CovBlueLou
CovBlueLou
11 January, 2020 15:48
Lost 19-17......
Last kick penalty

GetxoGreg
GetxoGreg
11 January, 2020 16:03
Was listening to the commentary from my home in Scotland. Is it correct that we LOST a scrum on OUR OWN put in, which Ampthill then used to get up the field for Cov to offend and give them the last kick penalty and win? Very poor game management if so.

abdabs99rugby
abdabs
11 January, 2020 16:59
Afraid so. Then penalty for taking man out in line out. Officials very poor today. Ref stopped play when we were attacking for injury that was nowhere near play. Gave the scrum that led to penalty!. Very disappointing day.

HoboAl
HoboAl
11 January, 2020 17:19
Quote:
GetxoGreg
Was listening to the commentary from my home in Scotland. Is it correct that we LOST a scrum on OUR OWN put in, which Ampthill then used to get up the field for Cov to offend and give them the last kick penalty and win? Very poor game management if so.

Yes and about the only scrium we lost.

captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
11 January, 2020 18:54
There was a very disappointed cov fan in radford today , my grandson Bret was due to go to his first away game unfortunately he went down with tonsilitis and an ear infection overnight. Actually he was very fortunate to miss the worst performance of this season.
This match took place at the most hated ground by cov supporters , a magnet to poor perfomances over recent years.. One flowing try during the first 20 minutes the best of what Cov offered today. Repeated coughing up of possession in contact , continually holding onto the ball and getting penalised ,Purdey 3/4 times on his own alone. When you go to Ampthill you know what to expect apart from the opening game of the season, where they were still in preseason mode. They offered up an arm wrestling match , so instead of bobbing and weaving and using the skills cov have we went toe to toe. An odd selection backfired by the coaches. The inability to shut a game down yet again raised its head with a 2 man advantage around 60/65 mins. There was no MOM to be talked of. The top ref was found to be lacking with his interpretations especially a penalty try not given 12 /15 metres out.
So the xmas /new year lull was far more beneficial to the team with a far lower budget than ours, fewer training hours,thousands fewer supporters, portaloos and an old style splash back mens toilet etc etc etc. All to nowt... the hotchpot team continued their remarkable perfomances and improvements from such a low ebb in sept. I wait for the results of the inquest.

Johnflinn
NOM
11 January, 2020 19:13
An interesting comment bigm ”An odd selection backfired by the coaches.“

What was odd about the selection? We put 60+ on a similar Ampthill side with a number of our ‘junior’ players (Trinder, Flinn, Lewis etc) so the selection looked ok on paper.

I wasn’t at the game so interested to hear where the game management fell down - especially against 13/14 men.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
11 January, 2020 19:31
Quote:
NOM
An interesting comment bigm ”An odd selection backfired by the coaches.“
What was odd about the selection? We put 60+ on a similar Ampthill side with a number of our ‘junior’ players (Trinder, Flinn, Lewis etc) so the selection looked ok on paper.

I wasn’t at the game so interested to hear where the game management fell down - especially against 13/14 men.
A will to win, not taking the opponents for granted, sticking the ball up your Jersey with a few minutes to go and seeing out a win, losing your own scrum to concede a winning penalty, not playing an expansive game against 13 men, the list goes on, for sure Sir was poor, but AMPTHILL seemed to play him where we couldn't, to be honest it frustrates the @#$%& out of me why we fail to beat these teams. No disrespect to the A's but ffs don't gift them the win, which is exactly what we did today.
We are Cov Rugby, sometimes the players need to step up with some bottle, unfortunately today that bottle was plastic and weak.

Phil Reynolds

Rob C
Rob C
11 January, 2020 19:56
Well, that was a day to forget... Horrible ground, unpleasant supporters and the most one sided refereeing performance I can remember in recent years.
On the latter point it's possible that we infringed at virtually every break down but quite how I couldn't see.
I have to disagree with some posts that suggest we should have been more expansive. I thought, for the most part, we threw the ball round like a hot potato instead of showing the conditions a bit more respect...

