Latest news:

Contracts for scholarship kids
Discussion started by cardiff_steve , 21 January, 2020 19:03
Contracts for scholarship kids
cardiff_steve 21 January, 2020 19:03
I think this could be a gamechanger. It's bold, smart and proof that the academy is one part of the organisation that's working correctly.

Losing players to english academies via private school scholarships risked wrecking our future. Now we're getting a handle on things.

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Re: Contracts for scholarship kids
Ben Blair's Left Peg 21 January, 2020 22:43
This is a good start but still slightly off where some of the English clubs are at with young development.

I went to Exeter Uni in recent years where Chiefs use the uni rugby club as a secondary academy, with a large quantity of the first and second team receiving lower graded offers and reduced fees to attend the uni. This means they can attract academy players from other academies such as those in London whilst also keeping hold of their local young players. The uni teams are coached by the Chiefs players doing their badges and the top players sign dual academy contracts playing for Chiefs A, the Uni and training with Chiefs.

Off my year, who won the Uni Championship, there are three blokes starting in the Prem and one lad playing for Scotland. So clearly its a decent base from which to develop players.

I'd be interested to see how many players we get from Cardiff Met and Cardiff Uni considering they're in the same league as Exeter and how often our boys coach these teams.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net