Latest news:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Saracens Hammered
Discussion started by absent chief (IP Logged), 05 November, 2019 11:20
absent chief
absent chief
05 November, 2019 11:20
Hot news 35 point reduction and 5 million quid fine. Blooming hell!!. Some lawyers are going to have a field day on this.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
05 November, 2019 11:26
Article from BBC site:

Premiership and European champions Saracens have been docked 35 points for breaching salary cap regulations.

The punishment comes after an investigation into business partnerships between chairman Nigel Wray and some of the club's players.

Saracens have also been fined £5.36m, with the points deduction coming into immediate effect in the Premiership.

The charges relate to a failure to disclose player payments in each of the 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

In the five seasons that Saracens have finished as Premiership champions, a 35-point deduction would have meant they would not have reached the play-offs - but would also not have been relegated.

They would have finished 10th last season had the same punishment been imposed in 2018-19.

Saracens, who have won two of their three Premiership matches so far this season, are entitled to seek a review of the decision by an arbitration body.

The deduction will put them bottom of the table on -26 points before their trip to Gloucester on Saturday.

Premiership Rugby introduced their salary cap in 1999 to ensure the financial viability of all clubs and the competition.

The regulations are also designed to control inflationary pressures on clubs' costs and provide a level playing field for clubs and a competitive Premiership.

MESSAGES->author
Chief Little Big Horn
05 November, 2019 12:42
If in the Olympics a gold medallist has cheated - does the silver medallist not get the Gold?

Can we have the (our) Prem Cup back to its rightful owners for the last 2 years please Sarries?

(Sm163)

HUGHVILLE
HUGHVILLE
05 November, 2019 13:19
Justice st last. How can you get satisfaction on winning premierships knowing full well that Cynical and deliberately bending the rules to prevent a level playing field with other clubs
has gone on for years. Justice at last. It was obvious with the number of star players in the squad. Now need to be stripped of their last 3 premiership wins and then ger relegated this season. Cheats never prosper
I feel sorry for their fans but in all honesty thry would have probably turned a blind eye as winning excused everything. How can you have genuine pride in success knowing it was achieved on the back of cheating

MESSAGES->author
Kainai
05 November, 2019 13:27
Very tenuous I know and I am sure this is too far fetched to be realistic but could this have impacted how the England squad played on Saturday? I would be interested to know when this broke internally at Saracens and did it coincide with Ben Spencer flying out to Japan?

South Africa were excellent and deserved winners. England were dominated at set piece but it felt like we were a touch off form.

I am sure the squad are professional enough for something like this not to impact them but it broke in the press that the announcement was being deferred not to upset the squad prior to the final being played from what I have read elsewhere?

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice
05 November, 2019 13:42
Quote:
Kainai
Very tenuous I know and I am sure this is too far fetched to be realistic but could this have impacted how the England squad played on Saturday? I would be interested to know when this broke internally at Saracens and did it coincide with Ben Spencer flying out to Japan?
South Africa were excellent and deserved winners. England were dominated at set piece but it felt like we were a touch off form.

I am sure the squad are professional enough for something like this not to impact them but it broke in the press that the announcement was being deferred not to upset the squad prior to the final being played from what I have read elsewhere?

Given the news that the Saracens FD stepped aside was released during the semi final, it is certainly not unreasonable to suppose that the Saracens management knew what was incoming - whether that was kept from the players is a different question, but it does raise questions I'd agree.

Master Chief
Master Chief
05 November, 2019 15:00
35 point deduction and 5m fine suggests serious wrongdoing. But, the new money coming into the Prem will pay the fine. Meanwhile, they won’t be relegated (based upon previous seasons’ points totals), will compete with the same squad and will keep their titles.

SimonG19
SimonG19
05 November, 2019 15:11
Now everyone know you were the true champions for the past two years at least.

If only you could sue for loss of titles, earnings etc.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
05 November, 2019 15:40
A crazy day to be a Premiership rugby fan...won't make up for previous seasons but that's their current title defence toasted certainly. Now let's see who can take advantage.

MESSAGES->author
Shouting Prarie Dog
06 November, 2019 21:41
I'm sure the shed will be most understanding of sarries plight on Saturday. Rumour has it that Nigel Wray cannot attend the match due to a previous appointment.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net