Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Truro City v Manchester United (OT?)
Discussion started by Porthusek Pirate , 08 July, 2020 11:16
Truro City v Manchester United (OT?)
Porthusek Pirate 08 July, 2020 11:16
This might be slightly OT other than the fact that Cornish Pirates now own Truro City!

I have been looking for the result of the match between Truro City v Manchester United on the 10th August 1987 at Treyew Road.

Can't seem to find it, there is a suggestion that it was 0 - 0 but I can't confirm that.

There are images of programmes available but I am wondering if the match even went ahead.

Don't suppose anybody can help with the final score line?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2020 11:17 by Porthusek Pirate.

Re: Truro City v Manchester United (OT?)
Surrey Pirate 12 July, 2020 08:53
Have you tried contacting people at Truro City FC via the contacts section of their website, or sending a message to their Twitter or Facebook pages? The Non-League Matters Forum website is also a good place to post a message to check as well - Non-League Matters Forum

Porthusek Pirate 14 July, 2020 19:36
Yes I have been looking at the Truro City FC forum page and might register.

I didn't really intend this to become a quest, I am not a Man Utd fan but my mate is and I'd love to tell him that Truro beat'em!! So it's a all bit trivial.

I am surprsied the result isn't obviously online, I found something that suggested a 0-0 but that wasn't clear!

Anyhow thanks for the reply.

cornishbob 15 July, 2020 08:39
Suggest you get hold of Dave Deacon or the Sunday independent. The former is an encyclodedia on all things football in Cornwall.

Porthusek Pirate 15 July, 2020 18:22
Thank you cornishbob.

old prop steve 15 July, 2020 19:55
Don't know abut Truro but United did once field a team against Mousehole in 1987. Quite a few top footie teams played on the Mennaye including Spurs, Villa, West Ham and Burnley and there may have been more. Both Liverpool and Celtic played at Penlee Park and I once watched Barnsley play at St.Just and Argyle at Porthleven. Could it ever happen these days??

Porthusek Pirate 15 July, 2020 22:18
Highly unlikely old prop steve!

Dave Deacon replied to me that 'it was suggested' that Utd won 4 - 0. Nearest I'll get I reckon so thanks cornishbob.

Just as well I didn't have a pint on it - not that I would have!!

AggiePirate 15 July, 2020 22:35
I once played at Twickenham Stoop, in the dark, after an England game in the 1970's, using an old suitcase as a ball. I vaguely recall having a few in the Harlequins bar, our hooker 'Animal' gargling the national anthem with a pint glass between his lips and teeth, then me scoring a 'try' with the suitcase. This might have been the St Agnes RFC trip with Liskey Tours from Perranporth, but what it has to do with Man Utd heaven knows, Great days though!

Porthusek Pirate 15 July, 2020 22:38
But back 'on topic' AggiePirate, so that's good!!!!

Porthusek Pirate 16 July, 2020 11:24
Just to wind this thread up.

Not only did I get the result of the Man Utd game against Truro, a contributor to the Cornwall Football Forum also detailed Man Utd playing Mousehole in 1987 and beating the Cornish side 6-0.

Brilliant and just shows the power of the internet if you go to the right place.

Thanks one and all!

And stay safe.

Surrey Pirate 19 July, 2020 09:39
What was the result of the Truro City v Manchester United game? Were you right at 4-0?

wigston pirate 19 July, 2020 16:16
I can recall Crystal Palace playing at Penlee Park early 70's. Went along have no idea what the score was but it was not in favour of the Magpies.

(Sm109)

Porthusek Pirate 19 July, 2020 20:03
Surrey Pirate: The response from Dave Deacon on the Cornwall Football Forum was:

'I've seen it suggested it finished 4-0 United'

No-one has added or corrected that subsequently, so it would seem yes. And there is a considearable football knowledge on that forum!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2020 20:04 by Porthusek Pirate.

Surrey Pirate 26 July, 2020 09:17
Celtic played at Penlee Park as well - for Penzance AFC's centenary. The Scots won 6-0.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net