Latest news:

The Shopping List
Discussion started by cardiff_steve , 13 January, 2020 14:29
The Shopping List
cardiff_steve 13 January, 2020 14:29
This is what the squad needs added to it to make it a serious outfit:

Hooker, loosehead, second rows x2, an 8.

Possibly a backup 10, if Ben Thomas cant move in.

More than half of those need to be overseas players, or Welsh players just below international standard, so we have them through the season.

Half of them need to be serious ball carriers.

And, if Smith cannot get the pack doing the basics between now and end of season, we need a forwards coach.

That's the minimum. Anything else is a luxury.

Anyone disagree?

Re: The Shopping List
Empire 58 13 January, 2020 14:35
Totally agree with this. Time will tell over the coming weeks who we will sign. Think there will only be 4 signings as Mulvihill has previously stated!

cardiff_steve 13 January, 2020 14:43
Quote:
Empire 58
Totally agree with this. Time will tell over the coming weeks who we will sign. Think there will only be 4 signings as Mulvihill has previously stated!

He talked about 4 players but didnt say they'd be the only signings!

He talked about second rows, an 8 and a prop but I heard before christmas that we've already signed a hooker for next year. Dont know who though.

Selgwent 13 January, 2020 21:02
Heard that there is a 10 in discussions at moment.
Tho' more of a prospect than the finished article.

cardiff_steve 13 January, 2020 21:19
Quote:
Selgwent
Heard that there is a 10 in discussions at moment.
Tho' more of a prospect than the finished article.

You allowed to say who?

Not Luke Price I hope.

Ben Blair's Left Peg 15 January, 2020 11:19
Pivac has just selected Will Rowlands and WillGriff John for Wales, I suspect they are the Wales qualified players we've signed that Mulvihill is talking about.

Solid if so, would still like to see a big angry saffer lock though

Empire 58 15 January, 2020 21:29
They both would be welcomed signings. Cory Hill is another who I’ve heard is rumoured to sign for us.

Selgwent 25 January, 2020 12:14
Sorry. Can't say, but deffo not Luke Price!!!(Sm102)

Empire 58 26 January, 2020 10:01
That’s a bit of a tease! 🤣
Ioan Lloyd from Bristol would be ideal!

Ayerzawannabe 26 January, 2020 14:23
Most likely the Lloyd that plays for Gloucester rather than the Bristol one.

cardiff_steve 26 January, 2020 15:04
Well it wasnt Costelow.

cardiff_steve 26 January, 2020 18:34
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
Most likely the Lloyd that plays for Gloucester rather than the Bristol one.

I live near Gloucester and was told the other week that we were in for that guy. Noone with Cardiff sources seems to know about it though, so may well be bollocks.

AndrewBlues 27 January, 2020 17:33
With regards to ten, I think the English based tens are as follows: Rhys Priestland, Luke Scully, Mat Protheroe, Ioan Lloyd, Jac Lloyd, Callum Sheedy, Lewis Robling, Iwan Jenkins, Owen Williams, Lloyd Evans and Dan Biggar.

Obviously I think we can disregard Priestland and Biggar - but would be interesting about a few of the others. Sheedy's undecided about international rugby and did play for England in an uncapped game against the Barbarians, but he's a Cardiff boy, still often helps out with St. Peters and I know a few people at St. Peters who are under the impression that he's favouring playing for Wales. Him and Jarrod would be two very neat fly-halves to have. Problem is he's contracted till 2022.

Ian Robinson Was Innocent 27 January, 2020 19:57
Sam Moore starts the shopping list. Hopefully big powerful second row, plus Rhys Carre, a hooker and, outside half to follow. It will be like Christmas come early.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2020 19:58 by Ian Robinson Was Innocent.

cardiff_steve 28 January, 2020 14:52
The 10 is a mystery then.

Like the X files.

taryn 28 January, 2020 16:11
After Sam Moore was announced Simon Thomas said we are looking at 2 or three more Welsh Q forwards from the Prem. Seems likely that Rhys Carrè is one of those.
One other would surely be a second row and then maybe a hooker or another second row. Anyone have any ideas? Can't think of any Welsh Q forwards coming to the end of their contracts

cardiff_steve 28 January, 2020 18:22
Quote:
taryn
After Sam Moore was announced Simon Thomas said we are looking at 2 or three more Welsh Q forwards from the Prem. Seems likely that Rhys Carrè is one of those.
One other would surely be a second row and then maybe a hooker or another second row. Anyone have any ideas? Can't think of any Welsh Q forwards coming to the end of their contracts

He said "players" rather than forwards. Its most likely Carre and the 10. Not sure who a third might be.

Ben Blair's Left Peg 28 January, 2020 21:53
Will Rowlands could be the second row...

cardiff_steve 30 January, 2020 21:26
Interview on the official site in which Mulvihill mentions we're also looking at South Africa.

taryn 03 February, 2020 16:03
Luke Scully is the young 10 according to the rugby paper, don't know much about him. He's signing from Worcester and has been with the u20s this season I think.
Ryan Edwards has also joined from Bristol on loan until the end of the season to cover the back three.

cardiff_steve 03 February, 2020 21:48
Scully, on paper, looks an ideal signing who could become second choice 10 pretty quickly. Guess we'll see.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net