cardiff_steve 24 November, 2019 20:54
I actually enjoyed the game. Sort of. In the circumstances it was a good crowd and a better buzz in the ground than for most pro14 games. Leicester fans obviously played their part.

There were a lot of angry, @#$%& off people around me on the way out though. Well, not least me. That performance was inept and there's the sense of people having had more than enough of these displays.

CoganGlas 25 November, 2019 00:26
It was a very flat one dimensional performance. Ruck ball was slow and ponderous, and a good blitz defence like that young Leicester side matched it. The talent is there, as it performed under Wilson despite its deficiencies. But its the same every time we come up against a side that employs that defence, even a limited Leicester side

cardiff_steve 25 November, 2019 14:13
Quote:
CoganGlas
It was a very flat one dimensional performance. Ruck ball was slow and ponderous, and a good blitz defence like that young Leicester side matched it. The talent is there, as it performed under Wilson despite its deficiencies. But its the same every time we come up against a side that employs that defence, even a limited Leicester side

Wilson was good because he created a game plan that suited the players he had. He knew we lack ball carriers, so we kicked a lot, to compete, win turnovers and hit teams on the counter.

We've moved away from a lot of that and what we're doing instead doesnt work.

We want to get it wide early to stretch teams and then keep changing the point of attack. But that only works if you can do it at 100mph and with precision. We do it at 5 mph and throw passes at each other's heads, until we give up and try a cross kick.

Ian Robinson Was Innocent 26 November, 2019 07:05
We were also using Olly Robinson on short bursts to open up defences, with a support runner on his shoulder. No one seems to be taking this on, instead we have similar players in Evans, Lee-lo, Halaholo, Morgan who are 'steppers' and half the time they seem to be disappearing up their own backside, as they are trying to cut openings. They need to be the ones on the shoulders of the line breakers to be put into space.

Craig Muncey 26 November, 2019 10:49
Quote:
Ian Robinson Was Innocent
We were also using Olly Robinson on short bursts to open up defences, with a support runner on his shoulder. No one seems to be taking this on, instead we have similar players in Evans, Lee-lo, Halaholo, Morgan who are 'steppers' and half the time they seem to be disappearing up their own backside, as they are trying to cut openings. They need to be the ones on the shoulders of the line breakers to be put into space.

I agree Ian we need more ball carriers of the direct type with support and then speed up our play. Leelo can be a force when he runs direct and needs to do it more often. With Halaholo now out with an injury is it time for us to give Owen Lane a go in the centre? He can punch holes and get us on the front foot which is desperately needed.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net