Latest news:

April fools day at world rugby
Discussion started by bigm/ mark harrison. (IP Logged), 09 August, 2019 06:50
captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
09 August, 2019 06:50
World rugby has announced they will be trialling tackles at waist and below only , with the possibility of the next world cup including this enormous rule change.
We all experienced the trial in the cup last year, which was inconsistent to say the least. Of course nobody wants peoples lives ruined with head injuries, although its far easier to officiate waist and below.The practicalities playing the game are horrendous. Why not have anybody jumping/lifting in the lineout, uncontested scrums etc. Good intention but this law change would destroy our game.

Alinta
Alinta
09 August, 2019 14:05
Mark,
It's more than just head injuries and the governing bodies have to take action otherwise it will be done for them by lawyers, legal suits and the courts. The speed and size of players are now making impacts to the chest and upper body a real concern for World Rugby. Indeed, some of the chest injuries being seen are the same as car crashes prior to the introduction of seat belts and airbags. See the attached link, in France alone 4 players died in just 8 months and then there are those players across the sport who have sustained life changing injuries as well. World Rugby has to change, before someone changes world rugby.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef?
09 August, 2019 16:03
Sorry but these changes are a domino effect. Bring back proper mauls and rucks and slow the game a tad

HoboAl
HoboAl
09 August, 2019 20:34
I read when the front row set at each scrum it is the equivalent of being in a 20 to 30 mph car shunt.

Its a bit like fast bowlers in cricket when they land on their leading foot when delivering the ball; the equivalent of over four times their body weight goes through the leg and foot.

Sports science is building huge athletes with tremendous explosive power and nothing like it was back in the day!

Personally I respect the attempts to improve players safety.

captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
10 August, 2019 07:43
My concern is that these rule changes will be passed down to the lower leagues, where the problems are so different. Serious injuries in sport have always been around, however there is more knowledge and awareness, as well as research around the world. I recall over 40 years ago , a teacher at bablake who had a serious brain injury due to a scrummaging accident. How many times over time have we seen continual resetting of scrums, which continually increases risk. We changed the rule in the lineout, to allow lifting..now players get taken out higher up....unopposed lineouts...rolling mauls3/4 layers of players protecting the ball, players coming out and returning into the maul.Yet one player crosses in front of the ball carrier and thats obstruction....We could end up totally deconstructing our game....yet the rfu takes no action against leeds and the terrible medical bills players are left with.

HoboAl
HoboAl
10 August, 2019 09:34
Mark agree on your last point re RFU...continuing to fund Leeds to wash rinse and repeat their wreckless management style.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick
10 August, 2019 09:43
Mark,
The outstanding medical bills were all cleared last week by an anonymous donor.
I suspect that was planned all along - it would have been illegal for the club to make the medical supplier a preferred creditor by paying them 100% while only paying an overall 15%.! However once the CVA was agreed a separate payment from Ďanotherí donor doesnít break the terms of the CVA.

HoboAl
HoboAl
10 August, 2019 11:20
Quote:
OldNick
Mark,
The outstanding medical bills were all cleared last week by an anonymous donor.
I suspect that was planned all along - it would have been illegal for the club to make the medical supplier a preferred creditor by paying them 100% while only paying an overall 15%.! However once the CVA was agreed a separate payment from Ďanotherí donor doesnít break the terms of the CVA.

It doesnt matter there are still poeple just getting 15 per cent of what they are owed. What about the players who they gave contracts to and them cancelled them? Their whole management style has been reckless and now they are trying to poach a playing squad from other teams. They spent alot of money last year to avoid relegation, money they clearly didnt have and I dont really see any guarantee they can fulfill their commitments this year?

Wrenmore
Leo
10 August, 2019 15:19
Two points Firstly four players lost their lives playing the sport they and we love in France last year. Secondly these changes are experimental only.

The game will evolve, it always has. It's a different game than when I played. The safety of our young warriors is paramount for their sake and the future of the the sport. These experiments appear to be a little extreme to us at the moment. I feel a "watered down" versions will filter through to actual law changes.

Difficult to see how waist high tackling is going to work for a 6'7" hairy @rsed second rower on a 5'10" scrum half ......................or the other way round for that matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 15:23 by Leo.

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef?
11 August, 2019 08:32
The chop tackle needs looking at first imho. Players going so low they risk being kicked in the head. Rugby is a contact sport, injury will always be a risk. In 1998 a British school player was killed on tour in Aus by a legal tackle to the sternum which stopped his heart. It was a 1/million chance. Point is you develop rules that encourage safe technique, but there is a risk in any contact sport.

Rugby can ( and does) learn a lot from American football, where their culture of legal action has forced a response. Limiting contact in training, enforcing protective equipment for young players and even having weight based competition rather than age group for under 18s. This means that when players reach senior levels they donít already have underlying injury/damage to increase their risk factors.

Making all tackles below waist will I fear make the game faster, and further increase the risk, just as changing the rules around rucking has increased the number of tackles noticeably, especially in the centres

HoboAl
HoboAl
11 August, 2019 09:36
Back TenRef? I am not sure the chop tackle is the issue from research so far? My understanding from admittedly limited information I have seen, is repeated brain shake. This occurs more from chest to chest contact rather than a kick to the head. Or at the setting of the scrum.

Teams need to and are monitoring this in training and how contact in training is managed will be key. Also how refs manage scrums to avoid constant resets and players have a responsibility there too.

It is a contact sport so there will always be risks but it is about how the risk can be managed and reduced.

And you are right all aspect need looking at, rucks mauls and what brings about contact and the type of contact.

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef?
11 August, 2019 17:13
The chop tackle has, as I understand lead to two people being paralysed at least

HoboAl
HoboAl
12 August, 2019 16:05
Quote:
BackTenRef?
The chop tackle has, as I understand lead to two people being paralysed at least

Part of the problem is not having the full information - does anyone. But I would still support moves to improve players safety as long as it is thoroughly researched.

For me it could be a case of freak tragic accidents (that are still low risk) v multiple daily incidents that dont show any dangers but are a ticking time bomb in the future.

The only way is comprehensive studies which include game time and training. But lets face it nobody likes form filling and returning stats in any profession. Hence the lack of stats on grass v artificial pitch injuries.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net