Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

S4C news.
Discussion started by 1spy , 05 December, 2019 17:22
S4C news.
1spy 05 December, 2019 17:22
Chancellor Sajid Javid visited Mennaye today to discuss project with Stakeholders. Report on Cornwalllive website and recorded interview.

Re: S4C news.
Wino 05 December, 2019 18:37
Well knock me down with a feather. Anyone would think thereís an election on.

AggiePirate 05 December, 2019 19:33
And needless to say there is no further news of when the three million measly quid will be forthcoming. As promised by Cameron originally.
No doubt the club and S4C will be providing an update forthwith.....

Longrockerz1 05 December, 2019 20:29
Well, wasn't that a totally pointless interview! All there was in it were side steps, unanswered questions, back slapping and bigging up of the Tory candidates standing in Cornwall.

Geoff DC 05 December, 2019 20:31
Link To The Interview Sajid Javid at The Mennaye

Caradon Pirate 08 December, 2019 10:01
All hot air and Tory propaganda coming from the man who a few years ago said Cornwall needs to step in to line and forget that we have a different history, culture and heritage to England. This has done and will do nothing towards the S4C.

*Stalwart 08 December, 2019 10:45
We get these kinds of platitudes from all politicians. The problem at the moment is nothing to do with the government. It's to do with the ransom strip, which is more to do with incompetence at Cornwall Council (allegedly). If, and when they sort that out, the CC money will kick in and the government have pledged to match it. If they fail to do that, or honour it, then judge them.

Geoff DC 08 December, 2019 16:34

chenoweth 08 December, 2019 17:01
Amazing News! Never thought I would live long enough to see it. Have to now!!!

1spy 08 December, 2019 17:23
Fantastic news. The Dream is coming true.

welshpirate 08 December, 2019 18:11
Great news, enjoyed the second greatly!!

Pirate15 08 December, 2019 19:37
Fantastic news and there is now a statement from Dicky Evans on the clubs website. Words alone cannot express the debt of gratitude that fans of the Pirates owe Dicky Evans and his fellow board members of the pirates, the stadium partners, S4C support group and everyone else who has worked tirelessly over the last decade to bring this project to reality.
In summary;
The land transfer is now complete.
The £3M from the council is due to be signed over this week and a request for a similar amount will be made to the 'new' government of Friday.
Both of these are grants paid back over 25 years(as public money cannot be given to private companies such as the pirates).
The S4C partners have acquired additional land so that a hotel can be built on the site.
Crowdfunding due to start before Xmas.
Tenders for the construction will go out once everything is in place with a completion date in the summer of 2022.[/email]

Porthusek Pirate 08 December, 2019 23:18
Really great news, fantastic!

*Stalwart 09 December, 2019 09:33
Endorse everything that P15 says. This has been a long, tortuous journey and many would have given up years ago. Dicky is a legend - his tireless work (along with many others as P15 says) against, what seemed at times hopeless odds, has finally paid off. Still a lot of work to be done but all the major hurdles are now cleared. What a brilliant early Xmas present!
I know we shouldn't really bring politics into this, but a change of government would muddy the waters as this current lot have made the pledge to match the funding from the Council. I know we're all sceptical about promises from politicians, but all the discussions and work have been done with them. Just saying.

Rich. 09 December, 2019 10:57
Excellent news!!

truropirate 09 December, 2019 11:59
Great news. As one of the many people that marched from Truro city football club to County Hall many years ago to help deliver the petition very happy person. Did not expect to see it happen in my life now hoping to see the first game in the stadium(Sm91)

Wino 09 December, 2019 14:14
Clearly all good news but I have to say I do not appreciate being bullied/bribed about how I should vote. Iíll make my own mind up thank you.

wigston pirate 09 December, 2019 14:51
P15 your column puts in plain language and it all sounds great news and looking forward to the future for the club supporters, board and especially Dickie for his endurance Can Dickie be granted title " Duke of Cornwall" or would this be stepping on someones toes!!

Great news and after yesterday with the rumour mill going around wanting to hear the official version from the man himself.

(Sm109)

Caradon Pirate 09 December, 2019 15:16
*Stalwart, as much as I want the S4C, I also want a change of government and to keep our NHS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2019 15:23 by Caradon Pirate.

