Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Update for Season Ticket Holders
Discussion started by Tom A Hawk (IP Logged), 28 May, 2020 10:29
MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
28 May, 2020 10:29
The Club has posted the following message on the Offy:

Quote:
Mark Stevens
Exeter Rugby Club value the backing of all its supporters, especially as we look to get back to some kind of normality as the Covid-19 pandemic has affected so many people around the world.
Match-days at Sandy Park are always great occasions for supporters of all ages. However, in the event that the remaining home games in the 2019/20 season are played behind closed doors, we wish to offer the following information to those of you who have purchased tickets for any Chiefs games.

We have every desire to play out the remaining games, but currently no decision has been made in regard to the staging of the Gallagher Premiership home fixtures against Leicester Tigers, Worcester Warriors, Gloucester and London Irish, nor the Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final against Northampton Saints.

That said, we have put into place the following contingency plan for Season Ticket Holders and those who have purchased match tickets.

> Credit Note a credit to your online account, which can be redeemed against future ticketing purchases.

> Gift to the Club Many of you have asked us how you could help at this time and if there might be an option for you to gift your refund to the club. This is an unbelievably generous and thoughtful gesture, so thank-you on behalf of everyone at the club. If you are in the position to do so and would like, you have the option to gift your credit to the club. In doing so you would help us to navigate through these extraordinarily challenging times.

> Refund receive a full refund, paid to you automatically via your original payment method.
Please note that the reimbursement policy will only be applicable to matches that are cancelled or have to be played behind closed doors and will be activated once we are able to confirm completion of the 2019/20 season.

Exeter Rugby Club chairman and chief executive, Tony Rowe OBE, said: As a club we want to thank-you for all of your support during these incredibly testing times for all of us. We know we will return stronger than ever and are desperately looking forward to getting back and enjoying rugby with you all, as soon as we can.In the meantime, please stay safe.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
28 May, 2020 12:38
Does anyone have any idea how this'll work? how much 'credit' is a cancelled Premiership match worth for an ETC season ticket holder?
Clearly it won't be an 11th of a season ticket price, because the ST includes friendlies/Braves/Euros etc.

I don't mind leaving my money with the club as credit, if it helps, I'm not wealthy enough to make gifts! but as I'm already paying for the 2020/21 season ticket, the only matches I have to pay cash for, are quarter finals. It might take me a while to use up the credit for the 5 outstanding games, unless I can use it at the bar!

tboullem
Aberavon Wizard
28 May, 2020 13:08
Well done Chiefs for putting out what appears to be a very acceptable list of options. Hopefully my club will be following suit shortly.

Keep Safe

Aberavon Wizard
Franklins Gardens

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2020 13:11 by Aberavon Wizard.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
28 May, 2020 13:50
I would assume when the decision is made concerning if the league is to be cancelled or played behind closed doors then we would be given the chance to make a decision on the above.

I can only assume they are holding back on letting us make the decision until its actually officially confirmed that no further games will be played at SP this season.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
28 May, 2020 15:27
I'm happy with the credit idea or at a pinch could donate to the club.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
28 May, 2020 17:46
Its good to get some communication about this.
Its probably been triggered by the fact that full contact training has been okd now and the clubs are looking to crack on.

As Season Ticket Holders we arent likely to buy tickets until the later stages of competitions so a credit note for myself personally is not an option.
Id probably opt for the refund and put towards paying towards the new seasons Season Ticket which I also see as supporting the club.
The amount of refund would be interesting as has been stated it would be a percentage figure of the full price Id imagine.
(Any mathematicians care to work that out for us?

I drink and forget stuff!

Garnett
Garnett
28 May, 2020 20:05
I think it is a shame that they did not consider the idea of allowing people to have membership in lieu of a refund or Life membership if already and existing member. Even more disappointing that it wasn't worth a reply.

In the context of the payments I have made for next year and the low chance of the games happening as planned then I think it is better in my account than the clubs.
I see that football have been paid by BT Sport for the rest of the season as a good will gesture. They haven't yet offered Rugby the same gesture. It is important as without it we are an 8 club league.

