Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Squad for next season
Discussion started by Wino , 17 May, 2020 12:24
Squad for next season
Wino 17 May, 2020 12:24
I’ve often thought that even the very best players can take a season to settle in to a new club. The fact that we now have 30 players who have at least one season under their belts with Pirates augers very well for next season. In addition, I’d be happy with any starting 15 combination from those 30 players, itself an indication of our strength in depth.

Re: Squad for next season
SAWTRY_PIRATE 17 May, 2020 12:44
I`m sure a lot of other clubs must be casting an envious glance at us that we are retaining pretty much most of our squad from last season.
That I know less than nothing about the clubs finances and recruitment policy, at the most, i`m only expecting probably a couple of new signings at the most. Maybe a centre and a second row?

cheshire exile 17 May, 2020 16:23
Buyer’s market at the moment. I think the only player we have lost (so far) is Brett owing to retirement.

Longrockerz1 18 May, 2020 18:32
Quote:
cheshire exile
Buyer’s market at the moment. I think the only player we have lost (so far) is Brett owing to retirement.
And Matt Evans. Gone from the player to team manager.
I think we could do with another No.10 and a second row maybe 2 if finance allows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2020 18:43 by Longrockerz1.

ForcesPirate91 18 May, 2020 20:15
Im not expecting any new permanent players. Think 1 or 2 more re signs and then a couple of dual registered players, its very much a buyers market but like the majority of teams we're not in a great buying position. Budgets dropped understandably. Only seems to be ealing who are really pushing on, they're signing lots of very talented players

wigston pirate 19 May, 2020 12:38
With players resigning and the quality they have I believe we should finish again at least 3rd and possibly 2nd. I understand Ealing are drawing in players but on the day will count.

(Sm109)

ForcesPirate91 19 May, 2020 15:04
Sarries will walk the league, Ealing 2nd but a way behind, we should give Ealing a run for their money. I'll be disappointed to finish lower than 3rd with our squad. 32 full time players of the quality we have so far is very good. Just need an update on that May 15th stadium deadline, I assume like many deadlines its just been and gone and with no progress, but I hope im wrong.

Longrockerz1 20 May, 2020 10:03
No news so far of Cian Romaine. Is he still injured,will he feature in the squad this season or has he been released? I hope not the latter, as the few times I've seen him play he seems to be a good player and we need good 2nd rowers.

Longrockerz1 20 May, 2020 11:15
Just taken another look at the Offy, questions now answered [cornish-pirates.com]

Pirate15 20 May, 2020 13:20
Its always difficult say goodbye to players who have given a lot towards the success of a season often with very little game time.
No real surprises given the budget reduction we are facing this season. Cian Romaine was one who I thought would be a real success but unfortunately illness and a major operation clearly set him back and he struggled to regain his full fitness and couldn't show us his real self.
Will Wilson can consider himself unlucky as he showed real potential when he was given the chance.
Best wishes to all of the players for next season and beyond. You will always be welcome at the Mennaye.

ForcesPirate91 21 May, 2020 21:10
Now the 2 big questions are When will the stadium be built so we need the update on the deadline which was nye on a week ago, no update about that. And when is Chris Sterling returning, those 2 are linked as he wont be back till the stadium starts, so he said anyway. We have the squad still, now we need to vision and future.

chenoweth 22 May, 2020 11:50
The Squad is looking very good however I still think another 2 players required to complete. Second row and another back row, however I would have been very pleased a month or so back to have kept the players we have.

ForcesPirate91 22 May, 2020 15:08
Another lock and I think we're alright, we havent replaced Bretts experience or ability in the 2nd row really, without him our lineout isnt the same. We've missed a big lock ever since the days of Barry, Nimmo, Myerscough. But I dont see anyone coming in that, if it were a DR it would be a youngster from Chiefs probably who covers 2nd row and back row, we could do with a dedicated 2nd row, with experience. But they cost money and thats short.

Pirate15 22 May, 2020 18:41
If the budget allows I agree that another couple of players would be nice and one should be a 2nd row. No doubt the coaches will know where we could do with further strengthening and of course we will most likely have our usual 4-6 players on D/R from the Chiefs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net