Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Looks like they're going to do it
Discussion started by clalan (IP Logged), 29 July, 2020 23:03
clalan
clalan
29 July, 2020 23:03
Ring fence the prem, during this period it will be an interesting time as a quarter of the teams will have nothing to play for from January. Will their games be worth watching, doubt it.

here one take

Apparently we're all going to be throwing the ball around more, all care free.
Eddie will pick more young England players, there are loads that play well regularly now, they just don't play for his old mates, who will be back before ring fencing so do not get picked.

Next stop as wanted by many sugar daddy clubs, remove the salary cap, losses in rugby are so small compared to even second tier football, so will be interesting for those like us who haven't got a sugar daddy.

MESSAGES->author
ouch!_that_hurts
30 July, 2020 09:38
That article just looks like Ruck wanting to put a stupid 'conference-type' system like the NFL forward as an option. It would, essentially, end up just like some of the Heineken Cup groups of old where whoever had the Italian clubs could be guaranteed a 2nd place spot if they didn't win their group. You could probably predict most 'play-off ' teams before the season starts:

Sale, Saracens, Quins, Leicester, Saints, Exeter, Bath and one from Bristol, Wasps and Glaws.

The model works in the NFL because of (a) the draft and (b) their salary cap. The draft makes sure that the worst teams get the best players next time round. The only way I can see this working is for all contracts to be cancelled, every players name put in a pot and teams pick them in a draft format to start the ball rolling. No marquee players, no EQP limitations, etc. Once everyone's cap is reached, anyone not picked can go elsewhere.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
30 July, 2020 10:25
Can't read the article but I have a reasonable guess what a conference system would look like and I'll believe it when I see it.

Tiverton Brave
Tiverton Brave
30 July, 2020 10:32
I was looking at the possible irony of the whole new proposal.
The Ex-Saracens executive proposing this is assuming that Sarries will bounce straight back up from their visit to the Championship.
BUT, what if they came a cropper - which they (possibly) could do and don't win promotion?
Under the new proposal, they would be destined to remain a Championship club til 2025!
What then for all their 'big stars'?
Could be a real case of Karma!
I'm really looking forward to see how many Championship teams really raise their game for when the mighty Sarries come to town.....can just see a muddy Mennaye field on a cold sunday as they run out onto the 'pitch' after that long journey from Alliance-not Park !

OldWing
OldWing
31 July, 2020 10:57
I agree with Tiverton Brave. I'm getting decidedly annoyed by the number of times people - including, but not exclusively, Eddie Jones - who are saying what a doddle it will be for Sarries in the Championship, that all their senior players will treat the year as a sabbatical and will emerge refreshed as a result, that they'll put out their third team and still walk the league. Even if it's all true, it is extraordinarily disrespectful to say so. I hope that a good number of the Championship teams will see this as their team talk and will give Sarries a decent run for their money. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Sarries stars came in for a particularly warm welcome at certain grounds. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they did fail to win the league! I bet the rules would change then pretty quickly.

SimonG19
SimonG19
31 July, 2020 14:00
It would indeed be wonderful but I'm sure the Cheats will walk the league.

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
31 July, 2020 16:53
Tiverton Brave anything is possible but as Saracens are P-share holders PRL wouldn't simply be able to close the league with them out of it. I'm sure Rowe will give it a go and good luck with that though.

Plenty of great games to watch next season in the Championship and great grounds to visit. It'll be different from what came before but none the worse for that and I doubt that the teams with ambitions for promotion will be any more or less motivated than they were this past season against Falcons or in previous seasons against Quins, Saints, etc. It will still be a monumental task and to be honest if anything bar Covid stops Saracens coming straight back up that will be an incredible achievment by that team and they'll be well worth a place in the Premiership.

In the meantime it will be good to see if Exeter can rise to the occasion. I can see you having a much tougher time of it with the rise of Bristol and Sale which, tbh, should be good for both you and the Premiership.

SimonG19
SimonG19
31 July, 2020 20:04
At least the Premiership will be an honest league for a year.

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
31 July, 2020 20:18
If you know an adult get one to read the Myners report to you Simon.

Reasonably clear that Saracens were far from alone and the change of laws re "loans" confirms what most knew namely that a large number of the league were parking players in Championship clubs to circumvent 100Ks of the cap. Oddly enough not Saracens. However if you want to keep on thinking (and I use the term loosely) that Sarcens alone infringed the cap in the last season knock yourself out.

Doesn't change that we were found to have cheated and should have been punished.

Exeforever
Exeforever
31 July, 2020 22:26
Quote:
OldMarovian
Reasonably clear that Saracens were far from alone and the change of laws re "loans" confirms what most knew namely that a large number of the league were parking players in Championship clubs to circumvent 100Ks of the cap. Oddly enough not Saracens. However if you want to keep on thinking (and I use the term loosely) that Sarcens alone infringed the cap in the last season knock yourself out.

Doesn't change that we were found to have cheated and should have been punished.

So Lance Armstrong can have all of his Tours de France victories back because he just cheated more efficiently than the others then.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
31 July, 2020 22:28
Quote:
OldMarovian

Oddly enough not Saracens? Thats because you were playing them in the first team for heavans sake! No other club was found to be cheating but you. Dont keep bringing this `poor us` nonsense into it. Enjoy your season in the championship and we look forward to resuming hostilitys the season after (if you come back up)

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
31 July, 2020 22:58
Quote:
OldMarovian
How condescending and damn rude!!

Still in denial?

And there you have it.......you cheated, not for the first time, you were finally caught and dealt with.
By rights you should walk the Championship however I think you may have a few very tough games to contend with.

I drink and forget stuff!

SimonG19
SimonG19
01 August, 2020 12:48
Quote:
OldMarovian

The usual insults from a supporter of a club who cheated the Premiership for years and wants to try to pretend they were no worse than anyone else.

Keep the insults coming. It just highlights how upset you are that your club are convicted cheats and even better it keeps the years and years of cheating fresh in everyone's mind.

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
01 August, 2020 17:24
Quote:
Exeforever
So Lance Armstrong can have all of his Tours de France victories back because he just cheated more efficiently than the others then.

Just as a matter of interest (and it's especially relevant to the comparrison you make) is cheating only to be investigated and punished if it results in success?

TMC and JS the Championship will be tough and nothing is guaranteed but I expect us to be back up sooner rather than later. When we come back up I'll look forward to visiting SP again. I get the feeling you'll have to evolve your style a bit in the coming seasons, something which will only be good for you and the league as it becomes more competitive. I'm also fascinated to see how you cope with the step up in Europe and competing on two fronts deep into the competitions.

Aw bless Simon. At some point I'll actually understand what the point of you is? You post on numerous boards, supporting no team and have no obvious interest in rugby beyond talking about Saracens cheating ... what an fascinating and varied life you must lead.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
02 August, 2020 10:47
In TRP, Gloucester owner, Martin St Quentin, reckons ring fencing is inevitable.

CullyChief
CullyChief
02 August, 2020 12:42
Ring fencing is inevitable, though why do we have to wait until Saracens are back in the Prem? If its a good idea, lets get on with it.
The part I like the least is his proposal to get rid of club academies. We have a good, successful one and I would hate to see that have to go. To be honest I find it hard to be objective about anything that comes from someone so closely associated with that cheating club, but the loss of the academy looks like the worst thing about this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net