Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Money for football, what about Rugby?
Discussion started by *Stalwart , 02 October, 2020 15:11
Money for football, what about Rugby?
*Stalwart 02 October, 2020 15:11
National League clubs have been told they will receive an emergency grant to enable them to start the new season this weekend.

Officials have been in talks with the government over funding to help cover the losses incurred by a ban on fans.

Last week the government scrapped plans for a partial return of spectators from 1 October.

The National League said it was hopeful a "critical financial support package" could be agreed.

National League North clubs said they did not want to begin playing without crowds, and there had been fears some would withdraw from the FA Cup to avoid triggering player contracts they could not afford to continue.

But on Tuesday clubs received an email from the league's chief executive Michael Tattersall telling them that the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) was "working at pace… to design a package of support that will give the National League the reassurance it needs".

"This will include grants to cover essential revenue lost from fans not returning on 1 October as planned."

Clubs were told "the government recognises the immediate pressure National League clubs are under in respect of starting their season and are committed to play resuming in a viable way".

The size of any grant is yet to be confirmed, but BBC Sport understands the league is hoping for around £2-3m per month.

Re: Money for football, what about Rugby?
coombemouse 03 October, 2020 10:48
Yes indeed.
It was confirmed this morning on radio 4 (by someone from Dagenham & Redbridge FC, I think) as £10,000,000 for the first 3 months.
In adding to the Rolling Maul site I queried whether we should be lobbying our MPs. They seem to me to very much supine, lobby-fodder, but perhaps they are working away in the background and I don't know it.
Part of the justification for a grant to football was that the clubs are 'at the heart of the community'. Surely that applies to the Pirates, and pretty much every other rugby club in Cornwall?

*Stalwart 03 October, 2020 14:21
Exactly Coombemouse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 17:32 by *Stalwart.

1spy 03 October, 2020 16:38
What are the RFU doing?

cornishbob 04 October, 2020 12:38
1spy, in a word NOTHING it seems. They are more concerned about last years fixtures being completed for the Prem than every other club in the country getting dates to start - abandoned is another word that springs to mind. Perhaps the Champ clubs are sorting something out that forgets the RFU as was mentioned a little time ago, which may be the reason we haven't heard anything from anybody!!!!!

old prop steve 07 October, 2020 10:44
I am starting to seriously worry about the future of our entire sport.

Up until now I just felt we were going through a nasty hiccup but if thousands of young people turn to other sports it will never recover.

There could be an argument at lower levels to scrap leagues altogether for a year and let clubs sort out their own friendlies thereby eliminating most travel costs, registration red-tape, and trying to crowbar fixtures into a ridiculously short time window. Teams like Redruth having to go to Kent was pretty daft before but now its just plain ridiculous.

Over half of the Premier League fixtures have been a farce with the likes of Exeter fielding weak teams and getting hammered, then putting out their front line men and crushing someone else. Nobody wants to pay to watch that. Easily the best matches on TV recently were Leinster v Saracens and Exeter v Toulouse and they were one-off straight knockouts,

*Stalwart 07 October, 2020 12:24
Agree entirely Steve. We could have friendlies against Reds, Launceston and Plymouth Albion. Home and away would give us a few games which would attract big crowds (although there'd have to be distancing) and bring in some much needed revenue. Pirates Ams could have games against Hayle, St.Ives, Camborne etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2020 12:25 by *Stalwart.

1spy 07 October, 2020 13:59
Why not put the games on Pirates TV and ask for donations from the viewers.

*Stalwart 07 October, 2020 16:57
I guess it's a question of viability. Would it be possible to generate enough income to make it work?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net