John Butler
John Butler
11 January, 2020 20:35
Interesting variation of comments.
Cov lost, Ampthill did not win the game.
We were commentating high up on that gantry. One of the toughest from a conditions point of view I can remember - howling gale, papers blowing everywhere.
Having said all that, Cov could not clinch it when up against 13 & as Rowland said on interview, we ultimately got what was deserved.
As for that scrum which led up to the final line out & penalty, my reading of it was that Ampthill simply went for a big shove, the Cov scrum for the only time creaked, gave away the penalty & the rest is history.
To me though, it cried out for a simple, short passing game in those conditions, not a day for long passes.
And you cannot get away from the kicking facts - Grimoldby 14 points Cov 2.
Not a day to remember with any relish.
Oh & as to the comment of Dean Richards blew when Cov were attacking. Play had moved across field, yes, Cov were unlucky, but play was heading straight towards the prone player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 20:37 by John Butler.

Paul Ingleston
Paul Ingleston
11 January, 2020 20:40
Mark

Whilst understanding your obvious disappointment on such a disappointing result, I feel a few of your comments have to be addressed. Your ‘ top ref’ was not the ‘ top ref’ you obviously thought it was. The scheduled Premiership referee, Matthew Carley , was a late substitute for Nigel Owens somewhere. I do not know who today’s referee was, no information available pitchside, no PA, not even semaphore, but you have to accept this at Ampthill and wait for TRP tomorrow to find out, not acceptable I know, but something you have to accept.
Cov lost a game they should have won , lost owing to their own inefficiencies, not helped by Sir’s interpretations.
I hope you would have been able to hear Rowland’s views of the game on the Supporters Coach, post match. As we have come to expect from Rowland, no holds barred, candid and forthright. The applause afterwards was as you would expect for a no holds barred appraisal.
I hope that Rowland repeated his views in his post-match interviews with Chris Wearmouth and that Chris posts these comment.
It wasn’t a happy afternoon for any Cov supporter. However, if you think back to recent years and displays such as at Esher, Rosslyn Park and Blackheath on more than one occasion, we are not in such a bad place are we?

Paul

John Butler
John Butler
11 January, 2020 20:49
Paul. Yes, referee was Dean Richards, Matt Carley had been called up as a replacement for the injured Nigel Owens in Europe.
I can assure you, as anyone who heard it will surely agree, his interview post match was as always honest & candid.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick
11 January, 2020 20:53
I have to disagree with your final point (in the 2035 post) there John. Play was going laterally across field, away from or downed player on our side and was passing a good 10m behind the downed player on the ‘stand side. Had it gone 45 degrees forward instead it would have gone near that player and medics treating him in the ground.

When we were talking after the game, you commented on the quality of the Ampthill defence in the last 5m. One thing that was very obvious from down near the touch line was that the AR on our side of the pitch was repeatedly and loudly reprimanding their backs for starting ahead of the try line, and going early - but at no pint were the penalised for this. When it means that they were hitting the Cov 9-10-12 line before the ball was reaching them, this was not good defence, it was blatant law breaking, and it was being noted by one official at least, but not acted on.

In other respects though, yes, we gave away far too many penalties at the breakdown, and we failed to complete attacks. Add this to first half kicking which did not cope with the conditions, and a two point lead at half time was never going to be enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 20:56 by OldNick.

Paul Ingleston
Paul Ingleston
11 January, 2020 20:54
Ah John, Dean Richards. ‘Nuff said. Thanks John. Further comments not forthcoming!!

Johnflinn
NOM
11 January, 2020 20:59
Please could someone who heard RWs post match comments paraphrase?

John Butler
John Butler
11 January, 2020 21:01
Fair comments Nick. The angle we saw it from was probably less clear than from where you saw it.
As to the comments re their defence, yes, I agree, but as is always the case, you get away with what you are allowed to & as Paul will surely agree it was Mr Richards not Carley.
The deliberate knock on I felt at the time was close to a penalty try decision, but ultimately having pondered it, Cov were still some 10 metres out.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick
11 January, 2020 21:13
Quote:
NOM
Please could someone who heard RWs post match comments paraphrase?

The short version.

Our fault for not sticking to the game plan, and letting it get too loose.

Johnflinn
NOM
11 January, 2020 21:27
Thanks Old Nick - must be frustrating for the coaches as the last quarter focus, or lack of, seems to be a recurring theme. Not just losing leads but leaking late tries (cup game vs Amp) and not getting BP (Vs Nott).

Always tempting to get negative after a loss but we continue to progress so perhaps this will come in the next phase of positive progress. Will be interesting to see what the coaches can do to address this.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net