Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

What is happening?
Discussion started by AggiePirate , 12 October, 2019 20:37
What is happening?
AggiePirate 12 October, 2019 20:37
Looking through this message board it appears a general atmosphere of apathy has descended.
Most of the recent posts have attracted single-figure responses. The most having been the prediction league, and the trevails of Yorkshire Carnegie.
I know the RWC has disrupted the start of the league season, but there have been several excellent results recently, the team appears to be gelling nicely, and I cannot understand why more supporters are not contributing.
Is it the lack of progress with the stadium? Or news thereof from the club? I admit to despair that we will ever get this across the line.
Or has support drained away generally? But the first game at the newly renovated Mennaye should have us all buzzing.
Shouldn't it?

Re: What is happening?
Kenwyn. 13 October, 2019 08:10
Itís a fair point and real shame as not that long ago it was a thriving forum. I guess the various Facebook pages associated with us has diluted this. See you all at the game today come on you Pirates.

*Stalwart 13 October, 2019 08:13
I think a lot of people use the new forum on 'tinternet. Shame this isn't used more because you can have a proper discussion over a longer period. On the facebook forum things disappear very quickly.
I'm hoping we get a big crowd today the squad looks exciting and this is one of the big games.

bolingey pirate 13 October, 2019 08:43
I too, had noticed the apparent apathy on the message board, and can't help wondering whether the delay to the stadium is indeed the main reason for it, as "Aggie" suggested. It's over 10 years now since we first dared to dream, but recent news over a "ransom strip" cock-up by Cornwall Council haven't helped, and many of us now feel season 2022/23 is a more realistic date for the new stadium. The recent posts over the sad deaths of two stalwart supporters, have made me wonder whether the likes of us ageing supporters will ever see the end of the saga. Rallying calls to "keep the faith" are all very well, but I have to admit to a general lessening of interest in the club over the past few months. Let's hope a great game today in front of a big crowd, brings back my enthusiasm.

cornishbob 13 October, 2019 08:51
Point taken Aggie but as others have said the forum on the internet seems to have become popular. Shame really but if you check out the Facebook forum you'll find a lot of discussion and news on there - on a very regular basis. All is well and the club does pass on the news on a regular basis.

chenoweth 13 October, 2019 10:29
Hi Aggie
Have to say this season has been a long time coming which I am sure compounded with the three away games has not helped to create interest. However with the Mennaye looking amazing and the quality of squad assembled I believe we are in for a great season. Interest will soon revive when we bring supporters together again. I believe this could be the best league as in quality of sides that I have seen in the Championship. Starting with a W is not going to be easy but certainly achievable. C'mon Pirates.

Pirate15 13 October, 2019 16:28
I agree with the majority of comments already made, there are now many different outlets to keep yourself updated about the Pirates. I don't think the stadium delay has had any effect on the reduced numbers using this particular forum.

AggiePirate 13 October, 2019 18:04
Thanks for the comments people. I don't do Facebook although my wife is on it, and as far as I'm aware is a 'friend', although I have to say she doesn't comment much on any Pirates 'news'. And she is a former steward, same as me.
The tag line on this forum is to post stories to keep it alive, and it seems to me that having a number of different outlets for comments dilutes interest.
Personally I feel the club needs to do far more to publicise and grow the brand, but even the excellent S4C website has gone quiet recently. Surely we could all do with an update on the stadium, even if it is simply to say in the most general of terms what is happening?

old prop steve 13 October, 2019 20:00
The lack of traffic on here can probably be put down to several things including Facebook, late start to the proper season, no home games until mid-October, focus on world cup, lack of anything positive on stadium (no news is generally bad news) etc

Also the site doesn't help itself as there is very little real news content. Stuff about local community work is fine as far as it goes but nothing about plans for the changing rooms, the new scoreboard, the improved match day dining facilities, only one injury update, nothing from coaches, videos from matches, training or new players and reports from games should be on within 2 hours of the final whistle etc etc.

We are making great progress on so many fronts - don't let this one lag behind as we are falling behind other clubs' websites..

