Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Pirates v Nottingham
Discussion started by Pirate15 , 29 November, 2019 16:17
Pirates v Nottingham
Pirate15 29 November, 2019 16:17
A number of changes have been made to the starting XV for Sundays cup game with some regulars getting a well deserved break. There are welcome first starts for Harry Davey, Cian Romaine and Antonio Kiri Kiri with another debutant Will Norton on the bench.
Full details on the clubs website.
Starting XV
15 AJ Cant 14 Harry Davey 13 Robin Wedlake 12 Rory Parata 11 Maliq Holden 10 Will Cargill (c)
9 Alex Schwarz 1 Hayden King 2 Dan Frost 3 Craig Mitchell 4 Cian Romaine 5 Danny Cutmore
6 James McRae 7 Antonio Kiri Kiri 8 Tom Duncan
Replacements
16 Tom Channon 17 Will Norton 18 Sam Rodman 19 Jake Clemson 20 Sam Matavesi
21 Ruaridh Dawson 22 Javier Rojas Alvarez 23 Matt Evans

Re: Pirates v Nottingham
Pirate15 29 November, 2019 16:20
Cornish Pirates vs Nottingham
Referee: Joe James
Assistant referees: Simon Adams, Adam Wookey
Assessor: Craig Maxwell-Keys

northseapirate 29 November, 2019 22:03
Interesting selection....really looking forward to seeing the 'new boys' and great to see Matt Evans back....we have some cracking wingers......and the rest of the squad are pretty damn good as well!

MEP

"It isn't failure that diminishes your effort, you are diminished only by failing to make the effort"

welshpirate 01 December, 2019 18:18
Was that a record match for knock ons ? Must have been at least 20! An experimental Pirates side were a shambles in the middle of the park and were sliced open at ease. We never really threatened apart from good 10-15 minutes in the first half. We huffed, we puffed, then dropped the ball. Crowd of 1000, was poor too. Make it £10 on the gate and be done with it. If not sub 1000 next weekend.

Black Bart 01 December, 2019 18:50
Got to agree, worst Pirates performance for a long time, penalties are back!!!

Pirate15 01 December, 2019 21:57
A really bad day at the office from our perspective but fair play to Nottingham who looked the more cohesive side and dangerous with the ball in hand.
We looked completely out of sorts and made numerous unforced errors. We struggled to get on the front foot up front and our back play was lateral with very little penetration. Our defence lacked the line speed of recent weeks and we failed to win the collisions and breakdown.
I can't remember the last time I witnessed such a below par performance by the Pirates and we need to pick up our performance levels over the next 2 games to be in any chance of qualifying for the next round.
Thankfully we are a very honest and humble set of players and coaches so I expect a lot of soul searching this week and a much improved performance against Leeds.

chenoweth 02 December, 2019 09:12
Not going to knock the players here for a disjointed display although felt winning this match would have see us through with Carnegie to play next week in the cup. However going with an experimental fifteen I just felt we had to put players on the bench that had the experience to come on and change the game. We chose to put players on the bench that had little or no experience and in my opinion was why we were unable to change the game second half. Fair play to Nottingham they were more positive throughout and fully deserve their win. We need to regroup and get back to our performance which excited everyone against Ealing, I don't think we have been at that level since.

*Stalwart 02 December, 2019 13:41
It's a difficult thing - these guys have got to play, but it was clear that we'd made too many changes for the Nottingham game and the performance was very disjointed. Nottingham played well, defended solidly and looked dangerous going forward. No doubt lessons will be learned from this, and we are still in with a good chance of progressing out of the group - although a home quarter final looks unlikely.

ascloseasthis 02 December, 2019 14:06
We are very lucky to have a squad size that enables the team to rotate. There must be guys chomping at the bit to play, it if opportunities are few then there is bound to be performances that donít quite go to plan. Give them a chance and well done for playing for the Pirates.

Pirate15 02 December, 2019 18:08
As we have come to expect a very honest post match comment by coach Alan Paver that the coaching team have to hold their hands up as they may have made too many changes for the game.

northseapirate 02 December, 2019 19:24
England V South Africa comes to mind.....but without the team changes! We did not turn up (hackneyed phrase) and they did.
Notwithstanding the Notts result and performance I would play the same 23 against Yorks.
Injuries will cause squad rotation through the season and this next match will give the boys more time together in a competitive environment but not under the pressure of say Ealing or Doncaster or...Lndn Scotts.
Let's get back in the saddle boys.

MEP

"It isn't failure that diminishes your effort, you are diminished only by failing to make the effort"

chenoweth 02 December, 2019 19:51
Not something I would advocate clearly the blend was not right, this is not a case of whether players are good enough merely the chosen mix did not work. Much easier to learn from your mistakes rather than compound them.

northseapirate 03 December, 2019 07:48
I agree, the blend was not right, but the only way to improve that is for players to get the experience of playing together; the next game provides an opportunity to give these players that opportunity. The only other option is to play the 'first 15' every game untill they fall over.
The coaches make the decisions but I feel we need to ensure that our players get real game time.

MEP

*Stalwart 03 December, 2019 09:42
It will be interesting to see what the coaches do. Will they pick the same team and say, "Here's your chance to put it right" or do they change tack and put in some more experienced players?

chenoweth 03 December, 2019 10:33
Definitely two ways to look at it and thankfully not our decision. We pay and have our say which is fine and I don't think anyone would knock our players or coaches for performances that are below par despite the disappointment. Anyone who watched the demolition of Leicester by Northampton would find it difficult to believe that almost half the team were returning England Internationals and they looked very ordinary indeed and the side rudderless. Northampton looked organised, decisive and played with pace and destroyed Leicester which just goes to show how important the jigsaw is.

Wino 05 December, 2019 18:47
I rather hope that we do play largely the same team against Leeds. Many of the players were debuting and it was necessarily a new combination. These are good players who need time together. Look at Danny Cutmore, Callum Patterson and Maliq Holden - all new last season but amongst our top performers this season so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net