Latest news:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fixture list
Discussion started by Cliff Bennett (IP Logged), 08 July, 2019 15:38
Coventry Rugby Supporters Club
Cliff Bennett
08 July, 2019 15:38
I've just been copying the dates in to my diary/calendar/iPad and have noticed a couple of strange things which I could contact the club about but they're fairly trivial so I don't want to bother them unnecessarily. Perhaps someone could enlighten me...Ö..?

1, why is the home game against ETF on Friday 4th October rather than the usual Saturday?

2, why is the home game against Nottingham on the 21st December scheduled for kick-off at 5.30 pm instead of the usual 3.00 pm?

3, Presumably London Scottish haven't clarified/made up their minds yet whether the game against us scheduled for the weekend of 10th-12th April will be on the Friday, the Saturday or the Sunday.

Confused of Four Oaks.

Alinta
Alinta
08 July, 2019 19:17
Cliff,
As I understand it the rugby club are just trying something different regarding the cup game vs Ealing, hence the Friday night fixture. Will be interesting to see if it's successful or not in terms of attendance. It certainly won't be easy for Ealing having to travel on a Friday afternoon, so maybe there's an additional advantage for Coventry.

The home game vs Nottingham has been moved to 5.30pm as its the last shopping Saturday prior to Christmas, so it gives those unfortunates who are dragged out by their 'Significant Others' for said shopping, the opportunity to still see the game.

Can't comment on London Scottish, but the away game vs Newcastle is confirmed for the Sunday.

Hope this helps.

CharlieBravo
Cliff Bennett
08 July, 2019 19:50
Thanks Alinta. I was half way towards coming to those conclusions but itís good to have something from someone whoís close to the club.

A little less confused from Four Oaks.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
10 July, 2019 19:01
I'm a little miffed by the changed KOs tbh.
I'm wondering if it was worth renewing my ST after all, with these two rearranged dates looking difficult, and taking into account I usually miss one or two others due to various unavoidable reasons, I'd probably be better off picking and choosing.
Still, too late now. The club have changed their Saturday 3pm policy after having banked a chunk of my pension.
Hard luck me, it seems.

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef?
10 July, 2019 19:34
Must admit Iím looking forward to the 5:30 kick off just before Xmas, bringing old school mates who live away but back for Xmas ( plus maybe kids) and making a night of it! (Having offloaded kids)

Evening games are always a bit special especially that time of year

covmick1/Michael Carter
covmick1/Michael Carter
10 July, 2019 21:23
The Saturday before Christmas is also into the party season. If one has to travel away from Coventry, People would be averse from drinking during the day. The club could lose out on this venture. I am also surprised that BPA has no events on for that evening.

covmick/Michael Carter

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef?
10 July, 2019 21:51
I think theyíll gain as many as they lose. Weíve got 5 months notice! Nice opportunity to bring people along who donít normally get to come

CharlieBravo
Cliff Bennett
11 July, 2019 05:49
Whilst I accept the reasoning behind the clubís thinking, Iím not sure I understand why there has been no communication from the club to either explain or to seek reaction/opinion from its supporters.

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef?
11 July, 2019 06:39
Because people will vote with their pockets? Also I suspect any consultation would be with the crsc which only represents a small proportion of the fan base and a limited demographic. As a one off Christmas special Iím liking it

Chris Wearmouth
Chris Wearmouth
11 July, 2019 08:41
Quote:
AdminBTCov
I'm a little miffed by the changed KOs tbh.
I'm wondering if it was worth renewing my ST after all, with these two rearranged dates looking difficult, and taking into account I usually miss one or two others due to various unavoidable reasons, I'd probably be better off picking and choosing.
Still, too late now. The club have changed their Saturday 3pm policy after having banked a chunk of my pension.
Hard luck me, it seems.

We appreciate any disappointment. However out of 14 home games there is only the one date which is not a Saturday, which is the Ealing Cup game in September.

Having this on a Friday night both gives us a chance to try out a Friday night at BPA while the weather will (hopefully) still be warm, and then also a full week of prep before the league season starts the following Saturday.

As has been said elsewhere, the 5:30pm kick off against Nottingham means that supporters can still make the most of the final shopping Saturday before Christmas, and then we can look to have a Christmas party in the bars afterwards.

As a club it remains our preference to have 3pm on Saturday afternoons for our home games.

CharlieBravo
Cliff Bennett
11 July, 2019 08:55
Appreciate your comments, Chris, most particularly because they represent the clubís, but is it not reasonable to ask why the thoughts behind these changes were not communicated to the supporters?
As for BTRís comments:-
1, many supporters have already bought their STís, so itís too late to vote with your pocket
2, it would appear that there has not been any consultation with CRSC because CRSC not been in communication with its members

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
11 July, 2019 08:58
Thanks for your response Chris, and I DO understand the club's reasoning.
However, the 5.30 may make it impossible for me (as may the Friday evening).
Good luck with it though, but please think long and hard in the future. It may be a case of 'gaining as many as you lose', but can you be sure those 'gains' will be sustained?
Personally, I have my doubts.

