Latest news:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Championship funding...
Discussion started by AdminBTCov (IP Logged), 11 February, 2020 22:08
MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
11 February, 2020 22:08
...swingeing cuts. Where now for tier two?
[www.theguardian.com]

Eyesright
Eyesright
11 February, 2020 22:29
Absolutely disgusting decision. RFU killing the game we love. Rugby for the ELITE yet again. They’ve killed schools rugby they’ve killed age group club rugby they’ve killed county rugby now they are killing Championships rugby. You will now find Nat1 teams becoming stronger then Championship sides as players drop down to earn money playing part time alongside a good job. Fingers crossed for a breakaway group to run against the RFU and do a deal with Sky to show Championship games like BT Sports show premiership games.

Johnflinn
NOM
12 February, 2020 08:16
At the fans forum the chairman made reference to not knowing what the RFU funding for next season would look like - there was no hint that the Champ clubs would take this level of hit though.

There will be some very anxious clubs this morning and a lot of nervous players and staff. This could make the end of season debacle with YC/Hartpury/Richmond look like a minor administrative inconvenience-well done RFU!

As Richmond seem to have coped well with the loss of £560k this season they may be the most stable Champ club next season-that would be bitter-sweet irony.

No idea where this leaves Cov plans - with the squad size/make up and development players it could be a bumpy few months. The chairman’s resolve and Rowland’s relative inexperience will be severely tested I fear but Cov are in a better position than many other clubs in the division. ‘Keep calm and carry on’ as the saying goes!

covkid53
covkid53
12 February, 2020 08:53
Sadly, it's a double hit with funding cuts by RFU and Premiership rugby.

Championship clubs need to take a stand and deprive premiership clubs the opportunity to use the league as a place for players to get game time by making rules against loan players from the premiership. There could even be a case for refusing Saracens a place in the league next season unless they have parachute payments withdrawn to championship levels.

I don't know what targets championship teams have been set, but Coventry have progressed the development of rugby as much as anyone. So much so, Wasps even "stole" the Henley college rugby academy from Cov due to RFU rules around academy status and their spat with Worcester warriors. But undaunted, Cov have built again by set up of their own academy structure and juniors to develop rugby outside of Wasps influence.

Could Championship clubs take legal action against these cuts, I don't know. Perhaps they should think about how they market and fund the league regards TV and other media outlets.

Personally I think it is ringfencing by another name.

John Butler
John Butler
12 February, 2020 09:28
I completely agree with previous thoughts & views in this thread.
This is a dark day for club's such as Cov, it is as Cov Kid 53 has alluded to ringfencing via the back door - the final words there being mine added on to what he said.
Goodness knows what is going to occur next, but again to repeat of a previous point made, let us not panic & wait for further reaction, notably from the Club.

captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
12 February, 2020 09:30
Funding has been drastically cut for travel allowance for lower clubs,throwing the viability of some leagues into serious jeopardy..The future of our game is being thrown into turmoil and the future of some clubs existence also. Players and staff along with their families have an uncertain future. Saracens hadn't better of got the parachute payment. A VOTE. OG NO CONFIDENCE should be sent by àll clubs

captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
12 February, 2020 09:30
Funding has been drastically cut for travel allowance for lower clubs,throwing the viability of some leagues into serious jeopardy..The future of our game is being thrown into turmoil and the future of some clubs existence also. Players and staff along with their families have an uncertain future. Saracens hadn't better of got the parachute payment. A VOTE. OG NO CONFIDENCE should be sent by àll clubs

HoboAl
HoboAl
12 February, 2020 09:59
PRL, CVC and RFU are like three greedy kids eyeing up the cherry and the icing while forgetting the importance of the cake.

PRL needs a strong Championship, Nat 1 and Nat 2 as does the England team.

The thought that the A league can be the second tier of English Rugby is farcical.

As a business model it is so short sighted and in the medium term will destroy rugby union in the UK. Time for rugby fans to support their local teams; the likes of Coventry, Moseley, Nottingham, Doncaster, Rotherham, Cinderford and Cambridge etc.,
Broadstreet, Barkers, Earlsdon and Kenilworth....

I wonder what those 57 RFU salaries add upto and are they justifiable? They seem salaries of priviledge rather than merit.

MESSAGES->author
Peter Redhead
12 February, 2020 10:44
Time for a root and branch review of the board of directors at the RFU. The majority of clubs in the various leagues need to vent their feeling and rock the boat.

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw
12 February, 2020 11:52
In light of the cut in spending, as I understand 4 clubs from the championship enquired about entering the Pro 14 league .
I know travelling would be expensive but could this be an option ?

Nige H
Nige H
12 February, 2020 12:12
Shocking shocking turn of events. HopefullY the championship will have something up their sleeves? Either another league or a legal challenge somehow?
Nige

MESSAGES->author
Bono546
12 February, 2020 12:31
Richmond if I remember correctly never went full time when they were promoted. Moves to join the pro 14 might seem an option but is that not what the RFU want?
The RFU would be left with a single league and an A team competition and still have access to any other players they, the teams, would wish to acquire.
The RFU would then make no contribution to grass roots rugby and happily continue along their financially biased route which will still have the support of the majority of rugby fans, the Premiership having the major match day crowds.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
12 February, 2020 14:21
The RFU are an absolute disgrace and the question must be asked "are they fit for purpose?" Only time will tell but i would suggest that they are not. The money men are hovering and the RFU have sold the Championship down the river. The ambitious championship clubs will now look to other models and leagues, Possibly Pro 14 style, this will happen when CVC/PRL create their European super leagues.