I think we will still be paying behind closed doors and this keeps the pressure on.

Garnett

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
29 May, 2020 16:41
Personally Garnett I wouldn't be interested in membership at that price,and one of the reasons is as you stated, they couldn't even be bothered to reply to you. I see no advantage in being a member apart from getting a lanyard with 'member'printed in it!

Garnett
Garnett
29 May, 2020 19:25
International Tickets and our own bar but I take the point. Most people use their membership to moan about the price of pasties. It will be interesting post TR. I dont think whoever succeeds him will be allowed the freedom he has enjoyed.

Exeforever
Exeforever
30 May, 2020 13:16
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Its good to get some communication about this.
Its probably been triggered by the fact that full contact training has been okd now and the clubs are looking to crack on.

As Season Ticket Holders we arent likely to buy tickets until the later stages of competitions so a credit note for myself personally is not an option.
Id probably opt for the refund and put towards paying towards the new seasons Season Ticket which I also see as supporting the club.
The amount of refund would be interesting as has been stated it would be a percentage figure of the full price Id imagine.
(Any mathematicians care to work that out for us?

It was 24 games this season of which 4 Prem and 2 Braves have been postponed so far so divide your ST by 24 and multiply by 6 which for a West Grandstand centre ticket is about 180 when you take off your membership from the overall total

I appreciate that not everyone can afford, or wishes, to donate that amount to the Club but as a pensioner my income hasn't been affected, I've saved money on travel costs and SP food etc prices and I want to see the Club prosper as well as survive so shan't be asking for a refund.

I am surprised that they are also offering a refund for the European QF as it says as clear as day on the ticket that "should the match be cancelled...no money will be refunded" so well done to the Club on offering a refund.

It would be interesting to know how much of that price went to the Club and how much to EPRC to whom I have no desire to give a donation!

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
30 May, 2020 17:01
ST covers home games only, so it's not 24 Prem games, and we don't play ourselves, so it covers 11 home Prem games.

The Club info says ST ''Includes access to 18 home games (two Pre-Season friendlies, 11 Gallagher Premiership, two Premiership Rugby Cup, three European)

I think it's 4 Prem games and 2 Braves games now cancelled.

But until someone puts a value on Friendly and Braves games we'll only be guessing.

We'll wait and see.

MESSAGES->author
ouch!_that_hurts
30 May, 2020 17:33
"I am surprised that they are also offering a refund for the European QF as it says as clear as day on the ticket that "should the match be cancelled...no money will be refunded" so well done to the Club on offering a refund."

I've read somewhere - can't find it at the moment - that you can print what you like on a ticket but the law is quite specific that if an event is cancelled, the ticket price must be refunded. Other costs, such as credit card fees, etc. aren't necessarily included - it all has something to do with whether a service has been delivered.

chieftain
Chieftain
30 May, 2020 18:49
Quote:
Tribester
I don't mind leaving my money with the club as credit, if it helps, I'm not wealthy enough to make gifts! but as I'm already paying for the 2020/21 season ticket, the only matches I have to pay cash for, are quarter finals. It might take me a while to use up the credit for the 5 outstanding games, unless I can use it at the bar!
I had similar thoughts, it will take ages to use up the credit and as I have already paid for next season I feel that I am doing my bit in that respect, so refund for me.

Exeforever
Exeforever
30 May, 2020 22:06
Quote:
Tribester
ST covers home games only, so it's not 24 Prem games, and we don't play ourselves, so it covers 11 home Prem games.
The Club info says ST ''Includes access to 18 home games (two Pre-Season friendlies, 11 Gallagher Premiership, two Premiership Rugby Cup, three European)

But until someone puts a value on Friendly and Braves games we'll only be guessing.

We'll wait and see.

i didn't say it was 24 Prem games but 24 games in total if you add the A league games to the 18 games listed above. The A league games are the league equivalent of the Prem Rugby Cup games so presumably assingned the same "value".

