Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Premiership suspended
Discussion started by Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged), 16 March, 2020 18:39
Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
16 March, 2020 18:39
[www.exeterchiefs.co.uk]

I drink and forget stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2020 19:01 by Jehovas Sandals.

goss8800
Chief Fire Water
16 March, 2020 19:21
Not surprised. I feel it will be longer.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
16 March, 2020 19:42
Me too.

mommentum
mommentum
16 March, 2020 21:32
It does not make any sense to stop playing now, in 5 or 8 weeks time lots of players and ground staff may be to ill to work. just as it is right not to shut the schools until they run out of teachers. They need to make sure all the players and staff get it now in the shut down time.

We are all going to get it but to 95% of the population it will be no worse than man flu. It is right that the people who have a flu jab keep themselves out of danger until a covid 19 jab is ready.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
16 March, 2020 21:43
With the suspension of the season due to Corona. How do the players train? Will training go on as normal? Lots of people in the same place, full contact etc.Gov advising against close contact. Difficult one.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
16 March, 2020 22:00
Quote:
Toomanychiefs
With the suspension of the season due to Corona. How do the players train? Will training go on as normal? Lots of people in the same place, full contact etc.Gov advising against close contact. Difficult one.

Training is cancelled, onus will be on players to maintain their own fitness.

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
16 March, 2020 23:37
Quote:
mommentum
It does not make any sense to stop playing now, in 5 or 8 weeks time lots of players and ground staff may be to ill to work. just as it is right not to shut the schools until they run out of teachers. They need to make sure all the players and staff get it now in the shut down time.
We are all going to get it but to 95% of the population it will be no worse than man flu. It is right that the people who have a flu jab keep themselves out of danger until a covid 19 jab is ready.

Sorry Mommentum - Your post must be a joke. Hopefully as few as possible will get it. If 80% get it - the worst possible that is perhaps 45 million people. With a mortality rate of 1% that would be 450,000 deaths. If the NHS collapsed a mortality rate would go up and perhaps 1 million people might die over the next year. I have seen several people die with the flu - this is perhaps 10 times the death rate of normal flu. It is a catastrophe for humanity in general from a health point o.f view.
The Covid jab will not be here before the second round appears next Autumn /Winter.

MESSAGES->author
Black Hawk
17 March, 2020 19:29
Just wondering how the suspensions of players such as Ollie Devoto, Manu Tuilagi and Joe Marler works with the current suspension of premiership games?

Are banned players suspended for X number of weeks, or X number of games?

For example, if the premiership resumes after a 5 week suspension, will Tuilagi's 4 week ban have expired, or will his 4 week ban only start once games re-commence?

Exeforever
Exeforever
17 March, 2020 21:54
Surely the answer lies in whether it is 'weeks' or 'games'. Normally these bans are for periods of time not number of games. Devoto, for example was quoted as missing "x" games because he had been banned for 4 weeks , not banned for the next "y" games that the club played.

With the current suspension of games all players banned for less than 4 weeks from today would be eligible to play in the next game IF IF IF we restart playing on April 20th which IMO isn't going to happen. I suspect that Marler will be free to play long before the Premiership resumes, if the governing criteria are public health rather than Club income.

MESSAGES->author
Shouting Prarie Dog
17 March, 2020 22:23
Quote:
mommentum

If this is a joke its in very poor taste. If it isn't its the ramblings of an ill-informed idiot.

Just a rugby club from Devon.
We know who we be.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
18 March, 2020 11:59
Agree with what you say Prairie Dog but let's not sink to insults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/03/2020 16:56 by Toomanychiefs.

Master Chief
Master Chief
18 March, 2020 15:11
Let me first state that people’s health and well-being comes first.

But as rugby forum I’d like to discuss the impact of the pandemic on rugby.

IMHO IF the season is cancelled i think it is unlikely we will be awarded the title. And even if were, are I am not sure we would feel like we deserved it. And neither would anyone else.

But it could another serious hammer blow to Exeter. Three, THREE, seasons in row!! For two of those we were robbed of the title bt a salary cap cheating Saracens (who have been able to keep the titles).. and for another season denied by a global pandemic!

Clubs fortunes come and go and every team has their period at the top, eg Leicester and Wasps etc. This is ours, but for one reason or another we are not quite reaping the (IMHO just) reward.

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
18 March, 2020 16:12
Hi Master Chief
Agree with the sentiment that we have been unlucky and I think it possible that we have seen all the rugby we are going to see this season - in which case nobody will be awarded the title.
For the future we are already seeing very understandable concerns re the season ticket holders. I also fear for the viability of clubs especially as many are totally dependent on rich benefactors. We have just lost one of our biggest sponsors and gate receipts with associated income. Only the Chief's were operating at a profit. it is likely that the money generated from internationals will be well down this year. Business sponsors in a recession may be hard to find. The banks are never friendly in a recession. I do not think the current wage structure of the players will be viable next year for many clubs. We are certainly going to need Tony Rowe and Rob Baxter's skills during the next twelve months. IMO the relationship between the management, coaches,players and fans in all the clubs will be sorely tested. As far as an outsider can tell we are in a good a place as any to adjust to the changes that IMO will have to come.

MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad
21 March, 2020 13:04
Quote:
cornwallchief
As far as an outsider can tell we are in a good a place as any to adjust to the changes that IMO will have to come.

It is worrying that we've lost a major sponsor at this time, but you're quite right, we appear to be in much better shape than many. Other sports are far less viable ...

On the subject of the suspensions, I recall hearing Chris Ashton telling of his 'history' regarding bans and understand that the ban 'pauses' during the closed season. I'd anticipate the same situation will be applied now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net