Latest news:

Championship format
Discussion started by Mick J Shaw (IP Logged), 27 June, 2020 23:31
Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw
27 June, 2020 23:31
How does everyone see the championship division evolving or how will the championship look on 12 months time, what's the way ahead

John Butler
John Butler
28 June, 2020 10:05
Mick. Almost impossible to answer.
What will it look like when 2020/21 gets underway, let alone 12 months ahead.
There are so many unanswered areas, how will Bedford evolve for example with Northampton ?
What will be the situation at Nottingham, who have stated categorically they will be part time & have lost a lot of players.
The way ahead in the Championship. Who knows with any accuracy !

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw
28 June, 2020 10:43
I know John that's why I asked to question and to get a debate going.ok how would people like to see the championship developed?. This is supposedly a discussion board let's have a discussion

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2020 10:46 by Mick J Shaw.

poplarside
poplarside
28 June, 2020 11:22
As JB says it's difficult to answer with so many unanswered questions still. I would imagine Ealing and Sarries to be in a two-horse race for promotion but apart from that who knows?

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo
28 June, 2020 12:18
With the potential for infection spikes and possible city lockdowns to come, it's all a bit premature tbh.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Eyesright
Eyesright
28 June, 2020 14:00
Me personally would love to see Premiership ringfenced (not that I am for it I just feel itís destined to happen so get it done) and allow the championship to stand alone and be able to sort their own tv rights and league sponsors and not have the rfu pilfer any of the revenue. More coverage on tv the more sponsors are likely to either be interested or up their offers to sponsor clubs

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
28 June, 2020 15:56
Quote:
Eyesright
Me personally would love to see Premiership ringfenced (not that I am for it I just feel itís destined to happen so get it done) and allow the championship to stand alone and be able to sort their own tv rights and league sponsors and not have the rfu pilfer any of the revenue. More coverage on tv the more sponsors are likely to either be interested or up their offers to sponsor clubs

Hmm that does seem a very contradictory statement? however if so many people are interested in the Championship why do the Sponsors not already crawl all over it offering exclusive TV rights etc and Sponsorship of the League (It is my understanding that Greenking have not renewed their Sponsorship) not sure if anyone else has stepped forward.
If the Championship is going to stay part of the current RFU system then promotion and relegation is a must otherwise it all becomes a bit pointless.

If the Championship break away from the RFU set up then i do believe there would be more interest in Sponsorship and TV rights, a Pro 14 style could achieve this and clubs could argue the deals on their own merits without the RFU shitting all over the lower leagues as they already do.

Phil Reynolds

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw
28 June, 2020 17:43
On a reformed championship would people want just English clubs or would anyone be interested in welsh,irish,scottish or even french clubs being part

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2020 17:20 by Mick J Shaw.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo
28 June, 2020 18:10
Adding greatly to travelling costs for all concerned?Doesn't sound prudent just now, does it?

HoboAl
HoboAl
28 June, 2020 18:30
I think Championship bolstered by a say 3 Welsh sides could work.

I think clubs will have to sort their own revenue streams out. So there will be a mix of fulltime, almost fulltime and some clubs being part-time.

Forget cup competitions as it duplicates too many fixtures.

Expansion of the league is the way to go. Whether that is with some Welsh sides or a few extra from League One.

I dont want to see ring fencing. I think there should be the opportunity of promotion however unlikely it is. I think there should actually be two up and two down. A few years of yo yoing could actually help a club to bridge the huge gap. It would keep both leagues fixtures alive and more meaningful for longer. That sort of drama is what attracts TV, viewers and also sponsorship.

If they ring fence that league will be dead in the water within 5 or 6 years. Football rejected ring fencing and the football Championship league has improved as a result.

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw
28 June, 2020 19:27
Quote:
Kimbo
Adding greatly to travelling costs for all concerned?Doesn't sound prudent just now, does it?
Probably not but what would your plan

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw
28 June, 2020 19:30
Quote:
HoboAl
I think Championship bolstered by a say 3 Welsh sides could work.
I think clubs will have to sort their own revenue streams out. So there will be a mix of fulltime, almost fulltime and some clubs being part-time.

Forget cup competitions as it duplicates too many fixtures.

Expansion of the league is the way to go. Whether that is with some Welsh sides or a few extra from League One.

I dont want to see ring fencing. I think there should be the opportunity of promotion however unlikely it is. I think there should actually be two up and two down. A few years of yo yoing could actually help a club to bridge the huge gap. It would keep both leagues fixtures alive and more meaningful for longer. That

If they ring fence that league will be dead in the water within 5 or 6 years. Football rejected ring fencing and the football Championship league has improved as a result.
I agree with your thoughts sir

telly1
telly1
30 June, 2020 17:06
Problem is, will COV be part of the competition?
Take it as read up and down is finished.
In reality it is yo yo anyway.
Saracens will go up, or a extra team added and closed off thereafter.
Championship will be starved of money until it is semi pro at most.
Historic experience shows the mass public not interested.
Rightly so when one compares the product, ponderous slow poor skills officials useless as well.
Yet, paying £20 quid for it.
RFU fed up with seeing their cash wasted on clubs squandering it on overpaid players and coaches.
If a championship player gets £60k as plenty do, then a Premiership player should get £150k such is the difference in quality.
Something is out of quilter, either one is under paid or the other is overpaid.
Seems to me RFU got it right.
Soon, the Coventry Rugby ltd, trading results will be listed on here, Ugh, and worse to come.

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
30 June, 2020 17:22
Why oh why are readers of this board sucked into responding to telly1ís utter garbage? Itís entirely unsubstantiated, is not backed up by any facts, figures, data or reasoned arguments. He is never anything other than confrontational and overwhelmingly negative. Please, please can he be left to wallow in his vitriol?

telly1
telly1
30 June, 2020 19:48
Problem for non believers is that all posts I make, are or, come true.
Why deny or disbelieve the reality.
This is why the game is struggling, non believers get stuck in their dreamlike existence.
Especially so for those on this board who continue to insult, verbally abuse and are very beastly to me. Simply because they cannot accept the actuality.

Spookykid
Spookykid
01 July, 2020 13:37
Quote:
telly1
This is why the game is struggling, non believers get stuck in their dreamlike existence.
Especially so for those on this board who continue to insult, verbally abuse and are very beastly to me. Simply because they cannot accept the actuality.

Are you David Icke?!

HoboAl
HoboAl
01 July, 2020 15:06
Quote:
telly1
Problem is, will COV be part of the competition?
Take it as read up and down is finished.
In reality it is yo yo anyway.
Saracens will go up, or a extra team added and closed off thereafter.
Championship will be starved of money until it is semi pro at most.
Historic experience shows the mass public not interested.
Rightly so when one compares the product, ponderous slow poor skills officials useless as well.
Yet, paying £20 quid for it.
RFU fed up with seeing their cash wasted on clubs squandering it on overpaid players and coaches.
If a championship player gets £60k as plenty do, then a Premiership player should get £150k such is the difference in quality.
Something is out of quilter, either one is under paid or the other is overpaid.
Seems to me RFU got it right.
Soon, the Coventry Rugby ltd, trading results will be listed on here, Ugh, and worse to come.

Premiership clubs seem to be squandering the most.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo
01 July, 2020 15:21
Quote:
Spookykid
Quote:
telly1

Are you David Icke?!
Certainly been reading far too much Billy Bunter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net