Exeforever
Exeforever
30 May, 2020 22:18
Quote:
ouch!_that_hurts
"I am surprised that they are also offering a refund for the European QF as it says as clear as day on the ticket that "should the match be cancelled...no money will be refunded" so well done to the Club on offering a refund."
I've read somewhere - can't find it at the moment - that you can print what you like on a ticket but the law is quite specific that if an event is cancelled, the ticket price must be refunded. Other costs, such as credit card fees, etc. aren't necessarily included - it all has something to do with whether a service has been delivered.

I think you're probably referring to Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act which says that if you pay by credit card you are protected against non-supply of the good or service that you have bought, but this fundamentally relates only to a breach of contract; whereas the terms and conditions of buying a European QF ticket are, in effect, a contract between you and the Club and the terms of the contract include a financially non-refundable clause, into which you enter (freely) by purchasing the ticket. As such I don't believe that it would fall under Section 75 m'lud (as our legal friends would say). Though it would be interesting to see it argued in court, preferably on a matter totally unrelated to rugby.

MESSAGES->author
ouch!_that_hurts
31 May, 2020 10:17
ExeforEver: This is from the website of Pinsent Masons (a respected UK law firm) and while it's actually advice to an event organiser it addresses my understanding -

"If you are cancelling an event, whether due to government guidance or low attendance numbers, you may well be required to provide a refund to attendees or customers. This will primarily be driven by the terms of the contract in place. However, it is also important to bear in mind that where attendees are consumers, they may have additional statutory rights. For example, in England, consumer rights laws would entitle attendees to a refund, excluding any booking fee."

In this instance 'we' are consumers.

All that said, I still think we should congratulate Chiefs for offering the refunds; it would be interesting to see if all clubs still 'in Europe' are doing the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2020 10:19 by ouch!_that_hurts.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk
01 June, 2020 16:58
As somebody who works for a retailer I get people quoting Consumer legislation and section 75 all the time.

When it comes to Consumer rights it really comes down to how you define the product, would it be a service or a physical product?

>If defined as a product it would then fail to conform to the criteria of 'as described' as the goods supplied must match any description given to you at the time of purchase.

>If defined as a service then we would have a legally binding contract for provision of the service, therefore failure to fulfil that service can be viewed as a breach of contract.

While not an intentional breach on the part of the club, it would likely be viewed that in both cases that the Covid 19 pandemic is a valid justification for failing to honour the terms of the contract as the reason they failed to honour it is naturally beyond the ability of the club to control. Therefore any claim under the present Consumer Rights legislation likely wouldn't get very far in my honest opinion for anyone seeking a full refund as part of the service/product was fulfilled.

The offering of a partial refund for the unfulfilled games is in this case the most that would be expected from any small claims court.

Section 75 claims are ultimately at the discretion of your card provider. What happens is you approach them with the section 75 claim, they assess the claim, approach the club and enquire about and see if the club will refund them. The clubs will either release the funds, or say no, but they are required to justify this reason. If justified and the club refuse then the provider will then have to decide if a refund is justified out of their own pocket. Just submitting a claim is not a guarantee that you will get your money back as this would still be at the discretion of the card provider.

Edit: Ultimately the person bringing the claim will have to argue that Covid 19 is not a valid justification for the club to cite as a reason why they where unable to fulfil their fixtures for the remainder of this present season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 17:14 by Tom A Hawk.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
02 June, 2020 08:06
Quote:
Exeforever
Quote:
Tribester

We'll wait and see.

i didn't say it was 24 Prem games but 24 games in total if you add the A league games to the 18 games listed above. The A league games are the league equivalent of the Prem Rugby Cup games so presumably assingned the same "value".

Oh, now I understand you.

Exeforever
Exeforever
02 June, 2020 09:12
Quote:
Tribester
Quote:
Exeforever
Quote:
Tribester

We'll wait and see.

Oh, now I understand you.

Sorry if I didnt make myself clear to start with

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net