Latest news:

Coach travel to away games
Discussion started by Cliff Bennett (IP Logged), 03 August, 2016 07:44
CharlieBravo
Cliff Bennett
03 August, 2016 07:44
Can I ask for some response from supporters, please, to help to answer a question which the Supporters' Club committee discussed at some length last night?
We are looking to organise a coach for travel to away games. In principle, that means every away game, whether it's local, as in Moseley, or distant, as in Plymouth.
Inevitably one of the heavily influencing factors will be the support which we get, in terms of the numbers of supporters who want to travel by coach, and therefore the cost to each supporter.
The question we'd like to ask is - would you commit to traveling to an away game on a Supporters' Club coach?
I appreciate that the response can only give us a straw poll indication at best, but we need to know how supporters feel about the prospect of a coach being laid on for each away game.
Many thanks in advance.

Mikey C
Mikey C
03 August, 2016 08:10
Hi Cliffe. I can't commit to many but speaking with Janette and our group there is definite interest. Like me most couldn't commit to every away game but certainly some. It's a hard task as if further a field people may want to stay over.

CharlieBravo
Cliff Bennett
03 August, 2016 09:00
Understood, Mikey, and thanks for your response. Inevitably there will be implications such as making a weekend away of it, committing to the future, etc, but I very much hope the supporters will respond like you and help us towards making a decision and commitment.

Alinta
Alinta
03 August, 2016 09:34
Cliff,
From my perspective if the coach journey is circa 2 hours or less in each direction then I will most certainly travel on the coach, for longer trips I am most likely to go by car as I would then make a weekend of the trip and stay overnight.

CharlieBravo
Cliff Bennett
03 August, 2016 09:38
It's my guess that a lot of supporters would side with you on that, Alinta, but it would be good to have a broad response.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
03 August, 2016 09:59
Cliff, last season when traveling away (5 occasions) i used the coach on all but one game which was Wharfdale, only because i decided to stay up there for a weeks holiday.

For the coming season i plan to travel by coach to the following:
Moseley
Macclesfield
Hartpury
Cambridge
OA
LS

Provisional:
Esher

The following away games:
Ampthill
RP
Fylde
P Albion

All coincide with England internationals so i very much doubt that i will attend these.

Phil Reynolds

Tip
Tip
03 August, 2016 10:43
Cliff I hope/wish to go to some away games this season but very much on an ad-hoc basis so unfortunately cannot commit to any specific dates.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick
03 August, 2016 11:15
First of all, I am very unlikely to commit to any travel arrangements to any away match until about two weeks before. However I treat those commitments as firm.

Working upwards in terms of distance (miles, below), my views are as follows

Moseley (19) - will use car. Coach is too much bother for so short a trip.
Loughborough (38) - as Birmingham Moseley

Ampthill (55) - 50:50 depending on other plans
Hartpury (71) - As Ampthill
Old Albanian (75)- As Ampthill
Cambridge (81)- As Ampthill (possibly unavailabkle anyway)
Macclesfield (90) - As Ampthill

Rosslyn Park - (108) - Unlikely as I tend to take weekend in London
Esher - (110) - as Rosslyn Park
Blackheath (119) - as Rosslyn Park

Hull (129) Quite ljkely unless I stay with a local friend

Fylde (146) - likely to stay for whole weekend.

DMP (174) - Too far for coach in one day to be enjoyable

Blaydon (207) - Too far for coach in one day to be legal / practical (and unavailable anyway).
Plymouth (217) - Too far for coach in one day to be legal / practical.

The last two items are as the drivers working (not driving ) hours are legally limited to 13 hours. As, in effect one hour is added to the time we use them to get the bus to and from the BPA, that leave twelve hours for the round trip and time at the ground. In practice that means a four hour journey including a service area break is the absolute maximum that they can do.

CharlieBravo
Cliff Bennett
03 August, 2016 12:22
Phil, Tip and Nick - thanks very much for your response. That's precisely the sort of information we were looking for and will, unquestionably, help us in our deliberations.
Can I encourage other supporters to respond similarly, please? There has been a lot of supporters who have read this thread but haven't responded but please don't think you'd be wasting our time - we need all the relevant information and responses we can get..

MESSAGES->author
Peter Redhead
03 August, 2016 15:32
Jacky and I will always use the coach unless making a long weekend of it. As discussed last night all coaches hired hopefully will have toilet facilities.

MESSAGES->author
fordy69uk
03 August, 2016 18:35
If there is a coach i will more than likely use it, i have done for the past few seasons, there's the odd game i won't, Mose i'll probably make a day of it and go into Brum first for a few and Fylde, i normally make a weekend out of it, plus sometimes i actually do other things instead of watching rugby, those weekends are a rarity though i must say!

MESSAGES->author
Bono546
03 August, 2016 19:38
Darlington, Fylde, Plymouth, Blaydon and Hull are likely to be weekends away the others we would probably use the coach but not Moseley as have wedding reception to go to and wedding on November 12th Ampthill away.

rugbyfann
rugbyfann
04 August, 2016 12:47
Nick knows more about coach travel than me but I am surprised at the point he makes about the Blaydon and Plymouth coach trips. I have been on specific rugby coaches to attend games in both towns and only one coach driver for the complete journeys.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie
04 August, 2016 20:39
Both myself and wifey are interested in travelling on the coach. Like others have stated, we can't really commit to many specific matches till nearer the time, and would probably go to matches about 100-ish miles/couple of hours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net