1spy 09 December, 2019 16:16
truropirate like you i marched to County Hall 7 years ago fortunately we are lucky ones still having a chance to see it being completed. Looking back its sad to say a number of other supporters on that march are no longer with us.

*Stalwart 09 December, 2019 17:01
Quote:
Wino
Clearly all good news but I have to say I do not appreciate being bullied/bribed about how I should vote. Iíll make my own mind up thank you.
No bullying or bribing - just stating the facts.

Charlestown Pirate 09 December, 2019 19:31
Well said Stalwart!!!

Charlestown Pirate 09 December, 2019 19:34
And of course great news about the stadium, the thought of playing a bit of prem rugby at the mennaye before the big move to Truro would literally be my dream come true...

Well done indeed to all in involved!

chenoweth 09 December, 2019 19:34
Caradon Pirate
Sports and Politics are separate and no one would want to influence anyone.
And as for the NHS if any political party tried to privatise it they would be out on their ear.
Not gonna happen just scaremongering.

tomthepom 09 December, 2019 20:34
Quote:
chenoweth
Caradon Pirate

confused smiley

Caradon Pirate 10 December, 2019 10:54
Quote:
chenoweth
Caradon Pirate
And as for the NHS if any political party tried to privatise it they would be out on their ear.
Not gonna happen just scaremongering.

Chenoweth, aren't you being a bit naive about this, sports and politics are not separate, although they should be but as we have seen over the past decades they are certainly not.
As for the NHS, please do not insult our intelligence as it is a well known fact from 2011 that the Tories were planning to slowly privatise the NHS as talked about on the Sunday politics programme of that time.

old prop steve 10 December, 2019 10:56
Can we stick to the Stadium for Cornwall please?

truropirate 10 December, 2019 12:42
come on this is great news for CORNWALL lets stick to rugby

Caradon Pirate 10 December, 2019 12:49
My apologies folks, of course it's good news for Kernow and yes, let's stick to the subject.

1spy 10 December, 2019 14:34
Give politics a break. Only discuss Stadium4Cornwall on this thread please.

chenoweth 10 December, 2019 16:45
Yup me too.

AggiePirate 10 December, 2019 21:19
To all those getting on their high horses about the mix of sport and politics on this thread, I would respectfully remind you of Dickies recent post on the offy and S4C sites.

'I will write another piece on this next week when we have clarity on who is holding the reigns of power in #10,Downing Street (or actually #11)

In conclusion, I hold out no hope whatsoever for any funding from the Government should the Chancellor not be in place cum Friday.
'

And hasn't the major difficulty getting the plans through Cornwall Council over the past few years been down to local politics?

*Stalwart 11 December, 2019 09:51
Quote:
AggiePirate
To all those getting on their high horses about the mix of sport and politics on this thread, I would respectfully remind you of Dickies recent post on the offy and S4C sites.
'I will write another piece on this next week when we have clarity on who is holding the reigns of power in #10,Downing Street (or actually #11)

In conclusion, I hold out no hope whatsoever for any funding from the Government should the Chancellor not be in place cum Friday.
'

And hasn't the major difficulty getting the plans through Cornwall Council over the past few years
been down to local politics?

Exactly. Whatever our personal political preferences are, these are the facts. All the talks over several years have been with this government, and Derek Thomas has clearly been a brilliant supporter of the stadium and had considerable influence.

Porthusek Pirate 11 December, 2019 12:20
Yes of course politics can affect what happens in sport and it can be reported objectively here IF the Admin/Moderator sees fit and IF it is relevant but what is now happening is that personal opinions are starting to enter the fray

Keep your personal political opinions either to yourself or on a suitbale political opinion forum (there are plenty out there), but NOT on this site - I am not interested in your personal political opinion, I am interested in what you have to say about the Cornish Pirates.

The site forum is one place where you can come to get away with all the tripe that people spout politically (depending on you views) so lets keep it that way.

As for the stadium news? What a fantastic prospect.

I run a guest house on the shores of the Solent and during the winter my wife and I try to get away frequently and I am looking forward to at least one long weekend in Cornwall over the rugby season to watch the Pirates either in the new stadium (or the Mennaye short term) or in the premiership and hopefully both!!

