Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Goodbye Big Chief
Discussion started by plymptonchief (IP Logged), 29 July, 2020 17:32
plymptonchief
plymptonchief
29 July, 2020 17:32
In my view a very sensible compromise has been reached by the Board as the Club Statement issued earlier.

HUGHVILLE
HUGHVILLE
29 July, 2020 18:28
Correct decision. The cost of change would have prohibitive. Telling people to discard Chiefs items and buy new was never going to work. Maybe these people with nothing better to do will go away. Putting their energies to far more important current issues

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
29 July, 2020 18:34
Poor old Big Chief.

I'm not convinced the faux outraged mob will be silenced on this issue, until they feel they have won.

Let's get playing rugby to give us something else to chat about please.

tboullem
Aberavon Wizard
29 July, 2020 18:34
Common sense prevails.......!

Wizard
Franklins Gardens

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
29 July, 2020 18:47
Inevitable decision regarding big chief as he is a cartoon like character.
I'm afraid the main argument will still carry on. These people will not let go.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
29 July, 2020 19:00
Correct decision I believe..........I’m sure those campaigners who wanted more will see it as a minor victory.

I drink and forget stuff!

MESSAGES->author
Thomas Hawk
29 July, 2020 19:27
I have no problem with this. Personally have been uncomfortable with Big Chief for sometime so am not opposed with them ditching him with the branding remaining.

Have already seen the moans of some online but taking away Big Chief will take some fire out of the arguments of the change campaign as he was front and centre of their imagery on their campaign poll.

Think maybe its time for us as fans to ditch the head dresses too. Ultimately, thats on us to do rather than the club to enforce.

MESSAGES->author
minuteman
29 July, 2020 19:40
Personally ok with this decision..
However i expect that slow time a rebrand will happen as the “woke” amongst us wont let this disappear .
Gives the club some time to be proactive rather than reactive.
Hope we can now get back to supporting the players and staff of our great club
And huge thanks to the person who is big chief .. thanks 🙏🏻

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
29 July, 2020 19:41
Totally happy with this decision, like others have said, I always felt uncumfortable with the big Chiefs mascot, but Exeter have been called Chiefs for a very long time, so this is, IMO, the right decision.

Black Hawk
Black Hawk
29 July, 2020 20:34
With the issue now having been discussed at board level and the decision made, on a personal note I believe it's now right to accept the decision made and move on to enjoy watching rugby again.

16 days and counting!

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
29 July, 2020 20:50
Hope everyone calms down now...expect we will have to change the branding down the line though.

Till then...let’s focus on rugby.

Footy Chief
Footy Chief
29 July, 2020 22:55
If the Exeter Chiefs have been known as “Chiefs” since 1900 then why is the image on the crest of a Native American man? Why not use imagery from Exeter?

For the record I couldn’t really care either way, just an observation....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/07/2020 22:55 by Footy Chief.

kingofthehill
KingoftheHill
30 July, 2020 08:27
So your Board have admitted that the use of native American imagery is inappropriate but decided to continue using it? Great (non) decision

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
30 July, 2020 09:21
Quote:
KingoftheHill
So your Board have admitted that the use of native American imagery is inappropriate but decided to continue using it? Great (non) decision

No......our board admitted that Big Chief, the mascot was disrespectful and have retired him.

I drink and forget stuff!

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
30 July, 2020 10:31
Quote:
Footy Chief
If the Exeter Chiefs have been known as “Chiefs” since 1900 then why is the image on the crest of a Native American man? Why not use imagery from Exeter?
For the record I couldn’t really care either way, just an observation....

1. Think "Chiefs" started getting used within the club in the 1930s...inspired by the Maori touring teams of the 1900s.

2. What imagery? In the long term that is the question because I think all the club's decision does is put the issue on ice for a year or two. A short notice rebrand would be unfeasible.

The Native American branding was meant as an attention grabber back when we were an ambitious Championship club. I don't think anyone expected us to get heat for it untill recently.

Shy Ann
Shy Ann
30 July, 2020 10:57
Just to say that this issue just isn't going to go away is it. An alternative view would be to use this as an opportunity to re-brand and gain significant public approval in the process. A change of logo? May cost a bit but it could attract many other sponsors as a result. The keyboard warriors will probably direct all guns on our current sponsors and they will probably be defending their positions but for how long?
The bits I've read from genuine Native Americans on the subject seem to have good reasons for complaint and not being one I can't comment on whether they are right or not. Washington, Cleveland, Kansas are all facing this problem.The club say they have asked for their views so it would be helpful if they could back that up with some evidence. Its the only way to snuff this problem out.
I'll get my coat!

Hercules Spoons
Hercules Spoons
30 July, 2020 11:20
Can
Kick
Road
Down, are the words that come to mind.

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
30 July, 2020 11:28
The club board have discussed it and formed a view. That is good and retiring big chief as JS has said is something that even supporters of the 'no change' view on this board previously have said perhaps should be done. The issue is not likely to disappear however. Headgear and the Tomahawk chant will remain an issue for some and a constant reminder of an issue for some. Evolution is easier to cope with than revolution. I expect in five years there will have been further change in the club and our supporters views. I would have liked more change but really want to enjoy my rugby. if someone has headgear on by me OK - we will both be supporting the same club and delighted that there is rugby again. I hope that ShyAnn does not need a coat - she should not need it.

MESSAGES->author
Thomas Hawk
30 July, 2020 11:44
Quote:
Shy Ann
The keyboard warriors will probably direct all guns on our current sponsors and they will probably be defending their positions but for how long?

Good luck to them with that. (Sm22)

They might want to google who the Chief executive of SW Comms is before sending communications to them concerning this.

The Redskins where resistant to the changes, it wasn't until their main sponsor FEDEX threatened to pull the sponsorship that they realised a change was needed. I really don't see SW Comms pulling the sponsorship just because Tony gets a few strongly worded emails in his SW Comms inbox.

EXDJ
EXDJ
30 July, 2020 12:00
But SW Comms are not the only sponsor.

And pre-Covid, a large slice of Chiefs’ revenue came from events/conferences (which forms the business case for the hotel). After this controversy, the decision to book a conference at Sandy Park has become a bit more difficult.

How many conferences/events are we prepared to miss out on, and how much revenue are we prepared to forego, to defend the right of Devonians to wear novelty headdresses?

As I’ve said before - make the change and make it now, because this isn’t going away.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net