Latest news:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Half backs
Discussion started by mommentum (IP Logged), 26 July, 2019 20:06
mommentum
mommentum
26 July, 2019 20:06
Nic white having played a premiership season is now playing a summer of rugby for Australia followed by the World Cup. He is going to be a bit burned out next season. We are going to need Townend to come good.

At fly half Steenson is starting coaching, which if Joe Simmons was to get injured leaves us a bit light.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
28 July, 2019 07:00
Quote:
mommentum
Nic white having played a premiership season is now playing a summer of rugby for Australia followed by the World Cup. He is going to be a bit burned out next season. We are going to need Townend to come good.
At fly half Steenson is starting coaching, which if Joe Simmons was to get injured leaves us a bit light.

Steenson will likely still be the second choice for the first part of the season but I agree it is time to move on and start looking at other options at 10. We might see more of Harvey Skinner this season but I would expect that they are looking to sign another 10 in the coming year. Problem is good 10s don't grow on tree's and are normally quite expensive.

Nic will likely get time off after the World Cup, makes no sense sending him straight back into the action and not giving them a few weeks off to chill. That will be the case with Elvis, Francis, Sladey, Nowell, LCD, Mooner and Harry if they all end up going to Japan. But yes I agree, Maunder and Townsend need to start strong this season.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
28 July, 2019 08:07
I'm not sure what's happening in relation to Nic White. I thought to qualify for the Aussie World Cup squad you had to be playing or signed to an Aussie club, so Nic had signed for someone down there, for a short season, meaning we won't get him back immediately.

Or did I dream that?

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice
28 July, 2019 16:00
You dreamt it.

He has signed down under for the following season, so will be with us until the end of June 2020

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
28 July, 2019 17:52
Thank you.

I've had some other dreams you might be able to explain to me too.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
29 July, 2019 11:50
I have full confidence in our half backs, i've said it before but imo, we played our best rugby the year we won the Premiership, before Nic White arrived. Chudley was injured and Maunder more than stepped up to the plate as did Stu when Maunder got injured with a few games to go. If given sufficient game time they will flourish as they did before. Its all about confidence and self belief, that only comes from playing regularly.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
29 July, 2019 13:02
Quote:
Broken arrow
I have full confidence in our half backs, i've said it before but imo, we played our best rugby the year we won the Premiership, before Nic White arrived. Chudley was injured and Maunder more than stepped up to the plate as did Stu when Maunder got injured with a few games to go. If given sufficient game time they will flourish as they did before. Its all about confidence and self belief, that only comes from playing regularly.
That season both Chudley and Lewis,our the first choice nines, got injured and these two young scrum halves really stepped up to the plate. Hopefully, given the opportunity they can recapture that form!

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
29 July, 2019 22:10
Quote:
fatheralice
You dreamt it.
He has signed down under for the following season, so will be with us until the end of June 2020

Yep as I understand it Australia have always had the policy of 'if you're not playing in Oz, you're not getting picked'. However a problem arose when they realized they couldn't keep overlooking Matt Giteau, who was in amazing form for Toulon heading into the 2015 World Cup. As a result when the Wallabies introduced their own version of Gatland's law purely so they could get Giteau into the Wallabies squad, which they predictably referred to as Giteau's Law.

Fast forward to today Nic White hasn't met the cap threshold to qualify under this law and therefore to work around Exe have essentially let him sign for an Australian club for the duration of the World Cup in order to bi-pass Giteau's Law so Nic can play in the World Cup.

Wampum
Wampum
30 July, 2019 09:57
Really need Stu T fit and firing this season. Harvey looked good last yer and only getting better. Not sure about our centres yet - Devo and Henry are fine but Whitts not any younger and Hendrickson needs to improve his passing

MESSAGES->author
Chief caps
30 July, 2019 14:38
not entirely true, the chiefs have released him from the last year of his contract allowing him to sign for a team down under which he has done and will join after next season.

mommentum
mommentum
30 July, 2019 18:44
Quote:
Wampum
Really need Stu T fit and firing this season. Harvey looked good last yer and only getting better. Not sure about our centres yet - Devo and Henry are fine but Whitts not any younger and Hendrickson needs to improve his passing

Quietly it was a changing of the guard with Whitten and Dollman not making the final squad and Steenson now part time.

Deve and Henry are definitely first choice, then Sam Hill and maybe this will be Bodilly break through year

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net