Edit: What Cliff said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 08:59 by AdminBTCov.

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef?
11 July, 2019 09:57
I understand where you are coming from, Iím also an ST holder so have already purchased. However weíre talking about a sub set of a subset. What % of the crowd usually are ST holders? Of those how many canít do a one off evening game? I get that we have fewer home fixtures than say football teams, but the % of midweek, evening and Sundays games is much much higher.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
11 July, 2019 13:22
One of the reasons I don't do the Sky Blues any more (or very rarely). And one of the reasons I've been a Cov ST holder for many years too.
Saturday, 3pm.
Anyway, done to death. Moving on...

Duckham walked on water
Duckham walked on water
11 July, 2019 14:52
Club is a business and good to see ideas being tried out.
And console yourself that it's not to the same extent as the season when Green moved all home fixtures to Friday evening...

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
11 July, 2019 16:25
Which was a failure (and didn't affect my attendance then anyway for a couple of reasons).

Duckham walked on water
Duckham walked on water
11 July, 2019 19:56
...It did me - I live in Berkshire!

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
11 July, 2019 21:49
I lived within walking distance at the time. Not now though.

MESSAGES->author
Bono546
12 July, 2019 10:14
The Friday nights were cold and unsociable. All I remember from those dark days is freezing beer and losing

Bag Inton
Ken I L Worth
12 July, 2019 10:26
Just to add one thing into the Friday before Xmas discussion. There is a home game at the Ricoh (v Quins) on Saturday afternoon before Xmas which has become a bit of a razzamatazz Santa and fireworks affair (with big crowds in recent years 31k v Bath, 26k v Gloucester, 26k v Bath....) at a rough guess the club wouldn't want to try and go head to head against it.

Chris Wearmouth
Chris Wearmouth
12 July, 2019 11:02
Quote:
BackTenRef?
I understand where you are coming from, Iím also an ST holder so have already purchased. However weíre talking about a sub set of a subset. What % of the crowd usually are ST holders? Of those how many canít do a one off evening game? I get that we have fewer home fixtures than say football teams, but the % of midweek, evening and Sundays games is much much higher.

Last year we averaged out that 25% of the crowd was made up of Season Ticket Holders

Chris Wearmouth
Chris Wearmouth
12 July, 2019 11:04
Quote:
Bono546
The Friday nights were cold and unsociable. All I remember from those dark days is freezing beer and losing

Which is why we're making it a Friday in September this time!

Chris Wearmouth
Chris Wearmouth
12 July, 2019 11:18
Quote:
Ken I L Worth
Just to add one thing into the Friday before Xmas discussion. There is a home game at the Ricoh (v Quins) on Saturday afternoon before Xmas which has become a bit of a razzamatazz Santa and fireworks affair (with big crowds in recent years 31k v Bath, 26k v Gloucester, 26k v Bath....) at a rough guess the club wouldn't want to try and go head to head against it.

As it happens our Xmas fixture was confirmed before the Premiership one up the road. Will make for an interesting few months to build up to it! We know that we have a distinctly different experience here at BPA than Wasps do at the Ricoh, and we'll make sure that we put on a decent party ourselves!

CovBlueLou
CovBlueLou
12 July, 2019 13:22
Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
Ken I L Worth

As it happens our Xmas fixture was confirmed before the Premiership one up the road. Will make for an interesting few months to build up to it! We know that we have a distinctly different experience here at BPA than Wasps do at the Ricoh, and we'll make sure that we put on a decent party ourselves!

Iím sure Chris and others at the club know Wasps will get their one big attendance for the date but Iím confident the club can get it right and get a bigger than normal crowd up the BPA, us fans have to play a a part as well, Iím forever dragging people up the BPA who without fail enjoy the day (bar queues and organisation being the only constant gripe over the last few years), already I know a few Coventrians that now live outside of Cov that are back up Xmas have pencilled this game in over Wasps including a couple who have been to this fixture at CV6 over the past few years.

The Wasps Ďnoveltyí is wearing off for people, hopefully Cov can grab hold of the floating fans in the long run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 13:22 by CovBlueLou.

CovBlueLou
CovBlueLou
12 July, 2019 13:26
Chris- one other thought, I was just wondering if the club have thought about something like Ďbring a friend for a fiverí for season ticket holders.
Maybe an offer for one of the cup games (whilst the season is still early) or a January league fixture where cash may be a little tight for some?

Just a thought, Iíve received these types of offer as both Coventry City season ticket holder and Warwickshire CCC member over the years and always used them to try and hook others in the long run.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net