Latest news:

Relegation for Sarries?
Discussion started by AdminBTCov (IP Logged), 17 January, 2020 00:20
MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
17 January, 2020 00:20
Seriously?
[www.rugbypass.com]
Would require balls to be grown somewhere.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Johnflinn
NOM
17 January, 2020 08:19
This is going to be a big news day and whilst little will focus on the impact on the Championship the ripple effect could be hugely significant for aspirational clubs.

The news this morning is already at fever-pitch and follows a PRL meeting that has just happened. It would appear they are thinking the unthinkable and have given Saracens nowhere to go.....except down.

Rob C
Rob C
17 January, 2020 08:25
I have mixed feelings about this, should it happen.

Having already imposed huge sanctions on Saracens it was, perhaps, a bit naive to expect them to solve the problem overnight...

HoboAl
HoboAl
17 January, 2020 09:34
Quote:
Rob C
I have mixed feelings about this, should it happen.
Having already imposed huge sanctions on Saracens it was, perhaps, a bit naive to expect them to solve the problem overnight...

Haven't they had that opportunity since the salary cap was introduced? The fact they are struggling to get under it, suggests they have been blatantly someway over it? They have known the rules and chose to ignore them and tried to be creative around them. So no I don't have sympathy for a team who were happy to take the glory by cheating.

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
17 January, 2020 10:03
It would appear to be a serious threat to Sarries because itís also the lead item on the BBC Sport Rugby Union page.
In my opinion, automatic relation should have been part of the original sanction.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
17 January, 2020 10:10
I'm not prescribing anything here. Wouldn't presume to.
But, given that Richmond's, and London Scottish's, and Rugby Lions', and London Welsh's sins were arguably less sinful and pre-meditated (difficult formula to compute, I know), does the panel think there is a case that Saracens should be dropped to at least the level that Welsh were?

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
17 January, 2020 10:16
Thatís a very fair question, given the arguments which support it. But would the powers-that-be dare to impose such a sanction on the most pre-eminent club in the country? Methinks politics could have a considerable part to play.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
17 January, 2020 10:25
That is entirely my point and my question.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
17 January, 2020 10:49
This Saints supporter (on the Sarries forum) makes a fair point:

Re: Automatic Relegation
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 09:58

The danger with this is that it ruins the league... the same as with ring fencing.

If you guys are relegated through poor performance on the pitch, fine.
If you guys are relegated as a result of financial indiscretions, fine but this should mean that the next worst team, i.e. 11th place, should be relegated and 2 teams brought up from the Championship.

The last thing the league needs a a whole series of dead rubber games as there would be no reason for you to play any senior players in the league and solely focus on the Champions Cup.

I have no idea, though, where Ealing or CP would play their games next season, but the sentiment is fine

Rob C
Rob C
17 January, 2020 11:01
Quote:
AdminBTCov
I'm not prescribing anything here. Wouldn't presume to.
But, given that Richmond's, and London Scottish's, and Rugby Lions', and London Welsh's sins were arguably less sinful and pre-meditated (difficult formula to compute, I know), does the panel think there is a case that Saracens should be dropped to at least the level that Welsh were?

They all went bust, trying to compete financially at a level they were unable to sustain? Saracens obviously don't have that problem.

I confess I've always had a soft spot for Saracens so have no axe to grind. They bring on and nurture home grown talent, many of which go on to form the back bone of the English side, as well as offering the only realistic challenge in Europe - outside France (with a 10 million pound wage cap) and Ireland (how do Leinster afford their squad?!). They play pretty watchable rugby as well...

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
17 January, 2020 12:09
Not being able to afford it, or flouting the regs? Arguable which is worse?
I'm not judging, Rob. Just debating.
Just to add, I have no problem whatsoever with Sarries' fans.
I have no time for the PRL, RFU, or international rugby though, just to be clear.

Rob C
Rob C
17 January, 2020 13:18
Quote:
AdminBTCov
I have no time for the PRL, RFU, or international rugby though, just to be clear.

Fair enough Admin - just playing Devil's advocate...

I'm a bit more shallow than you and only really bothered about Cov winning their next game winking smiley

Johnflinn
NOM
17 January, 2020 13:42
I'm a bit more shallow than you and only really bothered about Cov winning their next game winking smiley[/quote]

Haha, fair point Rob C but would you be of a sunny disposition if Covís next game was against the current Sarries line up 😀

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
17 January, 2020 15:54
Quote:
Rob C
Quote:
AdminBTCov

I'm a bit more shallow than you and only really bothered about Cov winning their next game winking smiley

Oh, that's exactly where I stand Rob.

Sam Skennel
Egg Timer
17 January, 2020 17:15
Their relegation, with their playing roster and financial clout, alongside the parachute payment, would ruin the Championship next season. Completely pointless. Not Saracens though, obviously.

Dave Berko
Dave Berko
17 January, 2020 18:00
Sarries fan in peace. If all this does 'come to pass' one massive consolation is that we will at the very least play the PROPER Cov Rugby team.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
17 January, 2020 18:28
Quote:
Dave Berko
Sarries fan in peace. If all this does 'come to pass' one massive consolation is that we will at the very least play the PROPER Cov Rugby team.
Got that right.

HoboAl
HoboAl
17 January, 2020 18:49
Quote:
Dave Berko

And your fans would be welcomed. Fans dont run the club and make the financial decisions.

Dave Berko
Dave Berko
17 January, 2020 19:12
Thanks HoboAl. My Dad was from Warwick and I always 'followed' Cov. in the days of David Duckham et al. Even worked there for a bit some 10 years ago.

Us Sarries fans aren't too bad!!!!

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
18 January, 2020 07:52
The more I think about this situation the more Iím inclined towards the idea of relegating Sarries to ďthe level that London Welsh wereĒ. In their case, as with LS, Richmond, Yorkshire Carnegie, etc, surely it is a matter of financial mismanagement? I accept that the imposition of a fine on those teams wouldnít have worked because they simply didnít have the money, whereas Sarries clearly did. But is the fine considered to be equivalent? As with all the other teams who have faced sanctions and ignominy, itís the supporters who I feel sorry for. They have done nothing wrong or contributed to the plight of the club, and can only watch proceedings in despair.

Straightout
Straightout
18 January, 2020 10:45
I was really looking forward to wasps being relegated! That could have had a big impact on our club with passive fans moving over to get us nearer 4000 each week near Top of the table. Thatís the big shame from this. They may escape..although London Irish are spiralling down and cant seem to win a game after a good start. They would prob have gone in the end. Tigers are good enough to survive. But could all be irrelevant. Get the feeling that sarries in some way want to take their medicine due to ill feeling and come down. Make some friends in champ and rebuild back to top. The international players short term though will be the problem but the club is more important. They are likely to lone their stars out for a year..I think they would be humble in our league and embrace it. Expect some 80 point wins though..unless they go down further and have to totally start again

poplarside
poplarside
18 January, 2020 11:12
Only one Saracens, the one from Bredon Avenue that produced Darren Garforth.

On a more serious note does anyone remember when Cov beat Saracens 46-25 at Coundon Rd to clinch the Rugby World Merit Table? Sounds like a dream but it did happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net