Latest news:

Ambitions for this season 2019-20?
Discussion started by baatalbion (IP Logged), 03 September, 2019 06:36
baatalbion
baatalbion
03 September, 2019 06:36
I'm not sure what the Club's ambitions are this season. Does anyone know? Are we going for promotion this season, next season or in three years time, or are we happy to finish in the top three of National 1 each season?

The indicators that point me towards the view that our ambitions may be muted are:

1. With all due respect to the players joining the squad this season, the calibre and experience of these players doesn't match up with a near-ready Championship squad.
2.Taken as a whole the pre-season fixtures don't match up with what I would have expected a promotion-pushing side to have engaged with.
3. A lack of serious promotion talk from the club.
4. In a promotion year you must have a squad that is 90% Championship ready. You can't gather a squad together in the close-season and expect them to be successful.

As a long time season-ticket holder I'm really looking forward to the new season and I wish the coaching team, support staff and the players all the best. I'm really enjoying National 1 but, in my heart, I'd love to see us as a force in the Championship again. Does the Club want to be there and have we the means to do it?

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek
03 September, 2019 12:04
Interesting post baatalbion.

Here's my twopenneth worth.

1) The decision to replace Kieran Hallett indicates a desire for change and dissatisfaction with a top 3 or 5 finish in National 1. Whether this is a fair reflection of Kieran's capabilities is debateable.
2) Whether Ben Gulliver has what it takes to lift us back to the Championship only time will tell. It is simply too soon. However, it is true that he has not had experience of this sort of challenge.
3) Because of the delay in appointing Gulliver the squad has been slow to assemble with numerous comings and goings.
4) I don't know enough about the new signings to know whether they are good enough. However, I am not sure I agree with the suggestion that we need "90% Chamionship ready" at this point in the season. We have actively recruited and that is a good sign.
5) The club still has a limited budget. This is sensible in my opinion.
6) The pre-season does seem to have been rather "light on", and whilst we had 2 victories from 2 starts, the opposition and the results don't tell us too much. Both Taunton and Exeter Uni did manage a few tries against us, which makes me a little concerned about defence.

I hope that the club seriously wants promotion this year, but (given the above) it may be a 2 year goal.

Commando Joe
Commando Joe
03 September, 2019 12:33
Promotion this season in my opinion unlikely. Three or four clubs have invested in players from higher levels than our league. Unless the gates improve and the commercial side picks up next season will be similar. Our young squad might prove me wrong 👍👍

The Joy of Level 7
The Joy of Level 7
03 September, 2019 16:34
Three of last seasonís top four are obviously still in the league and are likely to be strong again, having, by all accounts, recruited well during the summer. Richmond will probably be strong and there are several others with expensive-looking squads.

As a relatively cash-strapped club, without the employment opportunities of the SE, I think another top five finish would be a fantastic achievement. Other than the top sides, the league will be just as competitive as last season and Albion were actually closer (I think) to being relegated than they were to finishing fourth.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net