Latest news:

Ealing Website
Discussion started by Rob C (IP Logged), 18 September, 2020 11:41
Rob C
Rob C
18 September, 2020 11:41
Ealing have announced two warm up games against Newcastle falcons in November. The article states:

'With the dates for the 20/21 Championship season still to be confirmed, these matches provide some much needed game time ahead of what is expected to be a December start for the league.'

[www.ealingtrailfinders.com]

longford tim
longford tim
18 September, 2020 12:08
Rob, this is good news indeed that Championship Rugby might be returning in December, if this is the case, but it does seem very premature to me, especially considering we don't even know if crowds will be allowed in yet, especially as the R rate is rising. Jon Sharp has already stated we can not afford to play in an empty stadium. This a bit too soon in my opinion. Small steps first, think of safety, then look at the bigger picture

Rob C
Rob C
18 September, 2020 12:15
Agreed Tim. I'm not sure on what Ealing have based their assumption - perhaps a best-case scenario if the virus is kept under control.

If the furlough scheme ends on 31st October then clubs are presumably faced with either retaining players and paying them, or releasing them from their contracts. If it's the former then we'd better hope that there's some rugby to be played before too long to pay some salaries.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
18 September, 2020 16:21
A provisional date of the 12th of December was muted as the restart date for the championship, however that was before the latest "6" restrictions were implemented.

Phil Reynolds

Sam Skennel
Egg Timer
19 September, 2020 08:00
I've been told that NCA rugby will be ok to start from the beginning of November, but whether that includes the Championship, I have no idea. This information from an active referee...(not me)

SimonG19
SimonG19
20 September, 2020 12:49
Quote:
Egg Timer
I've been told that NCA rugby will be ok to start from the beginning of November, but whether that includes the Championship, I have no idea. This information from an active referee...(not me)

The NCA covers National Leagues 1 and 2 (North & South).

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie
20 September, 2020 14:58
All the NCA have said publically is that no competitive will be played in October. As we all know it all depends on Covid. The Championship wil certainly not start any earlier than the NCA leagues and below.
The cost of testing will be too much for most Championship clubs to bear. Also a large number of the players will have additional employment, either included in their professional playing contract or playing on a semi pro basis. They will be mixing with many people at their work, so the risks of infection are infinitely greater than the fully professional Premiership.

From the Rugby Paper today:- Paul Durkin (Pirates Chairman)- "My gut feeling is that it I see likely to be the start of January...if by then we have a percentage of crowds allowed it becomes financially feasible". All of Durkin's players are furloughed, and he estimates the cost of testing his squad and coaches twice a week when they return to be between £25,000 to £40,000 per month. "From November furlough ends and we will have to pay our contracts. If there is no money coming through the gates you can guess the consequences".

Sam Skennel
Egg Timer
21 September, 2020 09:32
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
Egg Timer

I know. That's why I asked what it means for the Championship...

John Butler
John Butler
23 September, 2020 09:05
Following yesterday's developments & the statements made, it really is now very worrying indeed & rather puts into real perspective the plans Ealing have/had re playing Newcastle in November.
There is a great deal of comment in today's D Telegraph for one, Jon Sharp briefly quoted.
The possibility of no crowds for 6 months ( time scale not firmly confirmed obviously either way), raises the real prospect of there being no Championship season.
Yes I know it is just that, speculation at this point, but I suggest this latest national development re Covid is desperately concerning on any number of points & areas.

John Butler
John Butler
23 September, 2020 09:14
Statement from the Club is now on the Official Web Site

SimonG19
SimonG19
23 September, 2020 13:20
Quote:
Egg Timer
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
Egg Timer

I know. That's why I asked what it means for the Championship...

That might be what you meant but if you read what you actually wrote it wasn't what you asked.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo
23 September, 2020 15:10
He didn't ask a question. He made a statement.
Do you spend your entire life hopping from SN site to SN SN site to pick holes?
That was a question, but don't answer it; I already know the answer.
There are Sarries fans out there to annoy, so hop to it.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic
23 September, 2020 15:20
The implications of this set back, with the likely hood that the Championship will not resume until the new year, if at all are huge.
I totally get that Ealing (possibly viewed) an opportunity to upset Saracens but the cost implications must be massive for them.
Players not furloughed and in full training with the additional cost of Covid testing must be significant, all being paid for by the club, then having no real revenue coming in, it becomes a bottomless pit with no current end in sight.

Phil Reynolds

SimonG19
SimonG19
24 September, 2020 14:12
Quote:
Kimbo
He didn't ask a question. He made a statement.
Do you spend your entire life hopping from SN site to SN SN site to pick holes?
That was a question, but don't answer it; I already know the answer.
There are Sarries fans out there to annoy, so hop to it.

You really are a pompous @#$%& aren't you?

I originally posted here to provide information to Egg Timer. Nothing more and nothing less.

With people like you posting here I'm not surprised this site has so little traffic.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo
24 September, 2020 14:23
Bingo...

zinzanh
zinzanh
27 September, 2020 16:03
And Bongo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net