Latest news:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Mid season audit....
Discussion started by Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged), 26 November, 2019 15:15
Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
26 November, 2019 15:15
There's talk of the above being requested.
Personally I'd welcome it, it would give Saracens and NW the opportunity to show they are currently operating within the cap and all clubs should take part and make it a regular thing... Then the game can move on from this current distasteful situation.

I drink and forget stuff!

Heavitree Chief
ExeterFan
26 November, 2019 15:52
Transfer window - Friday before the first competitive fixture (Prem Cup/League - whichever it is).
Audit all clubs immediately after.
Further 2 week transfer window in January. Audit of all clubs who sign/sell.
Audit all at the end of the regular season before play-offs.
Signings allowed from day after the Premiership Final.
Injury cover to be provided by Academy players or under 23's from local clubs/Universities rather than bringing in an international to cover.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
26 November, 2019 17:40
But the annual salary cap includes such things as players involved in Senior EPS and Internationals, for which they earn their club 'credits' against the SC for matches played or un-selectability.

This is why true compliance with the SC can only happen at the end of the season, when salaries, benefits and credits can all be tallied up.

That is why Wasps were fined for the 2016-2017 season, because at the end of the season, they hadn't earnt as many credits as they projected, which took them slightly over the SC.

It's not as simple as adding up players wages.

2018-2019 Salary Regs

2019-2020 Regs

edited to add latest Regs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2019 20:39 by Tribester.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
26 November, 2019 22:10
Not just mid season audits, but all clubs should be subject to random spot checks of their books without notice. Those who are in compliance of the rules should therefore have nothing to fear from this.

Marlow Nick
Marlow Nick
30 November, 2019 18:49
The problem is that the additional payments are not likely to be on the books so how will an audit find them? My guess is that Saracens accounts and salary cap reports are 100% clean. That does not mean I believe these are the only financial incentives the players are receiving

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2019 18:55 by Marlow Nick.

Littledeepea
Otter Supper
30 November, 2019 19:50
Quote:
Marlow Nick
The problem is that the additional payments are not likely to be on the books so how will an audit find them?

The suggestion seems to be that Sarries are paying on the books their stars a lower salary whilst making up the difference off the books

Section 6.5 of the PRL Salary Cap Regs allows the SCM to apply appropriate commercial terms (i.e. market value) to any player if he feels that the salary being shown as paid is below the value that he considers market value of that player.

Details as in link by Tribester above. His link is to 2018/19 season but same applies for this season.

Statesman
Statesman
30 November, 2019 20:14
Quote:
Otter Supper
Quote:
Marlow Nick
The problem is that the additional payments are not likely to be on the books so how will an audit find them?

The suggestion seems to be that Sarries are paying on the books their stars a lower salary whilst making up the difference off the books

Section 6.5 of the PRL Salary Cap Regs allows the SCM to apply appropriate commercial terms (i.e. market value) to any player if he feels that the salary being shown as paid is below the value that he considers market value of that player.

Details as in link by Tribester above. His link is to 2018/19 season but same applies for this season.

Correct and a very good point! Iím willing to bet that the SCM has never adjusted the Cap Salary of a player using these powers.

Littledeepea
Otter Supper
30 November, 2019 20:26
Maybe never used those powers before but perhaps the pressure from other clubs will force his hand.

We wait, but l'm not holding my breath.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net