Latest news:

Warwickshire RFU
Discussion started by covmick1/Michael Carter (IP Logged), 16 February, 2020 11:40
covmick1/Michael Carter
covmick1/Michael Carter
16 February, 2020 11:40
With all that has gone on this past week, I have looked out for any comments from Warwickshire RFU. But I have found nothing. As anyone read or seen anything? Who is our rep on the RFU? Are they contactable?

covmick/Michael Carter

Johnflinn
NOM
16 February, 2020 13:17
The Council rep is the person to contact but Warwickshire RFU website has a holding page where his details should be.

Whilst this chap should represent Cov the reality is Council reps have been sidelined and are unlikely to upset their ‘corporate’ directors for fear of losing their HQ international match perks.

A social media ‘shaming or no confidence’ campaign would have more impact though those charged with leadership of the Union’s moral compass is so out of kilter they would probably spin the results to say how interest in the game is at an all-time high!

HoboAl
HoboAl
16 February, 2020 15:01
RFU Reps are a waste of time. Clubs need to band together. Do we want the RFU putting 280 million plus into Premiership over 8 years. Is that providing a better return than the Championship all down the leagues to grass roots rugby.

To move Rugby forward 3 or 4 competitive leagues are required. Not one cartel showcase league which will end up with many of the fixtures being meaningless without relegation.

Paul Ingleston
Paul Ingleston
16 February, 2020 15:28
Al - re: ‘ RFU Reps are a waste of time’.

Sorry Al, I cannot let that rather bald statement go unchecked. Having been watching rugby for a long time in various guises and roles, I think it is worth noting that many of these people give their time voluntarily as volunteers, very many from the community game at grassroots level. Having to sit through the various committee meetings, usually monthly, discussing various matters, usually at the behest of masters above, can sometimes be very wearing.
Organising the various county competitions, admittedly less frequent now owing to the player drain, standing at gates collecting admissions and support to the ever decreasing spectator support.
These VOLUNTEERS deserve our respect, not decrying. You and I see the game at a higher level, but our game, even at TIer 2, still has the voluntary element to it, and always will have, whatever you or I may hope for.
I am by no means an apologist for our WRFU or other county representatives around the country, but without these representatives and their giving of their time at the different Levels our game would be a lot poorer.

HoboAl
HoboAl
16 February, 2020 19:05
Quote:
Paul Ingleston
Al - re: ‘ RFU Reps are a waste of time’.
Sorry Al, I cannot let that rather bald statement go unchecked. Having been watching rugby for a long time in various guises and roles, I think it is worth noting that many of these people give their time voluntarily as volunteers, very many from the community game at grassroots level. Having to sit through the various committee meetings, usually monthly, discussing various matters, usually at the behest of masters above, can sometimes be very wearing.
Organising the various county competitions, admittedly less frequent now owing to the player drain, standing at gates collecting admissions and support to the ever decreasing spectator support.
These VOLUNTEERS deserve our respect, not decrying. You and I see the game at a higher level, but our game, even at TIer 2, still has the voluntary element to it, and always will have, whatever you or I may hope for.
I am by no means an apologist for our WRFU or other county representatives around the country, but without these representatives and their giving of their time at the different Levels our game would be a lot poorer.

I am not decrying the volunteers who make things happen in the RFU at local level. I am saying they are not the right people to channel a complaint through regarding funding cuts. My beef is with the ones at the top claiming £39 million in salaries. An average of around £71,000. So there will be alot of 540 odd employed on a hell of a lot more.

Considering sponsorship and tv rigjts available to Premiership clubs the funding going into the Championship or lower is grossly disproportionate.

£300,000 per Championship Club (which can keep a club going at that level) is like a Premiership Club losing one average player.

The biggest disservice the heads of the RFU have done is rubbish the Championship, which ironically is the top league they have full ownership over. The fact they see the A league as the way forward is laughable - no fan interest and half the time the Premiership teams can't be bothered to fullfill the fixtures.

The RFU who seem to only be interested in the England team and Premiership teams are the ones doing all those volunteers a disservice, not me. Without all the lower league tiers, local rugby clubs, community work, all those volunteers you rightly credit; the RFU, Priemership and England National team would be nothing after about 10 years.

AgentB
Street
16 February, 2020 19:07
Charlie McGinty is WRFU rep on RFC council.
His time is up as from June due to 9 years in post I believe.
WRFU are seeking to promote Matt Smith into the role.
The only candidate as yet unless someone else is proposed by 2 voting clubs in the county who would need to supply written support.

Paul Ingleston
Paul Ingleston
16 February, 2020 19:14
Thanks for the clarification Al and your thoughts on what seems to be getting very messy and acrimonious as we go on. Can only hope there will be some meeting of the minds and a reasonable solution can be found.

Paul

Johnflinn
NOM
16 February, 2020 21:42
My post above was not an attack on volunteers across the rugby landscape - I have been one for many years and the game relies on us all at all levels.

I referred to Constituent Body Council reps who hold the senior liaison role on behalf of clubs in each CB (whether it be County, Army/Navy or Varsity etc). Those roles last for 3x3 year term and although not paid do come with considerable perks. Best seats in the ‘bowl’ at Twickenham for internationals, +1 catering etc - the commercial value to buy the equivalent hospitality is £000’s per season. In a charity or business these are benefits in kind and have a real world value. This marks them out from the hundreds of willing volunteers who keep the game alive at all levels.

I know that to rise to the role of CB Council rep each person will have done years of more junior service as a volunteer. My point is that the role no longer has influence as the very well paid executives have control of decisions and for CB reps to refuse to rubber stamp executive decisions risks having their benefits cut - this was threatened a couple of years ago as a warning when +1 perks were called into question and the bean counters put a figure on the perk - Council members harrumphed but chose not to rock the boat then....what chance now?

The traditional route to our Union is no longer working - social media campaigns that give headline writers copy is the only possible way to influence the image conscious execs as they prune their careers. Hopefully those with the IT skills and wit can pick up this challenge as I fear that domain is not one in which I am capable or competent!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net