Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

SARACENS
Discussion started by cheshire exile , 05 November, 2019 11:13
SARACENS
cheshire exile 05 November, 2019 11:13
Just been announced that Saracens have been docked 35 points and fined 5 million for salary cap breaches over three seasons. The points deduction applies in the current season so Saracens are no way on minus 26 points after three games.
There is an appeal process but this is pretty serious stuff. Saracens effectively are now in a fight against relegation. If London Irish prove to be competitive Saracens may find they have a very high mountain to climb.

Re: SARACENS
*Stalwart 05 November, 2019 11:22
Wow - didn't expect that. Tough on the fans, but if they broke the rules. it's fair enough.

1spy 05 November, 2019 12:47
Reported in the media the Premier League Cartel will Ring Fence league if Saracens look like being relegated.

Pirate15 05 November, 2019 15:45
This investigation is probably long overdue as it has been previously reported that Saracens were sailing pretty close to the wind regarding the salary gap. If my understanding of media reports are correct their owner Nigel Wray is creating limited company's in the name of his contracted players and then transferring properties into their name to get around salary payments.

cornishbob 05 November, 2019 16:59
Cheshire it's simple maths as far as I can see, so far they amassed 9pts in the prem now deduct 35 from that and it leaves you with -26. There's all sorts of wrangling going on right now I'd lay odds, nothing is certain. The intriguing bit for me is if they have overstepped the mark as it seems, will they unload players, or has Nigel Wray got another wrangle he's working on?

Surrey Pirate 06 November, 2019 16:14
Unless Saracens end up having to ship out a load of players before May, I would suggest it is highly unlikely they will be relegated. If you look at their points tallies over the last five or six years, they would not have been relegated with a deduction of 35 points from their tally, and more often than not quite comfortably clear of relegation.

old prop steve 06 November, 2019 17:55
A lot will depend upon their morale over the next 3-4 months - they have got bucketloads of talented players but that's only half the story.

1spy 06 November, 2019 19:03
Saracens play Gloucester on Sunday. The players can expect a lot of stick from The Shed.

old prop steve 08 November, 2019 14:19
Does anyone on here know what the salary cap includes apart from base pay? I confess I don't.

Bonuses? Signing on fees? Company car? Free petrol? Free flights home for overseas players and families? Image rights? Stakeholder pensions? A second sinecure job? Jobs for spouses/partners? Family private medical insurance? Golden handshakes on leaving? Benefits for long service? Share or stock options in parent company? etc etc etc.

The list goes on and on and some or all could easily be used to sweeten the pill for a player- but I have no idea what is or is not included in arriving at the 7m+2 'marquees'.

However If the rules are indeed vague or silent on such things then you can bet these will be exploited widely.

AggiePirate 08 November, 2019 16:02
Danny Care was talking in the Times today about how other clubs' cheating has undermined Harlequins chances.
Er.... Bloodgate, Danny?

Expat Pirate 08 November, 2019 17:45
Have not had a chance to read this document, but it appears to be the Official regulations of the current Prem salary cap. It may not answer all your questions, Steve, but I hope it helps us to understand it better.

[d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net]

C'mon you Pirates !!!!

old prop steve 08 November, 2019 21:57
Thanks Colin. All that should get me off to sleep nicely tonight!
Serves me bleddy right for asking!!!

1spy 09 November, 2019 09:04
A number of top paid players drive Landrover Jaguars are they not given to them by the Company who is a massive Rugby Sponsor.

cornishbob 09 November, 2019 09:06
I'm guessing most prem clubs and some beyond will be checking out the rules to make sure they aren't transgressing!!! This could be the tip of a very big iceberg.

Caradon Pirate 09 November, 2019 10:01
Once again the ugly "R" word appears.

*Stalwart 09 November, 2019 20:19
Watching the Glos v Sarries game and listening to the discussions about the salary cap was interesting. The salary cap is there to create a level playing field and a fair competition. Yet it is acceptable for a club to be relegated from the premiership with a huge parachute payment which enables them to dominate the league and gives all the other clubs virtually no chance of competing against them. Funny that.

cornishbob 10 November, 2019 17:57
Good point Stalwart.

Pirate15 18 November, 2019 17:44
No appeal by Saracens but what happens now?
Are the RFU going to insist that they provide clear evidence that they are under the salary cap for this season?

Pirate15 26 November, 2019 13:54
Speculation in today's media that PRL/RFU may have requested a mid-season audit of Saracens to ensure they are compliant with this seasons salary cap.

cheshire exile 26 November, 2019 17:33
What happens then; do they have to loan players out or pay off their contracts to keep within the cap? Murkier and murkier.
In the meantime Leicester need to sort themselves out or well be seeing them at the Mennaye next season.

1spy 26 November, 2019 18:21
My money is on Worcester for the drop again.

wallwuz 26 November, 2019 20:31
Unless we gain promotion. Its still possible

wigston pirate 27 November, 2019 09:02
Pirates at Welford Road.....................yippeee

(Sm109)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net