Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Sarries to be kicked out of Europe too?
Discussion started by Tom A Hawk (IP Logged), 07 February, 2020 16:45
MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
07 February, 2020 16:45
This time they fielded an ineligible player in Europe.

Planet Rugby Reports:

Quote:
Planet Rugby -
[www.planetrugby.com

]"Saracens are in danger of being punished again after it emerged that Titi Lamositele may have been ineligible to play against Racing 92.

The European champions are subject to a misconduct complaint after the tournament organisers were informed by Saracens that United States international prop Lamositele’s work permit expired the day before their 27-24 victory at Allianz Park.

Although there is no precedent for this sort of administrative error, French club Grenoble were heavily punished for fielding an ineligible player against London Welsh in the 2012/13 Challenge Cup.

Grenoble, who won the game 20-9, were deducted four match points as London Welsh were awarded a 28-0 victory.

Saracens finished second in their Champions Cup group last month to secure an away quarter-final at Leinster on April 4.

But if the 27-24 victory against Racing, which pushed Glasgow Warriors out of the final Champions Cup quarter-final spot, is overturned, or Saracens are docked at least two match points, then they would be out of the competition."

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
07 February, 2020 17:57
What a mess, if correct then Sarries win over Racing cost the French team a home quarter final tie.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
07 February, 2020 18:12
Not forgetting it also affected Glasgow.
You’d think the club would know about the work permit ....took a chance in playing him or just another act of ‘we can do as we wish’!?

I drink and forget stuff!

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
07 February, 2020 18:25
Apparently Titi Lamositele's work permit expired the day before the game, he was eligible at the time of selection on the Friday. But by the time the game kicked off on the Sunday his work permit had expired and would therefore have been ineligible to play. Saracens have admitted it was an "inadvertent administrative error on behalf of the club." as it sounds like they reported this themselves to the EPCR.

Bear in the mind that the EPRC never actually punished Saracens for skipping their press responsibilities earlier in the season and have only said that they would consider their responce, so this might come back to bite Saracens now.

goss8800
Chief Fire Water
07 February, 2020 18:26
They cant help themselves.

EXDJ
EXDJ
07 February, 2020 18:32
And if EPCR throw the book at Sarries, then its a 28-0 victory to Racing (which Racing are claiming).

Which puts Racing at second seeds v Northampton. Leinster ply Glasgow. And Chiefs welcome Ulster...

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief
07 February, 2020 18:36
Does anybody have any idea on the timescale for decision to be made public?

EXDJ
EXDJ
07 February, 2020 19:08
Should be tonight- think the hearing is happening now

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
07 February, 2020 19:16
Yep if it isn't announced tonight then it should be announced in the morning.

If Sarries are punished in accordance with previous European administration punishments, that being the result of the game in question is changed to a 28-0 try bonus point loss. Then the European fixtures will therefore change from:

Leinster v Saracens
Exeter v Northampton
Toulouse v Ulster
Clermont v Racing

to:

Leinster v Glasgow
Racing v Northampton
Exeter v Ulster
Toulouse v Clermont

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief
07 February, 2020 19:54
Thanks EXDJ & TAH

Interesting times indeed

"Get on Exe"

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
07 February, 2020 21:00
If like us tickets have been sold for all the ‘original’ fixtures, there’s gonna be some issues there!!

I drink and forget stuff!

EXDJ
EXDJ
07 February, 2020 21:23
Just announced - fine only, no change to fixtures

Zyder head
Zyder head
07 February, 2020 21:40
You sort of get the feeling that nobody could be arsed to change anything as the 1/4 final fixtures had already been announced.
A fine is just a token punishment, doesn't mean anything......
Rules are rules except when they are not.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
07 February, 2020 21:42
That was close for Sarries but we can’t talk as I remember us getting work permits wrong at least once.

Exeforever
Exeforever
07 February, 2020 22:29
Yes but we got deducted 2 points. All of the precedents are that Saracens should have forfeited the game. The fact that the panel chose not to is more about the already-made arrangements for the QFs than about natural justice, IMO. I don't know if Racing have a right of appeal but if I were their owner I would be consulting "m'learned friends".

None of this is good for rugby however; and once again it is Saracens f*****g things up; as if they hadn't already damaged the game enough...

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
07 February, 2020 22:29
Cock up rather than conspiracy. Not a surprise perhaps in amongst the chaos. I think fine probably just. Think we have had a similar problem once. Sorry if anybody thinks they are being let off - hope Leinster smash them.

Zyder head
Zyder head
07 February, 2020 22:48
In any other year the hearing tonight may well have had a different outcome imo.
I dont expect it was intentional on the part of Saracens,I doubt it made any difference in the result of the game in question but if a fine is the punishment does it now give other clubs the chance to chance their arm?
It may be immaterial to Saracens as they face a difficult task away to Leinster but it is definitely not immaterial to Racing!
Could be a legal challenge on the way??

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
08 February, 2020 00:19
Its likely for the best as you would expect that Saints, Saracens and Ulster and Racing would have already arranged and booked transport and accommodation close to their opponents. Cancelling and rescheduling not just for the clubs, but for the fans would have been an annoyance. Especially considering fans would likely have also already purchased tickets too.

The main loser though is Racing who I don't doubt will be annoyed with this decision, so if any appeal is launched to this decision I do reckon it would come from them. Only purely because I reckon that they would have fancied a home tie against Northampton more than an away trip to Clermont.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net