*Stalwart 13 October, 2019 20:08
Hopefully the brilliant display from the team today will raise the spirits of some of those commenting on here. The Mennaye was looking really good with the beautiful are playing surface and the excellent "big screen" scoreboard. Over 1700 turned up and were royally entertained. Should be well over 2000 for the Newcastle game hopefully.
A visit to The Mennaye is a very good day out with good food on offer in the clubhouse and outside at the various outlets as well as beer etc. This team play an exciting brand of rugby, and then there's a proper Cornish sing song in the marquee after the game. Ansum!

Longrockerz1 14 October, 2019 07:57
As one who doesn't have a Facebook accounnt and never will, I will remain faithful to this forum and enjoy doing so. As said above this forum allows for a lengthy debate and threads can be resurrected easily by simply adding a reply. Once a comment on FB has disappeared I understand from Mrs Longockerz it is almost impossible to find due to the vast amounts of newer posts you have to wade through.

*Stalwart 14 October, 2019 08:05
Quote:
Longrockerz1
As one who doesn't have a Facebook accounnt and never will, I will remain faithful to this forum and enjoy doing so. As said above this forum allows for a lengthy debate and threads can be resurrected easily by simply adding a reply. Once a comment on FB has disappeared I understand from Mrs Longockerz it is almost impossible to find due to the vast amounts of newer posts you have to wade through.

That's exactly right - let's hope enough people keep using this to keep alive.

bolingey pirate 14 October, 2019 08:13
A fair point Stalwart. Yesterday's game did "raise the spirits". Probably the best game we've seen for years!! Lets hope there is news of the stadium soon to keep the impetus going !!

SJP 14 October, 2019 08:42
Quote:
AggiePirate
Thanks for the comments people. I don't do Facebook although my wife is on it, and as far as I'm aware is a 'friend', although I have to say she doesn't comment much on any Pirates 'news'. And she is a former steward, same as me.
The tag line on this forum is to post stories to keep it alive, and it seems to me that having a number of different outlets for comments dilutes interest.
Personally I feel the club needs to do far more to publicise and grow the brand, but even the excellent S4C website has gone quiet recently. Surely we could all do with an update on the stadium, even if it is simply to say in the most general of terms what is happening?

aggie, Tina is probably spending her time on the Leeds Utd page (LOL)

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

1spy 14 October, 2019 12:47
Not sure this sites Format has been an improvement. Perhaps why its not so popular.

chenoweth 14 October, 2019 15:42
Sorry Ispy

Surely the content of what is being said is what is important and not the site.
Anyone with good comments are worth listening to.

AggiePirate 14 October, 2019 21:18
Quote:
SJP
Quote:
AggiePirate

aggie, Tina is probably spending her time on the Leeds Utd page (LOL)

You are correct there my friend. And the manager only speaks Spanish!

piratepilot 15 October, 2019 13:02
I think the problem with this site is it's long overdue a visual overhaul. It looks dated and the navigation of the site is cumbersome and slow at times. This, coupled with the abundance of obnoxious adverts, is the reason I don't frequent this site as much as I used to. That being said, I still enjoy coming back here and reading all your pre and post-match comments.

Caradon Pirate 16 October, 2019 10:35
I don't think it's a case of people losing interest, it's just that there are now many choices on social media reference the Pirates to contribute to and facebook tends to be popular. There is nothing wrong with this site and as far as I am concerned still is the best one for Pirates supporters. I think traffic will pick up again and the prediction league will get a few late stragglers, but by gar haven't we got off to a good start to the season

ascloseasthis 16 October, 2019 12:29
Can we all agree that we are not snowflakes and we are entitled to our opinions. Perhaps then an open and honest discussion can take place on here without fear of upsetting those dear snowflakes who nowadays like to find offence in whatever is said. Itís a rugby forum after all.

chenoweth 16 October, 2019 13:52
I don't think anyone on this site is a shrinking violet, open and honest debate is to be to be applauded and I have yet to find anyone who failed to be really excited by our game against EALING so let us all agree that we may occasionally disagree.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net