Phil Reynolds

MESSAGES->author
OldNick
12 February, 2020 14:29
The last attempt by the RFU to remove funding of all tiers below the Premiership, and hand ver all professional rugby to their corrupt hands was about 3 years ago, when they attempted to pair Premiership teams with Championship clubs, changing the structure so that Championship clubs became subsidiaries- in much the way Hartpury chose to move.
That restructuring was defeated in the RFU council leaving only the farcical provision of allowing ten dual registered players plus three loan players as a back door to subsidiarity.

That route (unsurprisingly) having failed to persuade more than one Championship club to kneel before the Premiership pound, has now been replaced by the more brutal route.

This time there is no restructuring offered to be voted out by the council. Instead the back door route of strangling the Championship clubs by removing funding.

If, as it appears, there is no route for the council to reject this change, as it is not a structural change, just the administrative change if varying funding levels, there is only one way to deal with it.

The RFU as an whole must come together to remove the executives of the RFU through an EGM and vote of no confidence.

captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
12 February, 2020 14:59
Maybe this provides an opportunity to allow 2 further.teams to come up.Wiiith the rfu money being reduced the amount shared and lost to two new clubs maybe more palpable now, withe increaser in meaningful fixtures.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
12 February, 2020 15:29
Quote:
bigm/ mark harrison.
Maybe this provides an opportunity to allow 2 further.teams to come up.Wiiith the rfu money being reduced the amount shared and lost to two new clubs maybe more palpable now, withe increaser in meaningful fixtures.

Mark, that may well be the case, however that has not been mentioned by the RFU and today's reaction from Championship CEOs would suggest that it is not on the table.

Phil Reynolds

bigfecker
bigfecker
12 February, 2020 15:56
You chaps may be interested in the below;

[cornish-pirates.com]

Good luck with the RFU and the monkeys there.

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
12 February, 2020 16:37
This is an utterly abhorrent decision and is in absolute contempt of all clubs except the elite members of the Premiership. A certain friend of mine (he’ll know who he is) generally uses the expression Aaaaah Eff U. This pretty well sums up the unspeakable divisiveness of the Old F*rt governing body which has announced this appalling decision.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov
12 February, 2020 17:08
Too many 'a's in that Cliff. But yes, quite.

Pilsbury1005
Pilsbury1005
12 February, 2020 19:00
Agree with all above comments, I am so angry that I don't know quite what to say. So sorry for any club in the Championship with any ambition and to those owners who have provided the finances to support ambition. Quite honestly the death of promotion/relegation in Rugby, even the Football Premiership are not so stupid! I for one vow will vote with my feet and never to attend a Premiership game again unless this decision is reversed.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie
12 February, 2020 19:37
Quote from Heath Stevens on BBC article:-

"Coventry centre Heath Stevens told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire that the funding cuts were "a kick in the teeth" and showed "a lack of respect to players and coaches".

He said: "It's nearing the end of February and contracts usually run until the end of May, so it gives boys four more payments until their contracts are up.

"There have been rumours going around about this happening since early September. The communication needs to be so much earlier.

"It's a bit of a shambles in terms of how it's been handled. There's been a disregard for player welfare and players' minds. We've been treated like pieces of meat."

Stevens, 27, was at London Welsh when they went into administration in 2016 and believes players must do more themselves to ensure they have a career beyond rugby.

"We're quite lucky that our schedules allow us to go and do things around our professional careers and it's down to the players to be proactive and find out what they do and don't like and doing as much as they can," he added.

"We've all been guilty of going for a coffee with team-mates or putting our feet up. I think the boys have got to be more proactive in finding other things to do because rugby isn't going to be there forever.

"You have got to have other strings to your bow to counteract these scenarios. It's going to have a massive impact on what each club can do with their squad and how they can perform next season.

"This is going to be in the back of players' minds that they might not have a contract next year because of the lack of financing in the game."

MESSAGES->author
OldNick
12 February, 2020 19:46
On the interview as aired on BBC CWR’s Rugby Programme he also emphasised this was not criticism of CoventrY Rugby, but of the RFU.

Eyesright
Eyesright
13 February, 2020 07:53
The Championship clubs should start a boycott of one of the autumn internationals and see how the RFU reacts to their ‘lifeline’ being cut like they are cutting the championship clubs lifeline

HoboAl
HoboAl
13 February, 2020 08:52
Well no days out at Prem clubs for me even if Ulster are playing.
No days out at Twickenham.
I won't even buy another England shirt.

titchywinger
titchywinger
13 February, 2020 09:06
Too right Al. The RFU have cut funding to the Championship, so I shall cut my funding to the RFU. Probably the only way I can do that is to not buy any merchandise and not go to Twickenham. If all fans from the Championship were to do the same the RFU would lose a good chunk of money.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net