Great stuff!!!!

1spy 11 December, 2019 13:46
Porthusek Pirate your spot on with your comment. I started this thread as it was very positive news at last. I expected to see further positive posts. Unfortunately it has now drifted into a political blog.

Geoff DC 11 December, 2019 15:51
Putting my Mods hat on for a minute, I'm sure everyone posted in good faith - but maybe its time to draw a line under political comment.

Suffice to say massive thanks to all who have helped progress the Project, regardless of political allegiance.

My one political comment would be to wish the 'Honourable Member for The Stone Age' - Tommy Bray - a few more years good health so that he can not only witness the opening of the Stadium but Pirates promotion to the Prem. hot smiley

*Stalwart 11 December, 2019 17:54
Quote:
Geoff DC
Putting my Mods hat on for a minute, I'm sure everyone posted in good faith - but maybe its time to draw a line under political comment.
Suffice to say massive thanks to all who have helped progress the Project, regardless of political allegiance.

My one political comment would be to wish the 'Honourable Member for The Stone Age' - Tommy Bray - a few more years good health so that he can not only witness the opening of the Stadium but Pirates promotion to the Prem. hot smiley

Well said Geoff.

Wino 11 December, 2019 18:07
Funny how so many posters on this thread advocate not mentioning politics but then canít resist finishing their post with a political comment . Funny also that they have collective amnesia over the person who introduced politics into this issue in the first place!

Caradon Pirate 11 December, 2019 18:26
Quote:
Wino
Funny how so many posters on this thread advocate not mentioning politics but then canít resist finishing their post with a political comment . Funny also that they have collective amnesia over the person who introduced politics into this issue in the first place!

(Sm112) (Sm112) (Sm112)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 18:27 by Caradon Pirate.

Geoff DC 11 December, 2019 19:34
Wino - Welcome to our forum (For A Minute a thought you were Tommy's Mate Laurence Read)

Maybe you could introduce yourself so that we know your interests & your support for the Pirates

WE are a friendly bunch - although we don't all share the same allegiances outside of rugby

On here we are what we are - Kernow Bys Vycken (Sm128)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 19:36 by Geoff DC.

Wino 11 December, 2019 20:01
Geoff, Iím an emmet who has happily lived in West Cornwall and supported Pirates for over a decade, latterly as a season ticket holder.

Other than that Iím just a boring old fart.

AggiePirate 11 December, 2019 21:00
Quote:
Geoff DC

You are lucky, Geoff. I was drinking with 'Tommy Bray' in our local flamenco club on Saturday night. Not the original one thankfully but the living image, and I have this overwhelming urge to separate him from his teeth, whilst this massive black bull inserts his horns where the sun don't shine!

1spy 17 December, 2019 12:42
Derek Thomas told Laurence Reed this lunchtime he was now confident about getting the government funding for S4C. Listeners are commenting on S4C on todays programme.

AggiePirate 17 December, 2019 15:35
And what was the gist of the comments, can anyone say? Are the public generally for or against? Is there still antagonism about the stadium or are people gradually recognising what a wonderful opportunity and asset it will be, not only for sport, but education and business?
And has Larry Reid changed his tune?

*Stalwart 17 December, 2019 17:34
We don't have to listen to the naysayers - great news from Mr Thomas.

1spy 17 December, 2019 18:19
Naysayers are now history. Laurence Reed was positive today. He did mention the S4C Stakeholders were at a meeting today at County Hall.

1spy 16 January, 2020 13:55
Reported in local press today that a Reserved Matters Planning Application will go to the Planning Committee next week. It has the support of Cornwall Council Planning Officers. Leading Naysayer Councillor Dyer requested it goes to committee due to his concerns about visual impact and traffic.

*Stalwart 16 January, 2020 14:30
Sounds like another desperate attempt to scupper the project. I see that Tommy Bray has emerged from the darkness to add his wisdom again.

AggiePirate 16 January, 2020 21:29
Quote:
1spy
Reported in local press today that a Reserved Matters Planning Application will go to the Planning Committee next week. It has the support of Cornwall Council Planning Officers. Leading Naysayer Councillor Dyer requested it goes to committee due to his concerns about visual impact and traffic.

