Latest news:

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
11 January, 2020 21:52
paul i had read on the ampthill site only about matt carley nothing about nigel owens. Dean richards is a very experienced and capable official. Covs mistakes in many departments were the cause of their loss. But make no bones about it, the ampthil from sept and today bore no comparison.
Staggered with the light conditions the game was live streamed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 22:07 by bigm/ mark harrison..

captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
11 January, 2020 21:58
its nothing to do with being negative, its not wearing blinkers and losing in THIS GAME ,AT THAT PLACE, AGAINST THAT TEAM,AND THOSE SUPPORTERS.

3274 posts and out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 22:01 by bigm/ mark harrison..

Paul Ingleston
Paul Ingleston
11 January, 2020 22:07
Mark, I will agree that Ampthill are very different to the team from September, but I still say they were greatly helped by a , shall I say, a less than impressive display by Mr Richards. In the second half, the rolling maul was pulled down by the Amps pack whilst in reverse gear, nothing resulted and Ryan Burrows definitely touched down from close range, only to be denied by the input from the AR on the hillside side.
Cov should have won this game and will be kicking themselves they did not. This was Ampthillís Cup Final today, but I still say they will still be looking down , rather than up for the rest of the season.
Bedford and Hartpury seem to be starting to get it together, with the Carnegie disaster the only safety net. If Phil Davies gets them moving , could be interesting.
Meanwhile, letís move forward and target Scottish for another win with massive hope and, more importantly, support.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
11 January, 2020 22:18
I feel Mark's passion, my dry January came to an abrupt end!!!
But joking aside and trying to understand today's game, I will raise a few points.
In the first half, their 10 who had a very good game, was to all intense and purpose knocked out in a hit, "he was out before he hit the ground " was the general consensus, his automatic body language on the floor seemed to indicate this. When talking about player safety, he returned to the field of play, if he was unconscious how was this allowed to happen?
Secondly we have some very experienced players in our team, of premiership standard, indeed I thought that Ryan B and Luke W were the pick of the bunch, having said that why is this experience not being used to kill out games with a few minutes to go? Let's be honest this game was won until we gifted it to Ampthill.
Finally RW came on the CRSC bus after the game to apologise for the performance, as usual he was honest and candid and said it was not acceptable or good enough.
I am sure the players will get the same message next week.
As far as AMPTHILL supporters, to he frank, for them it was a massive scalp and their celebrating was well deserved as long as it fell with in the realms of Rugby brotherhood.

Phil Reynolds

poplarside
poplarside
11 January, 2020 22:32
Didn't go today but went to Ampthill once on Cov's first ever visit. My experience of the fans was of a small, welcoming bunch who were quite modest in the victory they obviously enjoyed that day. When Cov put 64 on them at BPA this season in the cup they didn't look up for it much. On their own patch in a league game is a tougher proposition.

HoboAl
HoboAl
12 January, 2020 09:08
The most telling difference between the two teams was Grimoldby. Fenner and Jennings kicked and it was the conditions are difficult. Grimoldby kicked and from some difficult positions and it was like there is no swirling wind. An impressive display by him.

Coventry dominated but failed to cash in. Ampthill were as one dimension, spoiling and difficult as I predicted and wasnt suprised they beat us by a couple of points. It is what they do to teams at Ampthill.

Now that final kick. The Coventry fans fell to a hush and watched their own fate unfold. But last year I was at Ampthill and Rosslyn Park had the last kick penalty to win. Greeted by booing from a significant number of Ampthill fans he missed.

Poor performance or not I know which club I would rather support.

Rob C
Rob C
12 January, 2020 09:52
With regard to the stoppage in play due to the prone Ampthill player - the AR took the time to come over to us for a chat and explain that officials have been told to err on the side of caution due to an incident where a member of the medical staff was injured.
I'm not so sure about Ampthill's improvement other than an uncanny ability to be awarded penalties. In open play they offered little more than in the game at BPA, the difference yesterday being Cov's inability to adapt to the conditions or the ref.

