Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Exeter Chant
Discussion started by OggyMan (IP Logged), 10 August, 2020 10:07
OggyMan
OggyMan
10 August, 2020 10:07
I would like to support a point made by Chiefs watcher on the BT thread re our chant and would welcome views.

I have long thought that the six notes that make up the chant that has become synonymous with Exeter Rugby in recent years have little in common with anything that that First Nation people in America may have used. It is derived from a tune played in some American Universities in the late Sixties/ early Seventies. It is the name and associated actions that cause offence.

I would propose that we drop the term Tomahawk Chop( the Florida State University version with arm movements was never fully taken up by Exeter anyway) and just call the six notes the Exeter Chant.

As Chiefswatcher suggests, we can sing EX - ET - ER, EX - ET - ER.

Can we make this work?

clalan
clalan
10 August, 2020 10:35
I agree, Just drop the name and actions, a group of notes cannot be associated by anybody to be offensive.
We are also growing many more Chants, which are to be encourage.
We have a proud tradition of having an atmospheric stadium, led by people like Oggyman and we know the team get lifted by it.
We must not let others dictate to us what we do at our ground when no offensive meaning can be found, a Soul less ground Sandy Park must never be, I want opposition players to have trouble hearing each other, it all helps.
What ever happens in the future with branding etc, we must continue to welcome fellow opposition supporters of this wonderful sport to our home to enjoy the day win or lose and sing loud and proud.

Dancing bare
Dancing bare
10 August, 2020 11:40
This gets my vote I think it would work very well without a fending anyone!

MESSAGES->author
minuteman
10 August, 2020 16:52
Whatís not to like Oggyman ..., good call

SimonG19
SimonG19
10 August, 2020 19:37
More censorship in this thread? I didn't agree with the post but it's getting ridiculous now.

MESSAGES->author
Kainai
10 August, 2020 19:55
How about :

Oh-Oh- Sheet- oh-oh-sheet...... 1 Million a month loss is enough to bankrupt most companies in a handshake, Tough times for all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 19:57 by Kainai.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
10 August, 2020 20:19
Quote:
SimonG19
More censorship in this thread? I didn't agree with the post but it's getting ridiculous now.

Iíve said I will delete any derogatory posts......thereís been enough on here as it is.....if you donít like it youíre welcome to leave.

I drink and forget stuff!

mommentum
mommentum
10 August, 2020 20:57
Does anyone know has any native American living in America ever approached Exeter rugby club about our chant? and I dont mean the plastic type living in Europe.

Likewise I dont see how any native American could object to a European club using the English word "chiefs" the only people who could object are the French as it came from their language "chef" . But then most culture is shared/borrowed (like the alphabet), i believe they use English culture rugby and football in France, should we object?

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
10 August, 2020 21:55
Quote:
Kainai
How about :
Oh-Oh- Sheet- oh-oh-sheet...... 1 Million a month loss is enough to bankrupt most companies in a handshake, Tough times for all

Not sure I get youíre meaning!?

Gray_Lensman
Gray_Lensman
10 August, 2020 21:57
How was my post derogatory? I wasn't vulgar, I wasn't insulting. I didn't agree with the point expressed in the first two posts but that's not the same as being derogatory. This seems rather heavy handed.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
11 August, 2020 00:27
Fortunately you are not the one who decides if your post is insulting.

JS you have a tough job, but your efforts to keep this a pleasant forum for Exeter supporters to have light hearted chat about our club, is greatly appreciated.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
11 August, 2020 07:47
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
How was my post derogatory? I wasn't vulgar, I wasn't insulting. I didn't agree with the point expressed in the first two posts but that's not the same as being derogatory. This seems rather heavy handed.

Call it what you will.....IMO it was a negative post on a thread that Oggyman started looking for support.....youíre post wasnít supportive and there was no need for the comments.......if you donít like how this forum is moderated then youíre welcome to leave.
Iíve had enough of all the negativity and bickering......so, whilst Iím moderating I shall try and be as fair and as I have before allow threads to flow but unlike before I will act sooner.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
11 August, 2020 07:47
Quote:
Tribester
JS you have a tough job, but your efforts to keep this a pleasant forum for Exeter supporters to have light hearted chat about our club, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

MESSAGES->author
Kainai
11 August, 2020 08:55
Deleted due to not including quote

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2020 08:57 by Kainai.

MESSAGES->author
Kainai
11 August, 2020 08:59
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
Kainai
How about :

Not sure I get youíre meaning!?

The club are reportedly missing out on 1 Million per month at the moment which isnít sustainable.

Sarriebone
Sarriebone
11 August, 2020 10:18
Quote:
Tribester

Yet your board get to decide what's insulting to native Americans.... anyone else see the irony?

emohawk
emohawk
11 August, 2020 10:39
Yes I do and until the board can come up with evidence that we have got approval from a genuine Native American authority then others will continue to post comments like this. Amended chant is a good step.

alphachief
alphachief
11 August, 2020 10:48
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
Tribester

Yet your board get to decide what's insulting to native Americans.... anyone else see the irony?
Oh dear, you do really need to get over it matey.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
11 August, 2020 11:44
Im really thinking i might not bother going to a match again.
The chop is a badly sung (i use the term loosely) drone that could be anything. Why the F do we have to change it!! It resembles nothing . Are the drums ok? Do we have to stop drumming? Getting silly now. Time to go i think.

SimonG19
SimonG19
11 August, 2020 11:56
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
SimonG19

Iíve said I will delete any derogatory posts......thereís been enough on here as it is.....if you donít like it youíre welcome to leave.

You are doing yourself and your club no favours with the way you are behaving.

If you want an "Aren't Exeter Wonderful" rah-rah board where there will be no meaningful discussion then I think I won't bother reading it and I doubt I will be on my own.

(And I speak as someone who though the latest deleted post was nonsense).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net