Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

What is happening part 2
Discussion started by AggiePirate , 21 October, 2019 16:44
What is happening part 2
AggiePirate 21 October, 2019 16:44
Last weekend we watched two of the RWC quarter finals, and whilst there were patches of brilliance, particularly by NZ, what a boring spectacle rugby union has become.
Here in southern Spain we don't get to see any rugby, as it is soccer, soccer, soccer, and only soccer. We had to go to an Irish pub on the costa to see the games, and this was therefore the first rugby we have seen since the last world cup.
What a lot of pointless hanging around there is now? And the scrums? I know the authorities acted to make the game safer, but there is so much TMO and nothing happening. Is this progress for the sport?
I imagine you people who watch week in and week out maybe haven't noticed, but for us we could barely work up any enthusiasm for the games, which were like watching American football. Truly I was bored rigid and it was only the Guinness which kept me watching!

Re: What is happening part 2
Pirate15 21 October, 2019 19:14
Sorry Aggie but I completely disagree with you. Maybe you haven't seen enough rugby in recent times to appreciate the quality of the games played to date.
Many of the countries involved have produced some really entertaining games including the so called lesser teams at Tier 2 who have all raised their games for the world cup.
Fiji have been fantastic with ball in hand, Uruguay have impressed with their guts and determination and Japan have been outstanding.
If anything it is some of the Tier 1 countries who have been less impressive, Scotland, Ireland and Australia come to mind.
I think we are in for great semi-final weekend with the England V New Zealand clash worthy of being the final.
The wonderful stadiums and superb hospitality in Japan has added greatly to a 1st class worldwide spectacle.

*Stalwart 21 October, 2019 19:57
Have to agree with P15. There have been some cracking games at the RWC and the performance of Japan especially, with their super fast, skilful running game has been a revelation.
Add to that the excellent performance of the England team and Wales' slightly lucky, but tense victory over France and we've seen some very good games.
The icing on the cake this season is the form of The Pirates, who are producing some thrilling attacking rugby as well as bodies-on-the-line, fearless defence.
I'm enjoying this season immensely.

ascloseasthis 22 October, 2019 08:27
Obviously having too much sun Aggie. The game has changed to what it was when many of us played, the physicality and fitness levels are amazing. Just enjoy it for what it is.

cornishbob 22 October, 2019 11:11
With all due respect Aggie maybe you ought to get to see some more games then pass comment, having an opinion on a few internationals once in a while hardly qualifies you to judge whats really happening in rugby. From very local to the prem the standards have improved immensely over the past few years IMO. The Spanish do have some local rugby maybe a visit to at least one of their games might be an idea!!

1spy 22 October, 2019 12:26
Sorry Aggie its been a great World Cup so far. Premier Rugby was very entertaining last season. Go online and buy a BT Sport package. If internet speeds are slow in Spain use a satellite connection.

old prop steve 22 October, 2019 14:17
Agree that overall rugby at top levels is faster, cleaner, better officiated and line-outs and breakdowns are a vast improvement over the so-called 'good old days'.

However comments like Aggie's who doesn't watch a lot of rugby- along with about 98% of the population- deserve some reflection if it is ever to make a truly global breakthrough.

Firstly the laws are far too complicated for the average occasional viewer - or indeed player - to get his or head around.

Secondly the fixation with sheer physical size is a great turn off for many potential players - often to the detriment of speed and skill. Women's rugby in some ways is a better product from this point of view as with Sevens and Tens (which is never seen in the UK). Size also has a lot to do with safety or indeed the lack of it.

Thirdly as football is struggling with VAR - rugby is now being stopped far too many times for lengthy TMO decisions. There is a balance to be struck between getting everything precisely right and detracting from the overall spectacle. My personal view is that it should be used for whether a try has been scored and not for forensic examination of borderline tackles etc where referees should have a good 'feel' for the atmosphere of game they are officiating and should be able to use their discretion a great deal more.

Fourthly. The so-called Tier 1 nations are doing a lousy job in encouraging development in other countries. Clubs could use the pre-season by playing sponsored trips to places like Rumania, Georgia, Spain etc rather than meaningless local friendlies. National teams could also send A and Under 20 teams to play in those places too.

Don't expect people to necessarily agree with me on my 4 points but I would contend that insights from the occasional viewer can be useful in seeing the wood for the trees.

AggiePirate 22 October, 2019 15:26
Thank you OPS! Exactly the debate I was trying to provoke, rather than some of the other negative, and somewhat expected, comments.
These are serious issues if the game is to attract a wider audience. In the NZ-Ireland game for instance, I think that in the first ten minutes there was less than 2 minutes actual rugby, the rest was just standing around for one reason or another. Hardly likely to attract the neutrals.
Yes some of the play was scintillating. I was cheering for the Japanese against SA. We will watch the England-NZ game in Bristol this coming weekend, and make the 200-mile round trip to the same great little Irish bar (The Wild Rover in Torre del Mar if you are ever in that vicinity) for the final.
But has the game progressed as a spectacle? When I started playing rugby at school in 1967 my Dad used to joke it was 'all a*se and whistle.' I wonder what he would say about the game now?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net