Latest news:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Saracens and the Salary Cap.
Discussion started by Shouting Prarie Dog (IP Logged), 02 November, 2019 16:51
MESSAGES->author
Shouting Prarie Dog
02 November, 2019 16:51
Apparently the judgement on the alleged salary indescretions at Saracens was/has been deferred thus not upsetting the England players.
The rumour was/is a twenty four point deduction as it is alleged that the cap has been broken at the Allianz stadium for several years.

I am only passing on the rumour. True or not I really don't know.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief
02 November, 2019 18:02
Made I laugh ... And on a day like today .. that is not an easy task .. Thanks Buhy

"Get on Exe"

Zyder head
Zyder head
03 November, 2019 08:54
If my memory serves me right,it was it all swept under the carpet a few years back. It seemed like a big cover up at the time so I guess there were there financial settlements behind the scenes?
Hopefully Premiership Rugby has organised a better investigation this time and things will be transparent now as last time it left more questions than answers.
Innocent til proven guilty but if found guilty it will leave a sour taste in the mouth.
I still get the feeling it will be difficult to win a legal battle against the best legal representation "money" can buy.

How difficult would it be to enforce financial fair play as in football? Surely that has to be the long term goal for all Premiership clubs

MESSAGES->author
Boldeagle
03 November, 2019 10:27
Here's a link to a bit more about it
[www.rugbypass.com]

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
03 November, 2019 10:41
In TRP this morning Fissler reckons Liam Williams could be heading back to Wales with Ospreys or moving to Toulon. Saints are also interested in Joel Kpoku which could help reduce their playing budget if demanded! Premiership Rugby is expected to announce their decision on Monday or Tuesday.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
03 November, 2019 14:13
I was aware the impression that the decision was to keep a button on any decision made until after the World Cup was over. But was expecting nothing to come of it and there to be no public decisions or announcements with Saracens to suddenly go over all Trumpian denying everything under the sun.... Like they did previously..

Scuff
Scuff
05 November, 2019 10:55
35 point deduction and a 5 million fine. Wow. I imagine they'll appeal, but I wasn't expecting such a strong response.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks
05 November, 2019 11:10
Well I'm going to count that as a moral victory in last year's final then...

CullyChief
CullyChief
05 November, 2019 11:16
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
Well I'm going to count that as a moral victory in last year's final then...

The period covered includes all three of the finals we've lost to them Poking. Just saying.

MESSAGES->author
chiefgrockle
05 November, 2019 11:25
I feel sorry for the fans, but have no sympathy for those in charge who must shoulder the responsibility. it has been pretty obvious for all those years when Sarries were operating at a huge loss each year, that money was no object. Now that they have been found to have broken the rules, will they change ? I would like to think so, but I am not convinced. We need transparency and fair play, otherwise all of the titles and medals that anyone achieves are worthless.

It's been lonesome in the saddle since my horse died

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
05 November, 2019 11:28
BBC sport article

Premiership and European champions Saracens have been docked 35 points for breaching salary cap regulations.

The punishment comes after an investigation into business partnerships between chairman Nigel Wray and some of the club's players.

Saracens have also been fined 5.36m, with the points deduction coming into immediate effect in the Premiership.

The charges relate to a failure to disclose player payments in each of the 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

In the five seasons that Saracens have finished as Premiership champions, a 35-point deduction would have meant they would not have reached the play-offs - but would also not have been relegated.

They would have finished 10th last season had the same punishment been imposed in 2018-19.

Saracens, who have won two of their three Premiership matches so far this season, are entitled to seek a review of the decision by an arbitration body.

The deduction will put them bottom of the table on -26 points before their trip to Gloucester on Saturday.

Premiership Rugby introduced their salary cap in 1999 to ensure the financial viability of all clubs and the competition.

The regulations are also designed to control inflationary pressures on clubs' costs and provide a level playing field for clubs and a competitive Premiership.

andy15
andy15
05 November, 2019 11:35
Simply should be stripped of last two years prem trophies. No debate !!

Feel sorry for our supporters and players across the last two prem finals knowing now that it was never a level playing field.

Owner must take blame - shocking

Scuff
Scuff
05 November, 2019 11:42
Wonder what happens to the players affected? I mean, if the investments have been counted in salary, will they have to take a pay cut to keep under the cap again this year? Some might walk.

It'd destroy the integrity of the league if they are allowed to bust the cap again for the rest of this season.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
05 November, 2019 12:10
My biggest worry is the appeals process could cost the Premiership a fortune in legal fees which will mean less money for the clubs.

MESSAGES->author
Mabolza
05 November, 2019 12:12
Cheque book champions.

They should be stripped of all titles won during the period they were over the cap and the titles should be awarded to the runners up.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
05 November, 2019 12:35
Some have said they feel sorry for the Sarries fans...Well , i feel sorry for us and the rest of the clubs fans from the premiership who have potentially been robbed of success.

I remember only too vividly the hurt and pain of watching our lads fall at the last hurdle at the last two finals.
Im sorry, but i feel for us not them. They can award us the titles if they strip Sarries (which they wont) but you can never take back the days pain at the finals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 12:36 by Toomanychiefs.

Chickamauga
Chickamauga
05 November, 2019 12:43
The fine and points deduction are for the three seasons up to 2018/19, according to the Premiership Rugby statement.
[www.premiershiprugby.com]

I can't imagine that Saracens have drastically cut their salary bill for 2019/20, given that they still consider themselves to have acted within the cap rules. So when do PR carry out another investigation for this season and impose further punishment?

MESSAGES->author
Mabolza
05 November, 2019 13:11
Think of all the money we have spent on tripsa to Twickenham. Transport, hotels tickets etc. to watch Chiefs losing to CHEATS

andy15
andy15
05 November, 2019 13:15
What a sad response from Wray seeking some sympathy

The rest of us are not stupid, by topping up key players remuneration by co investing in property transactions simply takes away the idea by PRL of level playing field where some club owners could not fund.

Its bad enough having 2 marquee players where some owners could pay 5 for a player which is outside some clubs financial constraints, having other special Property arrangements is a BIG step too far.

To suggest English rugby will be hit by this judgement is utter nonsense.

andy15
andy15
05 November, 2019 13:16
I meant 5million in above post

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net