Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Prem starts again!!!
Discussion started by cornishbob , 07 August, 2020 14:49
Prem starts again!!!
cornishbob 07 August, 2020 14:49

Re: Prem starts again!!!
*Stalwart 07 August, 2020 17:46
Proper job. Got BT Sport so will be binge watching next weekend!

1spy 07 August, 2020 17:47
Some of the games are on Channel 5 free to air.

wallwuz 09 August, 2020 18:51
But when does The Championship start ? Do we have to wait for Saracens to be relegated in real terms as well as on paper? The rugby world has gone mad , Saracens should be made to play in both competitions at the same time

*Stalwart 09 August, 2020 23:09
Quote:
wallwuz
But when does The Championship start ? Do we have to wait for Saracens to be relegated in real terms as well as on paper? The rugby world has gone mad , Saracens should be made to play in both competitions at the same time

The Prem games will be in empty stadia. They get shed loads of TV money. Champ rugby couldn't work without supporters, and that seems a long way off at the moment.

Pirate15 10 August, 2020 14:01
The Premiership 20-21 season is scheduled to start on Friday 20th November may be that is an indication of when we can be back playing rugby in the championship?
On another note according to the Rugby paper there is now a 2nd team under investigation for breaching the salary cap. The report doesn't name the team but said it is someone pushing for a top 4 finish( the current top 6 is Exeter, Sale, Bristol,Northampton, Wasps,Bath).

*Stalwart 10 August, 2020 15:11
Bristol have spent a lot of money, but who knows? It would be quite funny to see another of the Prem's cozy cartel relegated though! Ring fencing would certainly disappear for a while.

1spy 11 August, 2020 13:22
Sale have spent a lot of money as well. Unlike Bristol they get very poor attendances so most of the funding comes from the owner.

cheshire exile 15 August, 2020 11:52
Given the number of South Africans on Saleís books, I am sure there are plenty of innovative ways to try and avoid the salary cap using SA currency, property etc.
On the basis of their performance last night , Sale are not getting particularly good value for money.

Porthusek Pirate 16 August, 2020 12:03
Ring fencing, again.

Other than providing a lucrative 'closed shop' for the involved clubs what are the benefits?

Totally self defeating in the long run it seems to me.

How can a competitive league inspire any team if you do away with the aspiration of promotion and threat of relegation.

I just don't get it, maybe I'm not greedy or selfishly minded enough!

Or is that terribly cynical?

SJP 16 August, 2020 15:27
TV will get tired of wasting money on showing games between the bottom six, or even eight, which will be just friendlies without relegation. Even though football did have promotion and relegation it was only two up two down and with 20 odd clubs there were still too many nothing games and the game was slowly dying with less spectators. They saw the light and itnroduced playoffs and increased promotion and relegation to three up three down. The game has never looed back since.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

*Stalwart 16 August, 2020 21:38
Very well said SJP.

Peter_B 17 August, 2020 04:56
Thatís not what happened at all SJP. 3 up 3 down was introduced years before the playoffs came along. The playoffs are for the third promotion slot not the first and certainly not the only place. Absolute nonsense.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

SJP 17 August, 2020 09:43
Quote:
Peter_B
Thatís not what happened at all SJP. 3 up 3 down was introduced years before the playoffs came along. The playoffs are for the third promotion slot not the first and certainly not the only place. Absolute nonsense.

Long before I moved to Cornwall back in 1995 I had a season ticket for many years for my then local team first in the Championship and then in the Premier league so I know what I said is not nonsense at all. You contradict yourself by saying three up and three down came long before playoffs and then say the third place was decided by the playoffs There never was a time that third place was automatic promotion and it was decided by play offs between the third, fourth ,fifth and sixth teams.
As a result there was always something to play for right up to the end of the season and crowd numbers grew substantially after that through all the leagues and attracted huge TV money into the game.

As for ring fencing where did you stand on the subject when Bristol were in the Championship??

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

chenoweth 17 August, 2020 09:47
Peter B
Must say thought you were gonna be robbed of a well earned victory. Best individual try of the weekend written off by a rubbish decision. No other player would have had that obstruction upheld. Hope we don't have the same officials when we play them.

Pirate15 26 August, 2020 18:04
There may be light at the end of the tunnel for a possible return to spectators watching games according to Rugby Pass.
A crowd of 4,000 fans will potentially be allowed to attend the September 5 Gallagher Premiership clash at The Stoop between Harlequins and Bath following the launch of a series of pilot events throughout elite English sport for the return of spectators.
Administrators in Scotland last week announced that some fans would be allowed in at Murrayfield to watch next Fridayís Guinness PRO14 derby between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Now the authorities in England have followed suit, with the meeting of Quins and Bath set to be the first time spectators will be allowed attend a Premiership match since the March 8 fixture at Ashton Gate featuring Bristol and Harlequins.
This could be good news for Championship clubs who I understand don't want the league to start until crowds can watch the matches.

*Stalwart 26 August, 2020 18:16
Fingers crossed.

AggiePirate 26 August, 2020 22:08
Fingers crossed for a vaccine, Stalwart. Until we get that, the rest of it is just smoke and mirrors. And quite honestly, who would want to take the risk? Not me for sure.
See you in 2021, hopefully.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net