Latest news:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
World Cup Squad
Discussion started by Lowerwatha (IP Logged), 12 August, 2019 12:04
MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
12 August, 2019 12:04
Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps)

Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 11 caps)

Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 10 caps)

Jamie George (Saracens, 37 caps) *

Maro Itoje (Saracens, 27 caps)

George Kruis (Saracens, 32 caps) *

Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 59 caps) *

Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 72 caps) **

Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)

Joe Marler (Harlequins, 58 caps) *

Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 22 caps)

Jack Singleton (Saracens, 1 cap)

Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)

Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 42 caps) *

Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53 caps) *

Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons / Sale Sharks, 13 caps)

Backs: Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 5 caps)

Elliot Daly (Saracens, 31 caps)

Owen Farrell (Saracens, 70 caps) *

George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps) *

Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)

Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)

Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 41 caps) *

Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps) *

Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 33 caps) *

Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 22 caps) *

Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 33 caps) *

Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 34 caps) *

Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

MESSAGES->author
Jurassic Man
12 August, 2019 12:13
No Harry Williams ?????

Currychief
Currychief
12 August, 2019 14:29
2 steps backwards. In terms of temperament, keeping the old guard could be Englandís undoing.
I really feel for Harry. Exeterís benefit for sure though.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
12 August, 2019 14:50
Feel gutted for Harry, thought he gave us the edge in the scrum when he came on, but there are three more warm up games and, whilst not wishing an injury to anyone, it can happen! I think he is a better aground player than Cole!

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
12 August, 2019 14:58
Yep, he just needs to keep his phone on. There's tough game time between now and when the plane leaves.

Zyder head
Zyder head
12 August, 2019 15:21
Only 2 tightheads in the squad?
No games off for Cole/ Sinckler then? They will have to play every game between them and no games off unless they play 80 minutes at a time? Hardly ideal although I know Cole plays long shifts for Tigers I don't like the idea of him doing it in Japan personally.
I don't know that Mako,Marler or Genge play the other side unless someone knows more than me?
Gutted for big H and seems a bit short sighted to me.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
12 August, 2019 16:43
No Williams or Moon, yet we have Marler and Cole !!!
No Devoto, yet we have Francis !!!!

Englandís loss is of course our gain, but I feel very sorry for the above players.
Only 3 Chiefs players is nuts, very odd chap, Eddie Jones !

MESSAGES->author
minuteman
12 August, 2019 17:39
i like the fact we get to keep Hairy and Ben ...but gutted for them .....as others have said i guess their phones are likely being kept close.
for me the biggest omission is Danny Care or Ben Spencer ...i'd have them ahead of Ben and Willi ...then again I've not coached at 4 world cups so am happy to watch and be proved wrong.
Ludlam for me looks a great talent and hope he gets a shot

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
12 August, 2019 17:41
I don't think Mooner was ever gonna go with respect to him and neither Devoto.
However, I'm a bit miffed and he can be aggrieved that Arry isn't in that squad.
As mentioned tho...... Keep the mobile on!

I drink and forget stuff!

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
12 August, 2019 18:40
I thought Ludlam looked very good at both the games at Sandy Park, and he did enough in that first warm-up to book his seat.

I feel for Sam Simmonds too, he was improving so as to be a dead cert on that plane until that injury.

MESSAGES->author
clalan
12 August, 2019 21:05
Limited in too many positions, and Marlers inclusion is a bit of a joke surely. Some very pedestrian old guard in the pack, they could get overwhelmed and left behind. The centers betters have their tackling heads on.

Axe Chief
Axe Chief
13 August, 2019 09:15
I am not too surprised by EJ's selections. To generalise 'big & in your face' , which worked in the game against Wales, but requires plenty of accuracy as pace and stamina will always outweigh.
However if his training sessions go to form and the remaining Internationals are used meaningfully there could be several phone calls. As pointed out there are not that many options in some of the attritional positions.

MESSAGES->author
Chief Little Big Horn
13 August, 2019 10:36
I think all Cole did was throw a Welsh player into the touch judge and gave away a penalty!
Really gutted for 'Arry!

Would you really choose to play Ruaridh McConnochie in a world cup qualifying group game?
If so then would you then next risk him for the further knock out stages? How does that strengthen the squad?

Well I suppose we did use Burgess in a similar fashion in the last World Cup . . . . . . .(Sm159)

ps why no Ben Spencer either?

Wampum
Wampum
13 August, 2019 11:05
If he wins it then all credit but if he doesn't he'll cop a lot of flak. ' Judge me on the WC' - yes we certainly will!

Little Minnie
Little Minnie
15 August, 2019 12:55
The worry is some of Jones' guarded comments in the Telegraph article where he mentions that he was persuaded by the 'other coaches' during a 2 hour 'discussion' that at least one of his selections should be changed and that he still felt uneasy about that. What I would like to know is exactly how much authority has he really had with the selection or is it the old RFU vanguard that ultimately call the shots and it's still smacks to me of some old rugby school inclusions.

SimonG19
SimonG19
15 August, 2019 13:31
Quote:
Little Minnie
The worry is some of Jones' guarded comments in the Telegraph article where he mentions that he was persuaded by the 'other coaches' during a 2 hour 'discussion' that at least one of his selections should be changed and that he still felt uneasy about that. What I would like to know is exactly how much authority has he really had with the selection or is it the old RFU vanguard that ultimately call the shots and it's still smacks to me of some old rugby school inclusions.

If the RFU made the selections then they would probably pick Martin Johnson and Lawrence Dallaglio. I would think the selections are 100% Eddie's albeit after consultation with his coaches.

mommentum
mommentum
18 August, 2019 19:21
my team for the final

Elliot Daly
Jonny May
Henry Slade
Ollie Devoto
Anthony Watson
Owen Farrell
Ben Youngs
Mako Vunipola
Jamie George
Harry Williams
Joe Launchbury
George Kruis
Maro Itoje
Tom Curry
Billy Vunipola

LCD, Genge, Sinckler, Lawes, Wilson, Spencer, Ford, Nowell

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
18 August, 2019 22:07
I`m afraid our Arry dosnt seem to be much in favour atm. Jack to start (if fit) any day.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
20 August, 2019 12:07
So, Chiefs finish top of the League by some way and the England squad contains :

Saracens 8 players
Leicester 6 players
Bath 5 players

I get the Sarries players but 6 x Tigers players, um, where did they finish in the league !!

mommentum
mommentum
20 August, 2019 20:01
Quote:
Broken arrow
So, Chiefs finish top of the League by some way and the England squad contains :
Saracens 8 players
Leicester 6 players
Bath 5 players

I get the Sarries players but 6 x Tigers players, um, where did they finish in the league !!

plus 1

other international teams see what we are about and pick our players like Francis etc, its just England that dont rate our nice players

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net