Discussion started by cornishbob , 06 June, 2019 09:53
Alex Cheeseman, life after rugby
cornishbob 06 June, 2019 09:53

Re: Alex Cheeseman, life after rugby
Longrockerz1 06 June, 2019 13:48
Thanks. Interesting read.

old prop steve 06 June, 2019 16:28
Excellent piece and a timely reminder that rugby is played by real people and not robots.

Furthermore they are essentially doing it for the love of the sport because although they are paid most of them could probably earn far more doing something else.

cheshire exile 06 June, 2019 17:39
Very interesting read. It doesnít look like he was a complete fan of Ian Daviesís training regime.

Pirate4ever 06 June, 2019 20:44
It says last year or two and Davis left in 2016 so I think he is throwing those stones at Gav and Paves or maybe the club as we had a much smaller squad so lots of the players were playing a lot of minutes of rugby.

cornishbob 06 June, 2019 22:05
I don't think he's having a personal go at anyone it's simply not the way he operates. To my mind if he's having a 'go' at anything it's the lack of money the championship operates on and that goes back to the RFU and the way they distribute their cash.

rgre 08 June, 2019 08:02
I found it very enlightening.
I never met Cheese socially but I did spend a short time with him when we filmed the Hope video on Marazion beach.
He was a cult hero at the club and obviously put his body on the line whenever he turned out for us.
Clearly we are missing out on player welfare issues at the club - however as ever finance comes into the equation.
Itís important we take something from this interview and try and improve ourselves as a club and I will take it up with the coaches - especially now we have strengthened the administration of the playing area with the introduction of Chris Stirling and we also have two excellent administrators on board in the shape of Robin James & Jack Richards.
However I do feel I have done my best for injured players down the years some of them kept on the payroll for up to two seasons but again obviously Cheese doesnít think so.
Never mind itís good to get criticised as if itís helpful - which I very much think this
is- then we / I have to take it on board and improve.
It doesnít help that I live and work in Kenya as I donít spend any valuable time with the players but this article has obviously given me food for thought.
RGRE

cornishbob 08 June, 2019 08:44
Well said Dicky, unless we take on board all that is said and take positives from constructive criticism and act on certain areas that maybe suggested we shall stand still and that is something we never have done with you at the helm, I'm sure with ambitions being what they are you and your excellent team will come up with some ideas. Perhaps the RFU should take this on board and divert some of their monies to a new type of insurance for players that they and clubs can contribute to.

wigston pirate 08 June, 2019 20:41
A very interesting article by Alex and I recall him not returning to the match in Nottingham which was his last game I believe. Always a gent and approachable. It is time the RFU did spend some time looking at players from all levels regarding injury's irrespective as the RFU in England is the richest in the world but some how appears broke. As Will Carling stated years ago Old Farts In Blazers still at the helm. Wish Alex and his family all the best in the future and glad he is doing a job he enjoys.

(Sm109)

rgre 09 June, 2019 12:38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net