John Butler
John Butler
12 January, 2020 10:09
Nobody has mentioned the very unlucky Andy Bulumakau, who was helped off with what looked like a very painful shoulder.
I have not heard any confirmation as to what exactly was the extent of his injury

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
12 January, 2020 12:45
As with Plymouth Albion under Graham Dawes, Ampthillís style of play under Paul Turner is desperately boring, uninspiring, lacking in flair, creativity and invention, and very unrewarding to watch. But then heís always got his team to play that way, whichever club heís managed.
What made the whole experience yesterday even worse was when Rory Jennings came onto the Supportersí Club coach. In my opinion it was flippant to say the least, and offensive and insulting at worst. There were only a handful of supporters on the coach at the time, and other than the three of us sitting at the front I doubt that the supporters were aware he was there. He said very few words and disappeared as quickly as heíd come. Those of us who witnessed his inept and rather pathetic little (very little) speech were not in the least bit enamoured or mollified. If anything, our feelings of severe discontent, bordering on anger, were increased.
To his enormous credit, Rowland came onto the coach when it was full and effectively apologised for Roryís inadequate offering, and went on to give an extremely honest and forthright assessment of the game, the playersí attitude, and the game plan. Everything which we had noticed and commented on during the course of the game, he clearly had also noticed and was, as ever, refreshingly frank in his comments.
However, I bet you could have cut the air with a knife on the team bus on the way home.
You can only hope for an overwhelming backlash again LS at BPA next Saturday.

Nige H
Nige H
12 January, 2020 13:35
Hi.. I couldnít get to the game, but was wondering why fenner was chosen at fly half over Jennings and Maisey? Was will injured?

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
12 January, 2020 14:15
No Nige, neither were injured. Jennings came on as a sub, but Will was not selected in the squad. Nobody knows why Fenner was at fly half. It unquestionably did not work.

John Butler
John Butler
12 January, 2020 14:17
Pre match, I did see Will in his tracksuit on the pitch, as was Halafonua.

Nige H
Nige H
12 January, 2020 17:41
Hmmm ok..
Seems like an odd choice when weíve got 2 fly halfís playing perfectly well.. to the select fenner as the starting fly half. Love him as a player, but why go with the person whoís arguably 3rd choice at a ground we know is hard to win at.

HoboAl
HoboAl
12 January, 2020 18:10
Perhaps Fenner, who has had limited games this year has been putting in a shift in training? Before his injury last year he was arguably our best player. and was doing a good job at fly half away at Bedford when he got injured.

I dont think selection was the issue yesterday. It was the failure to convert good possession into points. That team to a man is better than Ampthill and should not have lost.

Unfortunately we left the backdoor wide open and Grimoldby took every chance he was given in very difficult conditions, while his team mates scuffled for every ball.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie
12 January, 2020 18:45
If two conversion attempts hadnít been missed Cov would have won. I wasnít there so it might not be that simple.

HoboAl
HoboAl
12 January, 2020 19:01
Quote:
Wazeroonie
If two conversion attempts hadnít been missed Cov would have won. I wasnít there so it might not be that simple.

Conditions were very difficult for the kickers. However Grimoldby made difficult kicks look easy in same conditions.

I still think with the amount of possession we had in both halves in their 22, we should have won at a canter and kicking should not have been an issue. We dont seem to know how to really turn the screw and really punish teams. Decision making?

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough
12 January, 2020 19:08
I wasnt there yesterday, thankfully so cannot comment on the performance.

I did make a comment on Twitter that we should not be losing against Ampthill. I have subsequently considered this comment. It may come across as arrogant but I genuinely feel this. As is often the case, it is when we play those teams at the bottom of the league that I am less confident going into games.

