Latest news:

Season start
Discussion started by CharlieBravo (IP Logged), 07 September, 2020 10:13
CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
07 September, 2020 10:13
Does anyone have any idea when the season is due to start?
All the leagues below the Championship were due to start on Saturday, and each fixture had a “P” for “Postponed” against them, but there was nothing about the Championship. Does a proposed fixture list exist and are any dates scheduled?

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo
07 September, 2020 11:33
Nope.

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
07 September, 2020 12:07
Does the RFU have a clue as to anything? Indeed, are they of any use or fit for purpose?

MESSAGES->author
OldNick
07 September, 2020 12:07
Least of all the RFU.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
07 September, 2020 13:42
Quote:
CharlieBravo
Does the RFU have a clue as to anything? Indeed, are they of any use or fit for purpose?

See Kimbos previous answer!

Tip
Tip (JJ Teeling)
07 September, 2020 15:24
Unless the RFU gain'loads a money' I can't see them bothering themselves with us

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie
07 September, 2020 18:43
In the FAQ's of the RFU's 'Return to Competitive Playing' plans for adult and age grade rugby in the community there is this:-

"What about the Championship?

We continue to have discussions with the Championship clubs about the timing for the start of their season."

It seems the Championship is neither part of the professional game or the community one either.

Sam Skennel
Egg Timer
07 September, 2020 18:59
The RFU aren't interested in the Championshipo - they've proved that time after time. The best we could hope for is the government to say that crowds can attend sporting events, and then they'd have no choice.

Tip
Tip (JJ Teeling)
07 September, 2020 20:30
Of course the RFU are not putting themselves out. There's not " loads of Dosh" in it for them!!

Butts121
Butts121
07 September, 2020 20:31
Or rather, the championship clubs have said they won't start the season until crowds are allowed in.

John Butler
John Butler
08 September, 2020 09:29
Championship clubs will not be able to afford to play until crowds are allowed in.
What should also be or real concern at the moment as well is the latest climb in virus numbers.
For there to be anything remotely like a national lockdown again, that would be really serious trouble across the board, but where would it leave the Championship ?
No Championship to speak of in 2020/21 would surely mean financial ruin for some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 09:30 by John Butler.

CharlieBravo
CharlieBravo
08 September, 2020 12:25
It’s the complete lack of communication from the RFU which I find so distasteful and contemptible. I can’t speak for the Championship clubs as to whether the RFU is in contact with them, but it’s the absence of anything from them for the benefit of the supporters which is so utterly negligent and dismissive. And if, as JB quite reasonably suggests, the whole 2020/21 season is under threat because of another lockdown, will the RFU raise its head above the parapet and do something constructive? Pigs, as they say, might fly.

Sam Skennel
Egg Timer
08 September, 2020 16:41
But, as was reasonably pointed out this morning on the news, the reason for lockdown in the first place was to protect the NHS from being overwhelmed with patients. There are very few admissions to hospital for C-19 now, and fewer deaths, so is another total lockdown usefull or useless?

GetxoGreg
GetxoGreg
08 September, 2020 18:06
Same up here in Scotland with the SRU

longford tim
longford tim
08 September, 2020 19:20
As a driver who delivers specimens for the NHS to pathology rooms, covid-19 is not going away soon, that is a certainty

Sam Skennel
Egg Timer
09 September, 2020 08:02
Quote:
longford tim
As a driver who delivers specimens for the NHS to pathology rooms, covid-19 is not going away soon, that is a certainty

No, but the common cold and the "normal, seasonal" 'flu aren't either, but we've never locked down for either of those, and I'm pretty sure they take their toll in terms of deaths. It's the mixed messaging that annoys me.

Glass Half Full 3
Glass Half Full 3
09 September, 2020 09:35
I wonder how Jersey will fair?

As I understand it, any Cov players and supporters currently have to self isolate for 5 days before a game! As would some other teams, though some ok. And I think the same for Jersey players coming to Cov to play having to self isolate on return.

We seem to be a long way from a restart.

Glass Half Full 3
Glass Half Full 3
09 September, 2020 09:36
I wonder how Jersey will fair?

As I understand it, any Cov players and supporters currently have to self isolate for 5 days before a game! As would some other teams, though some ok. And I think the same for Jersey players coming to Cov to play having to self isolate on return.

We seem to be a long way from a restart.

Butts121
Butts121
09 September, 2020 12:41
Sheer madness these new restrictions. Capacity is far better than in March for tests, and hospital beds.
2,000 daily infections in 60 odd million people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net