Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Bedford Saints
Discussion started by Black Bart , 25 June, 2020 21:53
Bedford Saints
Black Bart 25 June, 2020 21:53
Is this the new way forward. Bedford now Saints A side. I personally hope not, but watch this space

Re: Bedford Saints
cornishbob 26 June, 2020 07:57
Gd to know that Bedford have seemingly solved their current problems - BUT is this the start of the prem 'A' league in it's infancy?

Longrockerz1 26 June, 2020 09:15
For anyone that's interested, here's the link to the report from the Bedford Blues website.

Bedfort - Saints strategic partnership

Sounds as though without this arrangement Bedford would have really struggled financially and may even have ceased to exist. Thank you RFU!

1spy 26 June, 2020 09:44
Bedford had no other choice otherwise they would have struggled to survive.

Black Bart 26 June, 2020 14:39
If Bedford struggle with their relatively high attendance and part time squad (allegedly), then God help the rest of us!

1spy 26 June, 2020 17:23
Bedfords Geoff Irvine has financed the Club for many years and has been looking to retire. This deal with Saints will make them more financially secure. I think the fans including myself (a Bedfordian) will feel disappointed that a good Rugby Club like Bedford will lose its independence.

Pirate15 26 June, 2020 17:44
I understand the need for Bedford to look to their Premiership neighbours to secure their future but unless this is a clear 50/50 equal partnership then I can see problems for Bedford. Previous attempts to link up with Premiership clubs have not worked out for championship clubs as their premiership counterparts hold the upper hand. Players have often been recalled for ' A' league ,Premiership cup and European cup matches leaving championship clubs struggling due to unavailability. I think its unhealthy for the championship as a competition as clubs field different strength sides from week to week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/06/2020 21:40 by Pirate15.

Zallehnep 27 June, 2020 08:21
I think that other Championship Clubs will be looking with interest as the new 'partnership' develops and some may even be considering their own options.

cheshire exile 29 June, 2020 16:29
Pirate15, unfortunately it can never be a 50/50 partnership. The Premiership clubs hold all the cards and are now supported by Sweeney and his minions at the RFU. The A league is a pain for most Premiership clubs and many would be happy to see it fade away; they will probably reduce squad sizes anyway in the light of the pandemic and can then farm out younger or fringe players to the likes of Bedford, Nottingham and London Scottish.

AggiePirate 29 June, 2020 21:10
Weren't the Pirates supposed to have a similar tie-up with New Zealand? Not being an A team, but Colin Groves was making big noises. The pandemic has put paid to that of course, but pre-Covid there was little activity, as far as I could see.
Was this just a lot of hot air, or did/will some good out of it for us?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net