I'm not saying any of this was the fault of anyone at FH yesterday, for us to progress in this league, I feel we need a better 10. They both have good points about them and I dont think they're bad players but I have felt this is where we need to recruit both this year and last.
Fenner; I think he is a very good and committed player but not 1st choice 10, in my view.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Straightout
Straightout
13 January, 2020 10:12
Do you not think Jennings is quite good enough Paul? I agree Will and Fenner are not a top 2 champ fly half but Jennings has the pedigree

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
13 January, 2020 11:03
Straight out - I realise youíre asking the question of Paul, but can I add my twopennuth?
Weíve not seen much of Fenner at flyhalf, and Saturday probably proved why. His kickoff to start the game, playing down the hill and with a strong wind, went straight out of play behind the posts. He had been out there in the warm up and had been practicing his kicks and has to have been aware of the strength of the wind, so why did he kickoff the game with such a strong kick? He missed the conversion of Andy Bís try, again because he completely misjudged the wind, and his distribution was poor. He didnít bring the backs into the game, he passed to players who were standing still and as a result there was no generation of pace and commitment from players who should have seen so much more of the action. We hardly saw Henry Purdy, Will Owen, Rob Knox, Max Trimble (other than his interception try), Andy Forsyth (when he came on during the second half). In my opinion, it was certainly not a good day at the office for Tony Fenner, and reinforced my view that he should not be our first choice fly half.
All this is purely my opinion, of course.

Rob C
Rob C
13 January, 2020 12:16
Quote:
Straightout
Do you not think Jennings is quite good enough Paul? I agree Will and Fenner are not a top 2 champ fly half but Jennings has the pedigree

Problem is Jennings is probably our best distributer at 12 as well...

tonker
tonker
13 January, 2020 13:04
fenner perhaps started at 10 for his defensive qualities. amptill like to run their forwards at the fringes time & time again.

Straightout
Straightout
13 January, 2020 13:25
Thanks Cliff and others.. good points made. Jennings is a good defender, hence capable at 12 too and is a good distributor as has been said. He is not the finished article but was Def bought to solve the 10 problem of having a higher class operator there. I canít imagine the club will be looking to get someone else in as he has made a good start too to his career with us. We do lack a top class ball playing 12 so he does get moved across. As a wider debate it is interesting (and disappointing) that we are still not quite good enough to win some games we should really be winning with more comfort. We prob all had a niggling doubt that we may come unstuck on sat even though we had a v strong side on paper. Even with a near prem class backrow and most of our best players in we still canít seem to be sure of beating the likes of ampthill away who letís face it have a much smaller budget than us.. they have done superbly well in their first year and were a junior club a few years ago which makes it sound worse as they are not a big club. Maybe we are 2 or 3 players away still from consistently winning each game we should away. Not sure what position they should be in but I would say a top class 12, Jennings played in his right position and maybe a real enforcer and experienced second row. 13 to is debateable although we all know how good rob Knox could become or maybe Forsyth is the answer there. Stevens is good and solid but not top 2 level probably. We lack an outstanding skilful midfielder I think. To unlock the real potential we have out wide in purdy and Trimble. I expect Us to win all our home games apart from falcons which will be close due to crowd and raising our game. What two or three positions do people think we need improving to stop us waking up feeling gutted that that niggling doubt is realised and we lose to Ampthill (or a jersey etc away)? Maybe itís experience as a team more than new players. And maybe Fenners off day was the diff on Saturday. Jennings isnít the finished article so maybe another year under his belt will give us that real confidence at 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2020 13:36 by Straightout.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
13 January, 2020 13:44
Interesting comments on here regarding Tony Fenner, according to the Rugby paper he was our MOM and they scored him 8/10.

John Butler
John Butler
14 January, 2020 20:20
You can take the player ratings with a pinch of salt, whichever way you want to interpret them. All down as well to the differing views of correspondents as to how they rate players.
Some start with a 5 as a base, others 6 & so on, just ask JW !

HoboAl
HoboAl
17 January, 2020 18:22
Quote:
Moosemagic
Interesting comments on here regarding Tony Fenner, according to the Rugby paper he was our MOM and they scored him 8/10.

According to the Rugby Paper Ratu Bulumakau scored our first try.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net