Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

The Rugby Paper 22 March 20
Discussion started by Lowerwatha (IP Logged), 22 March, 2020 10:39
MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
22 March, 2020 10:39
Bit thin as you can imagine but some good articles on Tomas Francis and Jack Nowell.

Tomas’s injury sustained in a tackle on Duane Vermeulen, sounds horrific, “The labrum, the part which reinforces the ball and socket, hadn’t merely been torn but torn to a grotesque angle of 270 degrees” the worry is that his contract with Chiefs is up at the end of the season and, as he has less than 60 caps, he would have to move to a Welsh club to play for Wales. There I talk of reducing the 60 Cap rule so let’s keep our fingers crossed!

The feature on Jack talks about his fantastic try against Argentina and reveals he tort his hamstring in scoring it. It also says he has had a recovery suite built at his home in which there is an ice bath and a sauna ! There’s dedication for you.

There is also a good article on Jonny Hill and his development of Rib Tickler cider!

As said the paper is a bit thin but there are some great articles about past games and players!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/03/2020 10:55 by Lowerwatha.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
22 March, 2020 17:39
I though with Tomas, he hasn't been signing a 'new' contract with Chiefs, but has been 'extending' his current contract, and therefore sidesteps the Gatland Law on caps/Welsh Club.

I'm sure he can 'extend' again, and remain at Ex.

Little Minnie
Little Minnie
23 March, 2020 12:42
I think that is right Tribester - his original contract meant that he would always be allowed to play for Wales as long as he 'extends' his Exeter contract. Good piece of negotiating that was (Sm128)

Axe Chief
Axe Chief
23 March, 2020 15:04
I, and possibly Tomas, hope your theory is correct, but the article in Walesonline yesterday had this quote..............
Last April, Francis activated a clause in his Exeter contract which allowed him to remain at the Gallagher Premiership giants until 2021, while still being eligible to carry on his international career with Wales.

The 60-cap rule didn't apply as it was a clause enacted in a current deal rather than signing a new one, but the contract comes to an end next year.
............... which 'sort of implies' that it was a once off, as opposed to continuous.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
24 March, 2020 13:58
Quote:
Axe Chief
I, and possibly Tomas, hope your theory is correct, but the article in Walesonline yesterday had this quote..............
Last April, Francis activated a clause in his Exeter contract which allowed him to remain at the Gallagher Premiership giants until 2021, while still being eligible to carry on his international career with Wales.

The 60-cap rule didn't apply as it was a clause enacted in a current deal rather than signing a new one, but the contract comes to an end next year.
............... which 'sort of implies' that it was a once off, as opposed to continuous.

It was reported that there was some large offers from Wales last time and it wouldn't if the same was true again. Extending the contract doesn't normally come with a pay rise so it wouldn't shock me if there is a new deal on the table this time around.

As an aside I had heard that it was expected that Pivac is expected to be lowering the threshold for Caps. That alone might be a nice prompt for Tomas to remain in Devon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net