Current Page: 3 of 3
MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
17 January, 2020 18:26
Quote:
HoboAl
Quote:
Moosemagic
Interesting comments on here regarding Tony Fenner, according to the Rugby paper he was our MOM and they scored him 8/10.

According to the Rugby Paper Ratu Bulumakau scored our first try.
Ha. Did well then, playing on crutches!

titchywinger
titchywinger
17 January, 2020 22:41
According to the highlights, superb skill shown by Tony Fenner in the lead up to the Andy Bulumakau try.

HoboAl
HoboAl
18 January, 2020 08:21
Perhaps we need to remember that Rory Jennings has only just turned 24 so only months rather than years older than Dan Lewis 23.

Both are very good players with the prospect of becoming excellent players in a Coventry shirt. Fenner perhaps deserves a few games at 10 before we judge.

This sort of competion for the shirt is also what Will Maisey needs to develop further at this level. I would rather see us develop a couple of 10's over the next few years rather than go out and acquire the finished article.

Johnflinn
NOM
18 January, 2020 08:59
100% agree that we should develop our own but they do need meaningful game time - playing games is where experience and skill is best gained. Keeping a large squad happy is the toughest challenge for DoR/Head Coach.

On the age point - how old is old enough? Is this not a dated argument given most talented lads were in professional academies from 14/15 years old (Jennings-Bath, Flinn-Chiefs/Bath, Russell-Tigers etc etc). Players now 22-24 have had 8 -10 years in the professional pathway so surely they can only progress further with meaningful game time?

I appreciate this point then polarises the discussion - ‘Champ experienced squad today vs Prem ready squad for tomorrow’ #

#caveat that if Saracens come down - tomorrow can wait a further year smiling smiley.

HoboAl
HoboAl
18 January, 2020 09:10
Agree they need gametime. But they only get that if fans don't keep hankering after someone better in that position or the expectation of promotion in three years. 'Premiership ready' and promoted are not the samething in my book.

Johnflinn
NOM
18 January, 2020 09:33
Agree there is a clear distinction between promotion and ready. It then becomes chicken and egg - results today with ‘older’ players that have a less room to grow/time to contribute or invest game time in ‘younger’ players with more growing room/time to give.

Can anyone recall the ages of the Cov players from the halcyon days that ended up with several internationals - my club history does not stretch back that far but I suspect they weren’t waiting for 1st xv games until they were 25/26?

More recent examples (Chiefs and Sarries) suggest long term success on the field requires a less ‘ageist’ selection policy.

HoboAl
HoboAl
18 January, 2020 10:09
A bit apples and pears. Years ago most players were one club players or at least played for clubs in a certain area. Now professional cash driven rugby means players move from club to club even country to country.

There is the good and the bad in both worlds. There is an argument for if you are good enough you are old enough. However just because one player is ready at 18, 20 or 22 doesn't mean all players will be.

Johnflinn
NOM
18 January, 2020 10:32
Fair point - how about a more recent example. Ampthill home before Xmas compared to last week. 5 younger lads in Cup game and produced what one poster described as the best rugby seen in the BPA era - 6 weeks later no younger players starting (1 on bench I think) and we know what happened.

Hardly empirical evidence (cup vs league, home vs away but the results against pretty much the same side speak for themselves). To answer your point about age/readiness in my opinion these boys are ready. It would be good to see them get a chance rather than replacements brought in for Purdy and Stokes.

A lot of hot air from me for a Saturday morning and for all that I am looking forward to watching TF and the team today and making amends for last week!

HoboAl
HoboAl
18 January, 2020 11:39
I too am looking forward to todays game. I think we will go with what we have got until the end of the season and players will get their chance. Dan Lewis recently said to me "I havent played at that many clubs, but it is the only club, when coaches say if you train hard and do well on loan you will get a chance in the first team - and they mean it."

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net