Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Can someone put me straight, please?
Discussion started by DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged), 10 September, 2020 19:37
MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad
10 September, 2020 19:37
A technical question ... I thought it was illegal to latch before the carrier received the ball. I might be talking cr@p, and happy to be corrected, as I can't remember the source, it might have been a dream!

plymptonchief
plymptonchief
10 September, 2020 20:05
I'm with you DumnoniiNomad and am sure that it is not legal, but it remains very difficult to determine when the "latch" is complete. Do a couple of forwards with their arms draped affectionately around each other qualify as a latch. The BT commentators seem to actually applaud the early latch.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
11 September, 2020 11:35
I always thought that the carrier had to lift the ball before the latcher latches on in the same way the nine has to lift the ball before he can be tackled.

matt2fat
matt2fat
11 September, 2020 13:14
Iíve always thought this too and felt we could easily get pinged for it. I know itís not just Chiefs who do it but it is a consistent part of our game play. Iíll try asking Wayne Barnes and Nigel Owens on Twitter and see if they reply.

Bfatopsham
Not Manichean
11 September, 2020 18:37
There was lot of fuss many years ago about the so called 'Flying Wedge' which was explicitly outlawed.

AFAIK, the laws haven't changed and the latchers should only bind when the carrier makes contact. This is very frequently not the case and all teams seem to be using it, although Ex are more effective than most.

I'm sure it will get called out at some point. Chiefs are exceptionally good at pushing the margins on some of these tactics but success means that we are being scrutinised more closely now.

matt2fat
matt2fat
11 September, 2020 22:45
Got a reply from Nigel Owens:

ď Yes illegal to latch before player has ball in open playĒ

[twitter.com]

So yes as above, I think chiefs (and some others) are very good at pushing the boundaries. It might get picked up as a focus of referees in the future- but for now I guess itís going fairly under the radar.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
12 September, 2020 06:52
I think now the question has been asked of Mr Owens it might get highlife lol!

I drink and forget stuff!

Lastofthemohawks
Lastofthemohawks
12 September, 2020 10:29
Guys

Nigel Owens has confirmed that what we do clearly isn't illegal!!!!

It is illegal to bind to the ball carrier BEFORE he receives the ball. The flying wedge was when 2-3 or 4 players bound to a potential ball carrier first and then the scrum half or another player would tap and pass the ball to one of these bound up players who would run forward together.

We do it with a player (normally hooker) who taps to himself and runs as our players then start to bind to him which is legal as they bind after he is in possession!!

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
12 September, 2020 14:04
Quote:
matt2fat
Got a reply from Nigel Owens:
ď Yes illegal to latch before player has ball in open playĒ

[twitter.com]

So yes as above, I think chiefs (and some others) are very good at pushing the boundaries. It might get picked up as a focus of referees in the future- but for now I guess itís going fairly under the radar.

Maybe not the best idea to push this to the top of the pile then!

Bfatopsham
Not Manichean
12 September, 2020 15:16
There is some interesting debate about it on a refs forum here.

[www.rugbyrefs.com]

And here

[www.rugbyrefs.com]

It seems even the officials are not entirely certain!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2020 16:04 by Not Manichean.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
12 September, 2020 19:12
Quote:
Lastofthemohawks
Guys
Nigel Owens has confirmed that what we do clearly isn't illegal!!!!

It is illegal to bind to the ball carrier BEFORE he receives the ball. The flying wedge was when 2-3 or 4 players bound to a potential ball carrier first and then the scrum half or another player would tap and pass the ball to one of these bound up players who would run forward together.

It would have been useful if Nigel had posted a link to the law, as I cannot find it.

MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad
12 September, 2020 21:17
Thanks all for the clarity - and protecting my sanity. My reason for asking was the Gloucester seem a little blatant in the first quarter, but not pinged. No criticism of the tactics, just gratitude for the feedback.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net