I cannot see anything on either Cornwall Live (no surprise there) or S4C websites. Is this a biggie, do we think?

*Stalwart 16 January, 2020 21:41
Quote:
AggiePirate
Quote:
1spy

I cannot see anything on either Cornwall Live (no surprise there) or S4C websites. Is this a biggie, do we think?

Hopefully not, just approving the tweaks that have been made to the original plan. Fingers crossed.

1spy 17 January, 2020 13:37
AggiePirate it was reported on Cornwalllive.

AggiePirate 17 January, 2020 21:54
Well I didn't see it, and I check that site twice a day.
Just been looking at Exeter Chiefs new plans. Just goes to show what having a go-ahead council behind the club can do.

1spy 18 January, 2020 09:06
AggiePirate a majority of Cornwall Council and the Cabinet are now supporting the Stadium just a tiny minority of Naysayers are against. Planning Permission has already passed by Cornwall Council for a Hotel at Langarth with the Stadium years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2020 09:19 by 1spy.

1spy 18 January, 2020 09:18
AggiePirate
Planning Application report is still on Falmouth Packet website. Go to Local Truro News section.
Have a good weekend.

AggiePirate 18 January, 2020 19:16
Found it thanks.
You have a good weekend too.

1spy 23 January, 2020 11:32
Pirates Ltd Reserved Matters Planning Application for Stadium approved by Strategic Planning Committee this morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 13:44 by 1spy.

artee 23 January, 2020 12:22
Stadium for Cornwall Reserved Matters Application Approved 23/01/2020
Another stage approved on the revised planning for the stadium

[stadium4cornwall.blogspot.com]

Pirate15 23 January, 2020 12:34
Great news, another step forward, well done to all those working hard to deliver the S4C.

Longrockerz1 23 January, 2020 14:06
The report on the S4C site says that this approval is in relation to the outline planning approval!! I thought that we had full planning consent.

*Stalwart 23 January, 2020 16:26
Well, approval must be good. Yet another hurdle jumped. We wait for the next one!

1spy 23 January, 2020 17:02
Interesting comment from Tony Rowe when cutting its first turf for the new Sandy Park Hotel. He praised the support from Exeter City Council and it has only taken two years from first discussing the project with them to starting the project.

Pirate15 23 January, 2020 17:06
Longrockerz1
I believe that as there has been a minor amendment to the original planning permission further approval was required.
Its good news and we are slowly moving forward to the day when work on the site will begin and the S4C will be delivered.

Jacob Englefield 23 January, 2020 21:16
For the benefit of everyone connected with the Cornish Pirates and the other stadium partners, it's about time this got built. Thankfully, with a bit of luck, the stadium build will start shortly. It's the least Dicky and others behind the scenes deserve.

AggiePirate 23 January, 2020 21:35
Quote:
1spy
Interesting comment from Tony Rowe when cutting its first turf for the new Sandy Park Hotel. He praised the support from Exeter City Council and it has only taken two years from first discussing the project with them to starting the project.

Yes if only Cornwall Council was supportive like that....
To be fair however, the Sandy Park ground was already there, roads etc in place, and it was away from the city next to the motorway.
S4C is a completely different scenario. Not just a stadium, but effectively a whole new town, retail, housing, on a massively congested road. So CC were considering the whole shooting match, not just the stadium. No wonder it has taken so long to agree.
Personally, I dislike the encroachment per se of development towards Chiverton and the A30, or anywhere else for that matter, and there is a fine line to be drawn between providing amenities, and concreting over what is our heritage and that of our children.
Having said all that, hopefully now we can just bleddy get on with it. And an update would be nice, Dicky!

1spy 24 January, 2020 09:48
AggiePirate
Cornwall Council have been very supportive over the last 3 to 4 years. Unfortunately yesterday Truro City Council representatives attempted to delay the project again. Councillors Cornelius Olivier and Andrew Long decided to shorten the debate which was only going over the same old ground bringing up points that had been rejected by committee when Planning Permission was granted in 2012. Both Councillors proposed and seconded acceptance of the Pirates Planning Application. Well done gentlemen. The application was unanimously approved by the committee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2020 10:00 by 1spy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net