Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Injuries and the six nations
Discussion started by cornwallchief (IP Logged), 20 January, 2020 17:35
cornwallchief
cornwallchief
20 January, 2020 17:35
With Jack Nowell and Henry Slade both on the injured list for a while and the six nations call up of
Ollie Devoto three of our most creative backs are sidelined. From memory Alex Cuthbert is also out at present. Lets hope Tom O'flaherty gets safely through the braves game - we are going to need him back firing on all cylinders especially as neither Ian Whitten or Sam Hill are natural wingers. We also need a return to form for Olly Woodburn. Penetration in our backline may be an issue - this weeks selection will be really interesting - perhaps Bodilly or Hendrickson will get a start. Really gutted for another injury for Jack Nowell

Comanche Chief
Comanche Chief
20 January, 2020 22:20
Quote:
cornwallchief
With Jack Nowell and Henry Slade both on the injured list for a while and the six nations call up of
Ollie Devoto three of our most creative backs are sidelined. From memory Alex Cuthbert is also out at present. Lets hope Tom O'flaherty gets safely through the braves game - we are going to need him back firing on all cylinders especially as neither Ian Whitten or Sam Hill are natural wingers. We also need a return to form for Olly Woodburn. Penetration in our backline may be an issue - this weeks selection will be really interesting - perhaps Bodilly or Hendrickson will get a start. Really gutted for another injury for Jack Nowell

James Short perhaps? I wonder what he has done wrong?
James Short

Master Chief
Master Chief
20 January, 2020 22:28
How long is Jack out for? sad smiley

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
20 January, 2020 23:24
Hi Master Chief = i think an ankle operation could mean at least two or three months. Hope I wrong.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
21 January, 2020 08:23
Did Jack just not recover from an ankle problem?
Slightly concerning if it's the same ankle.

I drink and forget stuff!

John Tee
John Tee
21 January, 2020 10:04
I didnt think he was fit for the rwc....did he play much after that?

Axe Chief
Axe Chief
21 January, 2020 10:23
Proves yet again how important Whits is to the club. Even with the club having two national and one international centres I believe for some time he has been one of the first names on the team sheet .
Strong as an ox, resilient, adaptable, 80+ minute player and if you have ever met him a thoroughly nice bloke, but I don't think he knows how to kick a ball!
A probable reflection of the crisis(?) Rob has in his backs was shown last night. Hendickson and O'Flaherty only played 40mins, and the latter didn't really get too involved. Bodily played the whole game and showed some very good, and also pretty poor, contributions.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
21 January, 2020 10:44
+1 re Whit's.
I too think Jack hadn't been fully fit since that horrible injury in the final last season. We commented recently on how almost subdued Jack has been since he has been back.

Osmium
Osmium
21 January, 2020 10:46
Speaking of last night, and of Tom Hendrickson, I wasn't able to be there, but followed it on twitter. Does anyone who was there know why the bench was used in the way it was? It seems Rus Tuima came on to replace Harvey Skinner, presumably because all the backs had already been used, in particular Sam Morley for Tom Hendrickson. Left me wondering if Hendrickson was injured?

andy15
andy15
21 January, 2020 10:52
Yes very strange the position re James Short. He scored tries for fun in the premiership, now does in the A league has pace to burn something we don't have in our backs (exc Hogg & ToF) and never gets a look in - ????

Axe Chief
Axe Chief
21 January, 2020 10:55
Only speculation on my part, but maybe Tuima wasn't fully fit. The substitution of Sam Skinner [No.8] was taken by South, and when Tuima eventually came on for Harvey Skinner he 'wandered' around at centre and never got too involved!

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
21 January, 2020 13:34
Just a thought,
If we are really stuck, I would love to see Kvesic at 8 and Sam Simmonds at centre ??? or even on the wing ??

Osmium
Osmium
21 January, 2020 15:25
Quote:
Axe Chief
Only speculation on my part, but maybe Tuima wasn't fully fit. The substitution of Sam Skinner [No.8] was taken by South, and when Tuima eventually came on for Harvey Skinner he 'wandered' around at centre and never got too involved!

Thanks for your thoughts, sounds entirely feasible. Let's hope that was it, we may need Tom this weekend!

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice
21 January, 2020 19:55
Hendrickson will be 24th man on Sat I'd have thought, with Whitts going off injured, he may even play, but needs to be fresh enough in the event whitten drops out late on.

Harvey Skinner limped off which could be an issue with Joe S likely to have a 3 week break. Steeno will obviously start, but we don't have much fly half cover in the side with Slade and devoto out. Maybe dolly will have to step in, or perhaps Hogg as cover for this week anyway?

Master Chief
Master Chief
22 January, 2020 07:56
Sounds like we could be missing the following for Saturday..

Stuart Hogg
Jack Nowell
Alex Cuthbert
Henry Slade
Ollie Devoto
Ian Whitten (?)
Joe Simmonds
Harvey Skinner
Nic White
Luke Cowan-Dickie
Jack Yeandle
Harry Williams
Tomas Francis
Greg Holmes

And we have Sam Skinner and Tom O’Flaherty back with only 40mins of rugby in them.

(Edited to add Captain Jack!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2020 18:21 by Master Chief.

Osmium
Osmium
22 January, 2020 14:20
+ Jack Yeandle. :-(

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
23 January, 2020 00:21
Hi Toomanychiefs,
I also agree jack does not been quite the force he was since his terrible final injury. This is perhaps no surprise as since then he has not had any long period of being fit again to regain his form. indeed he said in a video his main wish was to stay fit. I also think it might take him 12 months to get back to being as mentally ok again with the bodily assault the players take and to some extent dread. Reading Sam Warburton's book was an eye opener for me. This is especially the case with Jack who places his head where many backs do not. He had that eye socket injury which was obviously agony at the time. It took Henry at least a year to get back to his best when he started playing again after his savage ankle injury it seemed to me it took that long for his mental courage and confidence to return. If Jack is not right and needs an operation it might be a blessing in disguise that he has avoided the dreaded Eddie Jones training where so many injuries seem to happen or are exposed or exacerbated. I have every faith in the chiefs medical and conditioning set up but it might be next year till we see him functioning fully at 100% no matter how much we and especially Jack want it.

Wampum
Wampum
24 January, 2020 11:06
I reckon Dolly might get a game

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net