Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

SARACENS latest
Discussion started by cornwallchief (IP Logged), 28 January, 2020 16:08
cornwallchief
cornwallchief
28 January, 2020 16:08
Griffiths resigns!

Chief Sitting Down
Chief Sitting Down
28 January, 2020 18:02
Saracens interim chief executive Edward Griffiths has resigned less than a month after taking on the role.

Griffiths was appointed for a 12-month period at the start of the year in the middle of the salary cap scandal.

The club will be relegated from the Premiership this summer after being unable to prove they could meet the £7m cap on wages for a fourth season.

The English champions were docked 35 points and fined £5.36m for breaching the cap between 2016 and 2019.

What we learned from the Premiership Rugby report into Saracens
Full Premier Rugby report into Saracens' salary cap breaches
'We should have been far better' - Wray sorry for Saracens approach to salary cap
'The most remarkable scandal in the domestic game'
Having previously been the club's CEO for seven years, Griffiths returned after former chairman Nigel Wray retired following revelations that the businessman entered into co-investments with a number of Saracens' top stars, which were not declared.

The full report into breaches between 2016 and 2019 was released last week and showed that the club overspent by more than £1.1m in 2016-17; £98,000 in 2017-18; and £906,000 in 2018-19.

However, one of the players involved, former England winger Chris Ashton, told the BBC Rugby Union weekly podcast on Monday that he felt Wray's investment in a property with him "was completely separate to the rugby".

New Saracens chairman Neil Golding said in a statement: "The club is very grateful to Edward for temporarily stepping away from his other commitments to provide significant assistance during a difficult period, and wishes him well in the future."

Griffiths added: "This was always going to be a very short-term appointment, and others are well-placed to drive forward the rebuilding of the club."

Analysis
BBC Sports news reporter Laura Scott

When Saracens first announced that Griffiths would be coming in as interim chief executive on 2 January, it was for a 12-month period. His resignation after 26 days is therefore much earlier than had been expected by the club.

At the start of those 26 days, Griffiths publicly spoke of his determination to get Saracens within the salary cap for this season, and said that he was carrying out a scoping exercise to establish how that would work.

However, he has been open since then of how difficult that was, and Saracens were hit with relegation for next season after being unable to prove compliance this season.

In his short tenure, he also reacted angrily to press outside the club and it was reported he is the subject of an ECB inquiry for allegations about him acting as an unregistered agent. He denies any wrongdoing.

Griffiths' departure from the club comes as discussions are ongoing about the future of players and the club continues to comes to terms with its relegation.

New Saracens chairman Neil Golding appears keen to get someone permanent as soon as possible to offer stability at the club after a troubling few months

SimonG19
SimonG19
28 January, 2020 21:31
Good riddance to bad rubbish

Man from LA
Man from LA
28 January, 2020 21:57
The Mirror have a piece online about the 70 point deduction and in it they say about Griffiths: 'He “emphatically” denies being responsible for the leak of the report into Saracens’ breaches, which appeared without players’ names redacted.'

Apart from the odd rumour, this is the first time I've heard from a newspaper someone at Saracens being connected to the leak.

MESSAGES->author
Chief Little Big Horn
29 January, 2020 11:57
England winger Chris Ashton, told the BBC Rugby Union weekly podcast on Monday that he felt Wray's investment in a property with him "was completely separate to the rugby". (Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)
I suspect, had it not been for Saracens rugby they may never have been involved in a property co-investment.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
30 January, 2020 19:01
Quote:
Chief Little Big Horn
England winger Chris Ashton, told the BBC Rugby Union weekly podcast on Monday that he felt Wray's investment in a property with him "was completely separate to the rugby". (Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22) I suspect, had it not been for Saracens rugby they may never have been involved in a property co-investment.

Because Nigel Wray does deals like that with members of the public also... Who's Ashton trying to kid?, He would never have made that deal with NW if he wasn't under contact with Sarries.

MESSAGES->author
Shouting Prarie Dog
01 February, 2020 18:03
From the Saracens forum.

Quote:
Honestly, rugby union can just go @#$%& off and die. I love my club. I loved the sport. But it’s died a death.
Most corrupt sport in the world. On all parts.

Just how I feel, really. Can't be bothered to watch it anymore....

Oh the irony! (Sm103)

Just a rugby club from Devon.
We know who we be.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

Exiled Falcon
Exiled Falcon
01 February, 2020 22:03
Quote:
Man from LA
The Mirror have a piece online about the 70 point deduction and in it they say about Griffiths: 'He “emphatically” denies being responsible for the leak of the report into Saracens’ breaches, which appeared without players’ names redacted.'
Apart from the odd rumour, this is the first time I've heard from a newspaper someone at Saracens being connected to the leak.

The Mirror, seriously, like most red tops they couldn’t give a flying one about anything other than football 99.9999% of the time.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer
12 February, 2020 10:53
I understand Allianz are to pull the plug on their £2 million sponsorship. Someone said it is in the FT. Without the support of the biggest sponsorship deal in the Premiership and without a suitable replacement, they are in deep trouble. If so, unless the benelovant My Wray can come up with the shortfall, Salarians could go under, and certainly cannot maintain their existing staff and salary levels, legal and within the Prem rules or not.

This whole episode is an illustration and salutary lesson to any club who are or considering breaking the rules that have been put in place for the benefit and sustainability of all the clubs. Without these regulations, we would not have a viable competition and shows the importance of the rules.

If they do go under, I personally hope they can begin again like Richmond and London Welsh, and become a proper honest rugby club who I had the pleasure of playing against in the dark ages nearly 40 years ago.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net